I need YOUR help...

Options
Hey!! So, Im doing great with my workouts on my elliptical but I catch myself staring at the timer in agony!!!! I'm a busy Mom of two who sometimes feels like I get no time to myself { cant even tell you the last time I had the BATHROOM to myself...can you relate??!!} so I've come up with a way to take charge of both....I'm going to attempt to lose myself in a great book WHILE I exercise!!!! Heres where YOU come in. I need some help discovering a great book to get lost in. Any suggestions of an awesome summer read?? Thanks everyone!!! Have a great and healthy day!!!!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I put my towel over the timer so I can't see it.

Try the Confessions of a Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella or the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

And if you're ever looking for an alternative to a book, this site can help you find music to the tempo you want.
    http://walk.jog.fm/
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You might think that its so tiny bopper..but the Twilight saga is an awesome book series....The ultimate love story!!!!!!! Way better and more mature in the books than the movies.......I have read them over like 3 times and they are by far my fav book series ever!!!!!
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Do you have a tv or laptop anywhere near your elliptical? You can watch a show or movie
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What about working out more intensely for a shorter period of time? Or getting up early before the rest of your house does?

I am a mom of two as well, and I too am VERY busy! I take my workouts as my ME time - its become something I enjoy very much, and do not dread or agonize over it! (Maybe I'm crazy!)
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    i agree with TLCameron.. my daughters talked me into the Twilight books and they are really good!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music while you work out? I use to do that, stare at the timer but now I cover the timer with a towel and when I least notice 30 mins have passed!

What kind of literature do you enjoy?
  • josaleigh
    Options
    That depends a lot on what you like. HBO is doing a great series, Game of Thrones, based on the book series by George R. R. Martin. Its full of fantasy, drama, family squabbles, richly detailed characters...

I would recommend these books to anyone and EVERYONE!

A Song of Ice and Fire

1. A Game of Thrones August 1996
    2. A Clash of Kings November 1998
    3. A Storm of Swords August 2000
    4. A Feast for Crows October 2005
    5. A Dance with Dragons July 2011
    6. The Winds of Winter[24] (Forthcoming)
    7. A Dream of Spring[25] (Forthcoming)

Every time a new one comes out I re-read the entire series. Its so detailed you forget little elements and its like reading them new all over again!!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bossypants by Tina Fey is funny and an easy read. It is really great. :laugh:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    i like the towel over the timer idea
    also you can lose yourself in music too.
    find something at your tempo or that will get you pumped up.
    sing along and lose yourself in the music. =)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You might think that its so tiny bopper..but the Twilight saga is an awesome book series....The ultimate love story!!!!!!! Way better and more mature in the books than the movies.......I have read them over like 3 times and they are by far my fav book series ever!!!!!

I totally read the Twilight books on the elliptical! They re entertaining, they pull you in AND they don't require a lot of thinking so you can follow the story with sweat dripping into your eyes.
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you have a tv or laptop anywhere near your elliptical? You can watch a show or movie

This is what I do. I wait until a show is on that I want to watch and I easily knock out 45 minutes without realizing it.
  • Mamato3cubs
    Options
    I usually watch a tv show while i'm working out. Time goes by before you know it.
  • greeneyedellen
    greeneyedellen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My daughter loved the Twilight series. I like chick lit and loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue.

Try upbeat music. That always makes the time go faster for me!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed Twilight as well. I generally think that young adult literature is good because it is simple enough for casual reading. Why not go to a bookstore and just ask for something in a genre you like?

Sarah
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I'm currently reading "Water For Elephants" (haven't seen the movie) and I really like the book so far. I'm reading it in before bed, but if I had an elliptical, or better yet, when I purchase a treadmill later this month I'll probably read it then. When I'm done with it though, I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter books. I've found myself reading chapter after chapter for an entire day so I could probably do it easily while working out. I remember when I was younger and I tried working out, I spent an easy hour on the treadmill switching between running and walking watching "That 70's Show" because I find it so entertaining haha. I think if you really want to read a book while on the elliptical then maybe go to a bookstore (whether it's a discount one or regular one) and just look through books that you'll enjoy. I also enjoy any Harlan Coben book. he's a mystery writer. He has a series of books based off a main character named Myron Bolitar and I find those books to pull me in and there's also humor.

Hope this helps!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I also enjoyed the Twilight series, but am a big fan of the Outlander series. Other favorite books are The Shack, The Red Tent, Drowning Ruth, Crashing Down, The Left behind series. I also enjoyed Water for Elephants.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the author, but Smashed is a great book. It's about a recovering alcoholic.
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We have a mini-dvd player that we bought years ago for long car rides with our kids and when I run on the treadmill I set it up in front of me and put in a couple of FRIENDS episodes and watch with ear buds so I can't even hear what's going on around me. I actually look forward to running now because it's ME TIME and I get to watch a show *I* enjoy that I can't watch when my littles are around. :)