Excercise calories wrong?

Options
It seems that the exercise calories burned on this site are wrong. I have googled exercise calories burned and they are always lower than the ones here. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.? And what about the food calories? I am wondering if their wrong too? I hope not:frown:

Replies

• ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    If I don't think the calorie counts are correct, I goggle the product or if I have it at home, will check the package. Most products normally have nutritional information on their sites, as do restaurants, pizza places, etc. I have also checked other exercise sites, and if it isn't the same as MFP, I'll average the two. I also use the calculations in the Calorie King book to figure them out.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    lol ^ she means the exercise calories..but yeah mfp can be a little off but be careful because i thought mfp overestimated my burned calories and when i bought my heart rate monitor it turned out i was actually burning MORE than what mfp entered. so it really just depends. i figured if i was going to go through the trouble of logging what i eat and monitoring my caloric intake i might as well have my calories burned as accurate as possible. thanks to my friends on here i actually found a polar ft4 on amazon.com for almost half the original price, brand new and i absolutely love it. hope this helped a bit.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    For me i've found not much difference in calories burnt by my hrm to mfp. The big difference was when there was not an exact comparison, like Zumba for example.
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    For me i've found not much difference in calories burnt by my hrm to mfp. The big difference was when there was not an exact comparison, like Zumba for example.

google zumba calories burnt
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors are a billion times more accurate for you than any web site.

If you bike as fast as you can for an hour vs casual biking for an hour is going to give a different burn
    rate (other factors affect that also.... fitness level... sleep... etc). All sites are going to average everything
    to the middle.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you have to lose. Most of the time when you look up an exercise, it is based on how many calories a 150 lbs woman or a 175 lbs man would burn. If you are a woman or man who weighs more than that, you will burn more calories. As you lose weight, you will notice your calorie burns go down for the same amount of exercise.
  • sharishar
    sharishar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I programmed each piece of equipment in the gym with my weight and logged the calories burned for each one, then created them on the exercise section and I now have an accurate as can be calorie burn counter.

Hope this helps