Juicing

Options
Who has juiced before? I got a Breville juicer for Christmas and besides the fact the amount of veg and fruit I put in doesn't yield as much juice as I was expecting, I am loving it! My favorite one so far was celery, spinach, lemon, apple, and ginger. Has anyone used juicing to aid in their weight loss? Any tips fora beginner juicer?

Replies

• amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with juicing. It didn't help with weight loss or anything, I just loved it. Carrot/apple/ginger, carrot/orange/ginger were my favorites. My roommates and I juiced so many carrots we turned orange. I don't juice any more. I moved and don't have the space to store the mountains of veggies I'd have buy to get them at a reasonable cost.
  • Kristina79Marie
    Kristina79Marie Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I just got a magic bullet for Christmas. im using it for fruit smoothies because I don't get enough in a day.

I have yet to try veggie smoothies :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great, but i don't do it too often anymore. It always makes me feel great to have a large portion of a juice loaded with fresh greens from the garden. Good luck with your new juicer!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm a juicer

but I use it to get specific nutrients from specific veggies not weight loss

These educational links are worth reading. If you really get into it there are much better machines than your Breville

https://www.ukjuicers.com/info/juicer-info

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRvFS1iY_1tBAncR6sHBkJg
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You are soooo much better off making smoothies. No fiber is bad. Everything is taken up quickly and as such converted to sugar, so then your blood gets a huge influx of sugar with nothing to slow it down. Additionally most of the really important vitamins yielded especially from dark green leafys is fat soluble, so you need some fat to get full benes. The very last thing you want to do when trying to lose weight is play fast and loose with blood sugar!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have a ninja IQ and I lourve it. It also has single serve sizes so you aren't tempted to make too much and thus consume too many calories. It's also excellent for making your coffee super frothy and of course, frappuccinos.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love juice. Guess I'm one of the few (or the only one) who actually uses it for weight loss. I have low energy, Fibro, cfs, and arthritis. Juice gives me enough energy I can exercise, and I FEEL better, so I eat better. My favorites for flavor are celery, cucumber, beets, and pear.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I also use my juicer for juicing specific vegetables for nutrients in addition to regular eating, and not for weight loss. I have the Hurom slow juicer which I love, and a Nutribullet too for smoothies. I only make an almond milk, pb, cocoa and banana (I make the almond milk fresh in my juicer) smoothie using the Nutribullet. I also use the Nutribullet to make gazpacho and more like a food processer sometimes to blend vegetables i'm using in a soup.

I disagree about the smoothies being better than juice for everyone. I cannot digest that many raw veggies in a smoothie. I do not bother with fruits in a smoothie because it's too many calories. I usually do not juice fruits either because of the high calories/sugar content, but now and then will make a small glass of apple juice or apple strawberry juice. You have to be extra careful with fruits when it comes to juices or smoothies because they can have a lot of calories, which would derail your weight loss if you go over your deficit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    obviously juicing is a great thing to do.. you end up getting a days worth of vegetable and fruit in a glass. i agree that smoothies are my first choice since the entire fruit and vegetable is blended and you get all the fiber.

however... you'll get really healthy drinking juices too. nice Christmas gift!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion? Way too much work/clean up/waste for a piddly glass of sugar water.

This
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just throw fruit in a blender and call it a Chunky when I don't feel like 'eating'. Rarely do I get a smoothie or a juice of decent consistency.