Recipe ideas & exact calorie count

Options
myrzee
myrzee Posts: 17 Member
Hey team,

So I'm starting MFP for the 4th or 5th time now :D One thing that led me to stop all previous attempts, was to make a meal plan that would easily amount to 1300-1400 kcal per day, that could quickly be logged into MFP. The whole process of having to weigh your food, chose go-to ingredients, make sure you put the right amount of extras (oil, condiments, spices...) was a real deterrent to continuing my diet. I'll admit there must have been some laziness, but I've also had to move a lot for work: new countries = new ingredients = new shopping habits = having to start all over again.

I have found on some websites (Cosmopolitan and the likes) some recipes, but always far-fetched, plus I don't trust their calorie count. However, I trust you guys. ;)

Do you know of any websites that have a number of basic recipes that can be detailed down to the ingredient (like MFP does)? I've seen MFP has a new "Meal collection" section that proposes exactly this (great move!), but at the moment there are not too many recipes.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    best bet for simplicity is to add up all ingredients in measured amounts, it takes some time but once you have a better understanding of the calorie content you will be happy with the work
  • myrzee
    Options
    Thanks @veganfanatic, that's exactly what I did - and try to do. It would be great to have some kind of recipe database with calorie information for inspiration, though.
  • Holly1013
    Holly1013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They really do need to step up their game. It would be great to come on here and find recipes to follow and make it easier to start over without deleting your account and starting a new one.
  • myrzee
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry to hear you had to start another account, I managed to keep mine throughout all 4-5 attempts (for that reason, you'll find nothing interesting in my logs) ;)
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com great recipes and I have found their calorie counts to be accurate

Also Calorieking.com for checking on some calories. For instance if you use 80:20 ground beef, the calories on the package are for the raw product, not the cooked finished product. Calorie King can help with this.
  • rogertoliver
    rogertoliver Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having a database of recipes where the nutritional values are accurate would be almost impossible, in my opinion. Everytime I make a recipe, one or more of the ingredients has a different nutritional breakdown making it next to impossible to create my own database of recipes. I have found it best, for me, to weight and record every ingredient based on the nutritional information times the number of servings per container. I then add up all of the nutritional totals and divide by the number of servings I get out of the dish. I then record into MFP.