Going to drop 100lbs!

Options
Hey friends! I need to lose about 100lbs to be at a healthy BMI so I am super excited and motivated to start this journey! I’d love to add some friends on this app to keep me coming back to log and to see your progress to keep me inspired ! I am a 22y/o college student from Canada, so if you have any good tips for eating clean and cheap definitely let me know ! My first goal is to eat healthy as that is what i struggle most with but I have access to the gym for free which is awesome, and a pool so I’m going to try to pick up a healthy hobby too. What are your goals ?

Replies

• annaleegetsfit
    annaleegetsfit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SW: 227 GW: 140-130ish (5’3)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have trouble eating healthily, and you need to lose weight, and you want to eat cheap? Let's break it up:

To lose weight, you have to eat less. Less food costs less money. If you're overweight, losing weight will in itself improve your health. A healthy diet is just about getting in everything you need every day, but at the same time not too much of anything over time. This can be done in an indefinite number of ways, so you should definitely be able to find a way that you find affordable, easy and pleasureable. You can eat anything you like in moderation, no foods are mandatory, no foods are off limits.

Healthy eating is not just having a healthy diet, it's having a relaxed and trusting relationship with food too. Clean eating can mean anything, so it means nothing; the concept is harmless at best, at its worst it can make it more difficult to eat healthily. When you aim to feed yourself reliably and enjoyably, you will naturally steer towards a balanced and varied diet - a healthy diet.
  • Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    40 years old. SW: 310 GW: 170 (5'8)
    140 lbs. to lose.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I sent you a FR. I’m on here pretty much every day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I'm currently down 113 lbs and at a healthy weight, was morbidly obese this time last year. Just weigh and log everything, and get in some good exercise to increase the number of calories you can eat, and the time will pass before you know it!

Buying a good food scale is one of the best investments you can make. Mine was about twenty bucks on Amazon, and has a small footprint but allows me to weigh a whole giant pot of food, in the pot. You may be able to get away with not measuring as you learn, but when you start it helps to measure everything and learn what a portion looks like.

Do you have a full kitchen? Cooking at home definitely makes it easier to stay satisfied on less calories, since most restaurants add sugar and fats to their food. Some inexpensive lean proteins include roast chicken, pork tenderloin, tuna, cottage cheese, and all kinds of beans. Fresh fruit and veg can get expensive but frozen is just as good nutritionally. Since it's winter, roasted root vegetables are a great idea - cut up butternut squash, carrots, onions, turnips, anything you happen to like, add a little salt and seasoning and spray olive oil on a baking sheet. Cook lots and reheat later, and you will be less tempted to run out for other food.

Best of luck to you!
  • annaleegetsfit
    Options
    You can do this! I'm currently down 113 lbs and at a healthy weight, was morbidly obese this time last year. Just weigh and log everything, and get in some good exercise to increase the number of calories you can eat, and the time will pass before you know it!

Buying a good food scale is one of the best investments you can make. Mine was about twenty bucks on Amazon, and has a small footprint but allows me to weigh a whole giant pot of food, in the pot. You may be able to get away with not measuring as you learn, but when you start it helps to measure everything and learn what a portion looks like.

Do you have a full kitchen? Cooking at home definitely makes it easier to stay satisfied on less calories, since most restaurants add sugar and fats to their food. Some inexpensive lean proteins include roast chicken, pork tenderloin, tuna, cottage cheese, and all kinds of beans. Fresh fruit and veg can get expensive but frozen is just as good nutritionally. Since it's winter, roasted root vegetables are a great idea - cut up butternut squash, carrots, onions, turnips, anything you happen to like, add a little salt and seasoning and spray olive oil on a baking sheet. Cook lots and reheat later, and you will be less tempted to run out for other food.

Best of luck to you!

Whattt no way!! Way to go! Would you believe that I just picked up a little food scale !? I figure I underestimate the amount of food I eat so this was the perfect thing for me to buy! I’m so happy you brought it up! It was a bit of an impulse buy for me !

Also I do have a full kitchen, and I adore cooking, so I’m looking forward to making food that is good for me. I’m a major foodie so that’s definitely my biggest struggle, I’ll just learn to indulge in moderation :) I also made a little list of healthy restaurants I could try.

I’m looking forward to stocking up my fridge with lots of good stuff.

• ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm down 124 pounds since March. I'd love to be of help!
  • annaleegetsfit
    Options
    cwells16 wrote: »
    I'm down 124 pounds since March. I'd love to be of help!

That’s amazing ! I’d love that !!
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Annelee! I sent you a request. I'm a student too so I get it, food is costly. Eating healthy food is important- just eating whatever and staying under your calorie goal will provide some weight loss but for long term health, your body needs a balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables which can be expensive. I find I eat more now because much of it is fresh produce. But if you like to cook, it's doable even on a tight budget. And any good diet needs room for quality indulgences.
    50+lbs down and going for 50 more. We're around the same height & age.