Disabled - can't exercise - desperate to lose weight

Options
I have mobility issues and auto immune conditions that mean exercise can knock me out for days. The hospital have told me I have to lose weight. I could really do with some friends to chat to who are losing weight on min or no exercise. I need to lose about 20 kilos in one year.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You simply need to eat a little less
  • smithfishe
    smithfishe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im on 1000 to 1200 calories per day
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    smithfishe wrote: »
    Im on 1000 to 1200 calories per day

Be patient and you'll lose weight
  • smithfishe
    Options
    Im an optimistic person and have been trying to lose weight for quite some time. MFP recommends finding online friends to encourage each other regularly helps you lose more weight. Hence my leap onto the community boards. I wonder if others are having successes in losing weight and keeping it off when restricted to only 1000 to 1200 calories per day?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Unless they are under 5 feet tall, pretty much anyone will lose weight on that amount of calories.
  • smithfishe
    Options
    I do for a while then it stops and sometimes the weight just goes back on again for no apparent reason. Im wondering whether medication is interfering
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you just started the 1200 cals a day, it will come with time. You MUST be accurate when logging.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Medications technically can cause increased appetite, however they do not actually cause the weight gain themselves, you still have to eat the food..

You need to put your stats into MFP. Set a realistic weight loss goal for your weight. You need to accurately count the calories, this means using a kitchen food scale and the USDA database entries from the food database. And you need to be patient.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not able to do anything other than walk a few hundred steps a day.

It really does come down to eating less.

When you lose weight you will always go up and down in weight along the way. As long as the trend is down you are fine.
    Medications can increase your appetite. They can't really make you gain weight except maybe a few lbs of water weight. You will still lose fat if you are eating less.
  • almaach
    almaach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 kg in 6 months keeping to around 1450 cals/day and not doing any more exercise than I was doing before I started limiting calories, so it is possible! Weight loss didn't happen evenly though, it was faster at first, then evened off, and I've had a few increases when it wasn't possible to stick to the calorie limit.

Keep tracking and be accurate especially about highly calorific foods like butter and cheese.
    Weigh yourself at the same time each week under same conditions (eg just after getting up and before breakfast), not at random times during the day, as your weight will fluctuate during the day eg with water levels

• smithfishe
    Options
    Thank you that is all wonderful advice :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    When you say you have limited mobility, how much does that restrict you? Can you do armchair excercises, can you walk on the spot? There are lots of ways to increase your calorie burn. Are you eating good food which is healthy. Yes friends on MFP will help but you need also to log all your food and drink honestly and share your diary with the friends that you get support from.
  • smithfishe
    Options
    Im stuck in bed a lot of the time unable to sit up for long. When I'm up I'm in my wheelchair. I suffer from M.E, fibromyalgia, Hashimotos, postural hypertension, gastric and other issues. My muscles and joints hurt a lot of the time and sometimes can't move my limbs so exercise is very difficult
  • choochabella1
    choochabella1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can do this with diet alone! 1200 calories a day!
  • dawnmacdon
    dawnmacdon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet is working for me. I started 3 weeks ago weighed in at 330, I'm down to 313. I would have more progress, but I am not able to walk as much as I want to because of the negative degree weather, so I have to resort to a stationary bike 3 to 4 times a week @ 50 minutes. I also do some basic weight training, 2x a week (squats, curls and bench). Once the weather breaks where I'm able to walk a whole lot more I will shed the pounds off even quicker.
  • BlowPopKisses
    BlowPopKisses Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You can do it darlin' with just your food intake. Make sure you're keepin' track with loggin' your food, measuring it and choosing healthy options. I had to drastically reduce my carbs. No breads, pastas, corn, tortillas,
    etc.
  • Lynze1951
    Lynze1951 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also was in a wheel chair for 7 years and gained 70 pounds. My health issues SLOWLY resolved and I am now able to walk outside . I fatigue easy but stick with it gaining a few more steps every day. Here is strong encouragement coming your way
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have multiple, painful conditions I'm dealing with so my exercise is limited. It takes awhile to put weight on so it's going to take awhile to get it off. Be faithful to your food logging and do whatever movement you can whenever you can. Every little bit of effort counts and you'll see results in the long run. Go for it!
  • ggirgis44
    ggirgis44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of your determination, smithfishe! Despite the odds, you're pushing past and seeking a brighter day. Because of this, you will find success.
    I second dawnmacdon's comment. A lower carb lifestyle works wonderfully for sedentary lifestyles. I've gone from 283 to 143 on around 1200 calories. Quality of calories is incredibly important -- you'll find a lot of MyFitnessPal users emphasizing quantity as king, but our bodies are not static machines. Calories from fresh foods and fiber will increase fat burning and increase satiety.
    My advices are to eliminate/greatly reduce all processed flour products such as breads and pastas, and stick to plentiful vegetables, meats, nuts, and eggs. One portion of fruit a day will be sufficient. Keeping calories 1000-1400, depending on your doctor's advisement, will assuredly give you a steady pound of fat loss per week. Please feel free to message me for any support, encouragement, questions, etc. God bless!