Mango Skin

Options
Does anyone eat a mango with the skin on? I saw someone do it on a commercial the other day and I thought, "How disgusting!" But then I thought, "Am I doing it wrong?" It seems like the skin would be tough and bitter. Just wondering if anyone eats it!

Replies

• sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it. But my family in Mexico does. They always look at me weird when I cut it up or try to peel it off.

By the way...I have tried it, it's not bitter, but a little tough. It's more of a texture thing for me.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat the skin but I would guess thats where all the fiber is.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten mango since I went scrimping in India and realised halfway through my mango that there was s maggot (hopefully just 1) in it. Bleurgh!!!

But the locals there peeled them.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it. I didn't realize you could.
  • mommachef
    Options
    I always peel it.

Have you seen the awesome Mango Wedger from Pampered Chef? Makes cutting it up WAY easier!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am from Jamaican and you can eat the skin of most mangoes there. When I came to the US and tried it on a mango here I was in for a rude awakening. I think it depends on the type of mango. I have only ever been able to do it with mangos from home. Here I find that they don't taste good.

p.s. only speaking of ripe mangos. Green or semi ripe mangos back home we do not eat the skin
  • RRT_RCP
    RRT_RCP Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I always peel it. I highly recommend you try frozen mango. Just cut it up, stick it in the freezer. OMG! Taste like candy it's so good!
  • purplesthecolor
    Options
    Most Mango is grown South of the boarder. There is a lack of controls on pesticides, such a DDT.... If you are going to eat the skin make sure it's USDA Organic. The largest amount of toxins are held in the skin of fruit and veggies. Of course there are neutrients there too. That is why there is a list of fruit and veggies that you must buy organic, like blueberries, strawberries, cherries ect.... Others that are classified as thick skinned, which is removed to consume you can save money on.
  • heather3879
    heather3879 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the awesome Mango Wedger from Pampered Chef? Makes cutting it up WAY easier!

I have a mango slicer from Crate and Barrel, which I forgot about! I will have to dig it out from the back of the drawer!