Abdominal separation

Options
Beaudom91
Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone! I Was just wondering who here has experienced abdominal separation? My ab muscles tore during my second pregnancy (big baby plus dangerous amounts of amniotic fluid) and I know this cannot be fixed without surgery but has anyone had any success with exercise (I'm thinking resistance/ weights since I already do a lot of cardio) in strengthening what is left of the muscles I have there? I want to tone up and strengthen my core as much as possible but I'd hate to make the situation worse.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Since everyones damage would be different person to person, this sounds like something you should ask your doctor about.
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did but she really wasn't much help. I pretty much just got a "sucks to be you" response
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had a significant abdominal separation which was repaired in Jun-17 - it was major surgery. I found that although I'd lost 100+lbs of weight I just didn't have much ab strength no matter what I did to exercise. Over 3 years I did yoga, swimming, walking and the gym but just couldn't improve. Six months on and well on the recovery path I've joined CrossFit and the strength is now building - 150 wall balls today, lol. My swimming has improved in terms of distance and strength - I struggled to get past 1km, but now doing 1.6-1.8km. All I can say is that it was worth the operation for my long term health.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should get a referral to see a Physical Therapist.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Beaudom91 wrote: »
    I did but she really wasn't much help. I pretty much just got a "sucks to be you" response

Then you need a referral to a doctor or physio that can help.
    You need guidance with what you can do, as some common ab exercises, such as crunches, can make diastasis recti worse.

This.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I remember a woman posting on a baby forum...shes a physio/post partum exercise person. I think her website is something like befitmon or something. She has good exercises that help to knit those back together. Obviously it will only go so far...but its a good place to start without causing further damage
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the size and location of your gap. I had a 2 finger gap post pregnancy and, through working with a physical therapist, got it to close all the way. Definitely get in to see a physical therapist. They may be able to save you from having to have surgery.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have successfully closed my diastasis by following a programme at https://www.pregnancyexercise.co.nz .
    I have had 3 big babies (10lbs 3, 10lbs 4 and 10lbs 4) with my third I also suffered from polyhydraminos (too much amniotic fluid) so most of the damage was done then. You have to be careful as some exercises like crunches and planks actually make the separation worse not better. Make sure you follow a programme that is specifically designed to mend abdominal separation so that you don't make things worse. The website I mentioned earlier belongs to a physiotherapist and I had amazing success following her programmes.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy but have an umbilical hernia. Are these programs good for that also? I really would like to avoid surgery.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I'm a guy but have an umbilical hernia. Are these programs good for that also? I really would like to avoid surgery.

No, you are likely to make your hernia worse by doing too much. A hernia is different to diastasis in that with a hernia you have some part of your internal anatomy (the lining of your abdomen, your omentum or your bowel) protruding out of the hole in your peritoneum whereas with diastasis you have separation of muscles without a a hole. Diastasis is a problem in that it reduces your core strength and may be visually unappealing but doesn't have life threatening implications usually.

Surgery really is the only option for hernia if you don't like the appearance of your hernia or if it is causing you pain or if part of your bowel is at risk of getting stuck in there (potentially life threatening).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

No, you are likely to make your hernia worse by doing too much. A hernia is different to diastasis in that with a hernia you have some part of your internal anatomy (the lining of your abdomen, your omentum or your bowel) protruding out of the hole in your peritoneum whereas with diastasis you have separation of muscles without a a hole. Diastasis is a problem in that it reduces your core strength and may be visually unappealing but doesn't have life threatening implications usually.

Surgery really is the only option for hernia if you don't like the appearance of your hernia or if it is causing you pain or if part of your bowel is at risk of getting stuck in there (potentially life threatening).

Nothing is sticking out but there is a hole there.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    My sister had this issue after caesarians for two extremely babies (comparative to her size). She had no core strength whatsover and was experiencing backpain. She had surgery to fix it, she was and still is pleased on the outcome.