Diet Myth #4: Avoid carbohydrates to lose weight

Options
Facts: It is important to limit the amount of carbohydrates in your diet that come from white flour and sugar. However, people who go to extremes to cut out the carbs are missing out on a very important food group that includes fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. Allow 45 percent to 50 percent of your diet to come from these healthy carb sources (half of those from veggies). Then fill in the rest with about 25 percent to 30 percent healthy fat and 15 percent to 20 percent lean protein. Severly limiting carbs will result in the loss of more muscle and water than fat. Balance is the key.

Replies

• fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love these daily tips, I am learning so much that I never knew and you are getting them from a very reliable source. thanks
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yep, I feel like I am telling people this every single day.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of carbs from vegetables and fruits but I limit my carbs from whole grains to 1 serving per day
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree. Carbs are essential in muscle development.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Carbs give you energy to move!!! Protein to help build muscle it is all important but yes this no carb craz is a little bit much i think, kinda crazy because back in the 90 i ate carbs carbs and carbs and exercised ate low fat but when it was fat it was good fat that is when i lost 70 pounds. I kept it off for 15 years. It was when i quit exercising is when i gained some of it back!! YOU are dead on RIGHT
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I only eat "green carbs". Meaning: veggies and fruits. No white potatoes, no grains, no legumes. I'm on a paleo style diet, and I've never felt better in my whole life. My macros are: 50% fat (good fats from extra virgin coconut oil/extra virgin olive oil, nuts, meats, eggs, avocados, etc.), 30% protein, and 20% carbs from vegetation and the occasional spoonful of raw honey. When I ate in the dietary guidelines that you outlined, I was skinny fat and miserable. Now, I actually have lean muscle and feel fantastic. Do what works for you and gets you the best results.

OH, and I'm not in ketosis. I watch my health vigilantly. :)
  • mindy1719
    mindy1719 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I' restricted to 150 carbs a day per my cnp. When she told me that I thought that wasnt many, but now I find my self having to eat stuff to make sure I get my carbs for the day. I believe it was my instructor at school who told me it's not healthy to eliminate a complete food group from your diet. Very unhealthy. I<3 mfp!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    This is true! I see so many bodybuilders and such on the protein overload mentality, but without any notion of carbs as well,

Everything works together in coordination so you need a balance of each at every meal to function at optimal levels.

I see a ton of people downing protein shakes after their workouts....which is fine....but if they don't contain any carbohydrate content, they're really not doing much since you need to replenish the muscle glycogen stores which comes from carbohydrate.

Then, since your carb intake is being used as fuel, it sends a signal to break down fatty acids (aka burn fat) rather than convert excess to Store fat).

It's all a cycle of taking everything together in proper proportions....not cutting things out. :-)

Cheers to you!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    very true, and a great post
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates make your body release insulin. Insulin allows your body to convert essential acids into energy to keep you moving. Without carbohydrates, nothing from your food can be metabolised into energy so your body rapes your fat stores and muscles for daily energy.

Now there's a difference between simple carbs you get from refined sugar, white bread etc and complex carbs you get from veggies and wholegrains. Simple carbs are fast burning so they make your body release lots of insulin in one go, which means that you have more energy from your food than you need to use as you're getting about so your body stores the excess as fat - as an aside, this is also the cause of sugar crashing, but that's another subject. Complex carbs give a slow release of insulin so the energy from your food is released over the whole period between meals, meaning you get the right amount of nutrients to keep you going throughout the day with little excess being stored as reserves.

If you cut out carbs completely, you will lose weight but it will be indiscriminately fat and muscle. Also, insulin is linked to diabetes so it's certainly not something you want to cut out of your diet - hence it's not recommended for a long term eating plan.

And if you're trying to build muscle without carbs, you'll definitely fail as you need the insulin released by the carbs to allow the protein to be assimilated into your body. It's a physical impossibility to build muscle with no carbs no matter how much protein you eat.

This is a bit of a back of a *kitten* packet explanation but the basics are there I think.

In summary - Yes you can cheat your body. No it isn't clever or healthy.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    Who in this thread is zero carb? Do you know how many cups of organic baby greens, brussel sprouts, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. you can eat and still only spend 20% of your daily calories on them? A TON.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Do you know how many cups of organic baby greens, brussel sprouts, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. you can eat and still only spend 20% of your daily calories on them? A TON.

I hear that! When I started this thing, I was eating some massive salads for my lunch but thanks to my food diary on MFP, I noticed that although I was eating a ton of food and struggling to get through it all, it was only about 80 calories! Couldn't hit my paltry 1200 calorie daily target no matter what I tried. I switched out half the salad for some turkey or chicken or tuna and I'm finding myself more satisfied, less stuffed and it's easier to match my target calories each day - and now I've switched them up to 1400.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Great tips besides the ratios. For guys like me trying to gain muscle while losing fat, 40-50% carbs is way too much. 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats are the ratios I use for my diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So true!! If someone had asked me I would have said I eat a high carb diet. But since I started logging I find myself struggling to get my daily carbs and not go over on protein. I'm doing better with the carbs, but still can't keep the protein down (it's those darn almonds!!!)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I believe it's the carb choices that are more important and personally prefer to get them from vegetables mostly and fruit. On MFP I've set my ratios to 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein. Fat does not make you fat, and my fat choices are plant fats (i.e., avocado, olive oil, coconut milk/oil etc.) as well as found in fish, lean red meat (grass fed when I can get it), and poultry, and finally nuts like walnuts, macadamia and such.

BTW, carbs are not a food group :-)
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    I believe it's the carb choices that are more important and personally prefer to get them from vegetables mostly and fruit. On MFP I've set my ratios to 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein. Fat does not make you fat, and my fat choices are plant fats (i.e., avocado, olive oil, coconut milk/oil etc.) as well as found in fish, lean red meat (grass fed when I can get it), and poultry, and finally nuts like walnuts, macadamia and such.

BTW, carbs are not a food group :-)
    ^^This.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Great tips besides the ratios. For guys like me trying to gain muscle while losing fat, 40-50% carbs is way too much. 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats are the ratios I use for my diet.

Sounds about right to me. So long as you have enough carbs to convert your protein to energy and muscle recovery. Plus choosing the right types of carbs.

I'd say a balanced split is one third carbs, one third protein, one third fats. Breaking it down further, the fats should be one third poly, one third mono and one third saturated - although that's damn hard to monitor because most foods don't give you the poly and mono stats. I just try and keep my sat fat under a third of my total fats.

I say that although I set my goals to 45 carb, 30 protein and 25 fat with one third of fat being sat fat. I usually have no trouble keeping to my fat and sat fat goals but I struggle to keep my protein up and carbs down overall.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    As an interesting aside on the subject of choosing which types of carbs to get, I've read that professional bodybuilders often stick to complex carbs most of the day but purposely take simple carbs like pure white sugar along with a protein shake directly after workouts to put their body into a state whereby it will take as much of the acids from the protein to increase the muscle recovery.

Not something I'd go for but interesting to stimulate thought about the timing of different macro nutrients in with your bodies needs.

Or am I overthinking it all? lol!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    YAY, another carb-lover! :flowerforyou:

I'm vegan, so even my protein (beans and bean products) have carbs! I agree, healthy carbs are... healthy. :laugh:

But I won't bash any low-carbers because I know that it works for many people, and that for some it's doctor recommended. Not for me, though.

:heart: :heart: :heart: CARBS :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that I opened your post thinking I'd disagree with it completely. However, I whole-heartedly 100% agree with you! You are SO right!