4lb

Options
I want to lose 4lbs a week or maybe even just three. Im suppose to eat 1960 calories a day and i want to bring in some exercise. How many calories do i need to burn to meet that goal of 4 lbs down a week?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    How much do you weight and what’s your goal weight?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's no "just" about 3lbs a week unless you're morbidly obese.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    More info needed for informed answer. Height, weight, age, current weight, ultimate goal weight, current activity level, i.e. Desk job, walk a lot in your job, physical job like construction,lawn work.
  • samheun
    samheun Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @corinasue1143 i am 5'6 1/2 i weight 294lbs my goal weight is 140 im 21 and im a stay at home mom until i graduate.
  • samheun
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    How much do you weight and what’s your goal weight?

I weigh 294lbs in 5'6 1/2 and im 21 im also a stay at home mom
  • samheun
    Options
    More info needed for informed answer. Height, weight, age, current weight, ultimate goal weight, current activity level, i.e. Desk job, walk a lot in your job, physical job like construction,lawn work.

i am 5'6 1/2 i weight 294lbs my goal weight is 140 im 21 and im a stay at home mom until i graduate
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Like other have said I would start with a goal of 2lb per week on MFP and follow that calorie guide. Use a good scale to ensure accurate tracking. If you can set an appointment with your doctor to lose more quickly it is worth exploring.

You said you’re a stay at home mom. I know this can make workouts hard. There is a free app called SWORKIT that you can download for free at home workouts. You can customize them too. It’s a great way to get started moving more. And since you can set the workouts to 5-30min it’s pretty easy to fit in
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The concrete answer by the numbers is:
    Looks like you have figured your calories for a 2 lb a week loss. If you exercise 500 calories worth a day, you should lose about 3 pounds a week. If you exercise 1000 calories a day, you should lose 4 pounds a week. But the numbers are average, and may not work exactly like that for you.
    Remember your first few weeks weight loss will be crazy. For example, Maybe lose 10 or 15 pounds the first week (water), then gain 5 pounds week 2 & 3 for a total loss of 5 pounds in 3 weeks would not be unusual. It's just your body adjusting.

My advice is:

Even if you could lose 3 pounds a week the entire time, which probably won't happen, it would take you about a year to lose the weight.

If you demand of yourself that you lose quickly, you can expect to be disappointed. You are human. You will have good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks. That's just life. Be gentle with yourself.

If you lose too quickly, you will be weak, may have headaches, depression, brain fog, etc. it can really make your life miserable. Your life is too full to deal with those things. Don't quit. Just back off a little. Make things easier for yourself.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, your school, your family, and a happy life!
  • samheun
    Options
    Thanks for your help you guys! I appreciate it!