Be honest!

Options
Well we are nearing the New Year again and I am at my heaviest weight AGAIN! I have been trying to lose weight for over 10 years now since having my children. I really don't know why I can't stick to it!? I have never reached goal but have managed to lose in excess of 50lbs when on a roll (a few years back). I do have a stressful job - that requires long hours alongside a young family - still no excuse though.

I want your honest opinion on what I should try and change for the New Year to support my weight loss. And any idea why I haven't been determined with enough to shift this weight in over 10 years? I do miss being slimmer and fitter. I actually miss shopping - hate doing this now.

Best of luck with your fitness regime - keep up the fab work. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately a bunch of strangers on the internet can’t tell you why you can’t stick to it. Only you can answer that.

What I can tell you is that it doesn’t have to be complicated. It’s simply calories. You don’t have to give up certain foods or anything. You simply have to eat less, move more (preferably both) and stay within a calorie goal that is a deficit.

A good tool would be a food scale and weigh everything solid, measure everything liquid. Yes it’s daunting at first but you get used to it. Doing that will give you the knowledge and security knowing exactly how much you are eating so you truly know how many calories you have to work with. When you can’t weigh, do the best you possibly can.

It’s tough at first, but if you stick with it, every day, every meal, it will become second nature!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Avant Nads36! Weigh accurately and record faithfully the food you eat. My honest opinion is that this is all you need to do every single day.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Do you want it enough to work for it? Are you willing make some changes to get to where you want to be? \

Weight loss is simple and yet difficult. Eat sufficiently to support the weight you want to weigh. If you exercise, you will need to consume more calories. The choices you make impact your total physical, psychological and emotional health. It is difficult because you must undo very entrenched habits, you will need to change automatic behaviors. Eating is ingrained into our survival, but also our social lives, we use it to cope with anxiety. Some of these aspects will be more difficult than others.

But the good news is you dont have to do an abrupt 180. In fact, it might be better to work on 2 maybe 3 habits at a time. You are better off developing life long healthier habits and skills.

So it is as simple as move more and eat healthier; and it is as difficult as changing a lot of behaviors. But you dont have to reboot your entire life at once. A habit or two at a time will get you there and keep you there.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Another voter for a food diary. Track every day no matter what.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did reply...not sure where it went though! Just want to say a big thank you for taking the time to reply. I agree that it has to be small gradual steps as when I do it drastically it's not sustainable. I will definitely plan meals and take time out to track daily. Keep up the fantastic work guys and thanks once again! :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Id eat 250 calories under your tdee each day.
    Eat all the foods you like, don't cut anything out just reduce the volume.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't stick to it because you start and stop diets. You need to think lifestyle changes, not something you do till you lose weight and then stop.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You don't stick to it because you choose not to. When you finally decide to stop putting yourself on the back burner and take it seriously and use MFP the proper way (Without attaching it to a fad diet or something ridiculous) you will have success.