A little intimidated - I can finally get back to a regular exercise regime after 5 months off.

Options
Well, more or less ... I still need a little more time, another 1-2 months, before I can do almost everything I had been doing regularly, 3-5/6 times a week for the past 5-6 years.

I had to basically drop out of doing much about 4 1/2 months ago. I had an accident, and ended up breaking a number of body parts that were fairly important in any exercise regimen - broke my leg in 2 places, broke my thumb, tore a ligament, and fractured some wrist bones, had a rotator cuff injury, and also a pretty good concussion going for about a month. A couple of surgeries, about 8 weeks on crutches, a cast on my hand for a month plus a splint for another month, plus a lot of physical therapy, and all of that is pretty much resolved.

And, just to cap off the year - I went through with an already-planned surgery on my foot in late November; not an accident, just arthritic degeneration, so I had two joints fused, a couple of toes straightened, and I just had a protruding wire pulled out yesterday. I'm still in a "boot" for a few more weeks, but at least I'm not on crutches, I was for the first few weeks.

So, I more or less can get back to it. I have my first one on one session scheduled the week after next week, and eventually will go back to doing an AM boot camp as well.

And, it's a little intimidating, because I know I've lost strength, I've gained a few pounds (because exercise balances out the fact I like to eat the wrong foods).

Crikey ... I need to make this go well.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start off slow and easy, just like a beginner would. Stay consistent and you will get to where you want to go.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Seconding @lorrpb - start slow, really slow, and, if lifting, light.

Make sure you have got back a basic fitness level before starting the boot camp.

It will take time, but you will get there.

Cheers, h.
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I’m sure it will be hard at first. But anything worth doing is going to have its struggles. It’s those challenges that define our victories. It will soon get easier. Hang tough.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had to restart after 2 different surgeries. I was amazed how quickly my body atrophies. In fact a one week vacay and my quads will burn the next week. So go at your own pace and just know you’ll build back up. You’re strong and you’ll get back.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Well, more or less ... I still need a little more time, another 1-2 months, before I can do almost everything I had been doing regularly, 3-5/6 times a week for the past 5-6 years.

I had to basically drop out of doing much about 4 1/2 months ago. I had an accident, and ended up breaking a number of body parts that were fairly important in any exercise regimen - broke my leg in 2 places, broke my thumb, tore a ligament, and fractured some wrist bones, had a rotator cuff injury, and also a pretty good concussion going for about a month. A couple of surgeries, about 8 weeks on crutches, a cast on my hand for a month plus a splint for another month, plus a lot of physical therapy, and all of that is pretty much resolved.

And, just to cap off the year - I went through with an already-planned surgery on my foot in late November; not an accident, just arthritic degeneration, so I had two joints fused, a couple of toes straightened, and I just had a protruding wire pulled out yesterday. I'm still in a "boot" for a few more weeks, but at least I'm not on crutches, I was for the first few weeks.

So, I more or less can get back to it. I have my first one on one session scheduled the week after next week, and eventually will go back to doing an AM boot camp as well.

And, it's a little intimidating, because I know I've lost strength, I've gained a few pounds (because exercise balances out the fact I like to eat the wrong foods).

Crikey ... I need to make this go well.

Good luck!!! I know this is better said than done, but take it easy when you get back into it. Listen to your body. I also had foot surgery (reconstruction) in late November and am having the most difficult time taking my own advice - I just want to be back up to par with how much I was lifting before but my body isn't allowing it for some movements (like squats & DL's...which both happen to be my favorite). Honestly though, it makes you more appreciative of actually being in the gym though. I went from being non-weight bearing for two weeks, to crutches for two and then boot for two. Now I LOVE not having anything on my foot and just being able to move around even when it hurts. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I started last night with my trainer. We're just going to do upper body and non-weight bearing things for a few weeks. It was fine, other than the fact that I'm really sore today in my arms and upper back, since I've not really done anything with those muscles in a long time.