is it to much to workout 6 days a week

Options
i just wanna know if working out 6 days a week will be to much or good for me to start off i weight 255lbs 5'2. im starting up again and i will like to do 30 min treadmill and 30 min on bike & elliptical or thats to much? i was doing it for 2 weeks ago and was loosing about 2lbs or so but i ended up falling back into the bad habbits since i dont have my own place yet and staying with my sister and i stop going to the gym for a week already but i really need get back up and do this for myself.

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    not necessarily. there are some days where i only take a rest day once a week. just listen to your body. if it's telling you to rest, then rest!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't think 6 days a week is too much. I work out for 7 days in a row and then take one day off. I definately think it is completely up to your body on how much you should work out. I started out doing it here and there and then I challenged myself to do something every day on week whether is was super cardio or simple yoga. If you work so hard that you can't get up the next morning you are working out to hard but if you are a little sore but feel better about yourself then you are working out the perfect amount!

Good luck!!
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I am doing P90X 6 days per week with one day off. On that day of I do a stretch day to keep it up. For me its like birth control you know, on your week off you still take the little white sugar pills so you dont get out of the habit. :) I recommend that you do slightly more than you feel like your body will allow. Good luck!
  • jmw530
    jmw530 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would start off with 3-4 times a week and then build momentum. You need to let your body rest. Or you an do cardio every other day and then light weight lifting every other day. good luck
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Try it and find out.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    6 days a week is perfect, but I would suggest doing 3 days of weights and 3 of cardio. Weight training will help to preserve your lean muscle mass. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest. If you do nothing but cardio and calorie restriction, you will burn through muscle, and the result will be a lowered metabolism.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I worout 6 days a week and I am ok, although I sometimes wonder if its to much also! If I need an extra day, I take it! I feel great so I must be doing something right!
  • ImSoSerious1987
    ImSoSerious1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    if you have a problem getting up and working out like me i only workout twice a week for atleast 30 or 45 mins its makes it easier and i still lose 2lbs a week. I just really try to watch what i eat. Just a suggestion Especially starting out.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the treadmill for a while. It may be hard on your leg joints at your weight. You're young enough that the amount of exercise shouldn't be a problem, but taking 1 day off per week is a great idea.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I do cardio everyday (somedays are much lighter than others) but only do weights 2times a week so that my mucles can rest. My dr actualy is all for the cardio daily so long as my body isn`t giving me any signs that it needs a break :)
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nope, not too much, imo.
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire, which has 6 workouts scheduled each week, so I don't think 6 days is too much. Just decide if 6 days is a realistic goal. if you haven't been working out regularly, start with 3 and work your way up to 6. That way you won't feel let down if you don't reach the 6 days. Definitely listen to your body.
  • jennlabori27
    Options
    i like the treadmill because 6 months when i move back to ny i had a bad pain on my leg and the doc didnt know wat it was and told me i should lose weight it was around my calf muscle all the way up my hips and since i started using the treadmill my leg and hip pain has gone away and whenever i don't go to the gym i have a little pain again.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    6 days isn't too much; i'd be happy to be that consistent! but change things up. keep your body guessing and having to adapt to what you tell it to do. circuit training one day, cardio with light weights another day, intense weights another day, light walking, etc. i like to alternate run days with other things so that by the time i hit the trails i'm pulling at the reins. just keep your body guessing. might help prevent boredom as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, an hour a day 6 days a week is good.