Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Resolutioner Season

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I've been working out from home a lot, since I'm still new enough at the gym (November) to be a bit foggy on the etiquette of when it's busy. I will go really early on the weekend because it's only me and the older people there at that hour. Regardless of the reason or time of year, I just don't enjoy a busy gym.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of going to my gym last night after work, thinking that it wasn't very busy this weekend so it wouldn't be too bad during the week. I was totally wrong. I got there around 6:30 and it was an absolute MADHOUSE. I've never seen it like that. People practically on top of each other in the weights and lifting areas, and only a handful of free machines in the cardio area (at least 2 of which were out of order - I'd also note that neither of those machines was out of order when I was there over the weekend). There were so many people particularly in the free weights area that I felt it might actually not be safe to try to workout in that area.

So I guess until at least February I'll probably stick with working out at home during the week and gym on the weekends which even this past weekend was surprisingly not busy at all. If I had started going to the gym as a new years resolution like a lot of people and constantly had to workout in that kind of atmosphere, I'd give up too!
    I went to the gym after work last week and had the same experience. I have kids to get to so I can’t stand around waiting forever. Not only was all the equipment in use but there were a lot of people standing around waiting as well. The treadmills were even all in use. Sucks.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Really most gyms encourage this. So hate the manegment as well as the resolutioners. For years money was tight enough that gym membership was hard. In Nov-Dec when it got colder and it was harder to be active, I’d start looking for a gym. You typically save a ton by starting in Jan rather than oct-dec, so I would wait and make do with home workouts. And by Apr it’s easy to do fun stuff ouside to workout, so I’d save money my dropping the membership.

Also, I’ve moved a bunch of times and typically waited til it was cheaper to join. Aug and Jan were the months I found they waived fee the most. Saving $50-$100 on signup means I can buy more cake
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Pretty good article on this. It is not a negative article as some might think of the title. It goes into differences of training vs' exercise. It puts forth the idea that following a reasonable training program has a better chance of making real changes that encourage people to make life-changing habits.

https://startingstrength.com/article/new-years-resolutions-and-your-lazy-*kitten*