How to handle breweries?

Options
I am pretty sure a decent portion of my weight-gain relapse has been from brewery hopping. How do you all handle social drinking? I live in a town that is flooded with great breweries, my boyfriend and friends, as well as our families, love to go and get at least 2 drinks over a couple hours, sometimes more. Recently I have started only ordering half pints, but I still feel the social pressure.

Do you all have any tips for this?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking years ago. I know you're young and that's not your question.

Just log all the drinks and the food. You'll either learn it's not worth it, or find a way to save up some calories during the week so you can have a (400 calorie/pint IPA) beer. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Calorie bank.

Save the calories on the few days running up to your night out.
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ugh, 400 calories... I'd so rather not.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I’d get in the habit of asking about each brewery’s lowest calorie option. Good info to have in your back pocket, even if you choose something else. For each drink I always have a water in between because someone once told me to do that to prevent hangovers and it helps to cut down on overall drinks consumed when you’re running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Plus extra steps
  • zwaag16
    zwaag16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get it, girl. This is so hard for me too where I'm at. A lot of breweries have various sizes you can order. You could try asking for a 10 oz instead of a pint. Or maybe try for a flight, which usually takes longer to finish and you can share with other people. Two 10 oz or a flight of four 6 oz beers is still better than 2 pints!
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    zwaag16 wrote: »
    ...Or maybe try for a flight, which usually takes longer to finish and you can share with other people. Two 10 oz or a flight of four 6 oz beers is still better than 2 pints!
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Most really good breweries, brew-pubs, microbreweries and the like have samplers that allow you to taste many different kinds in small amounts rather than a pint. They're a great option to drink a little, enjoy yourself, and not end up a slobbering drunk (fat) fool.

I agree on the option of getting a flight. Like most have said, drink if you want to, but you have to count it. A flight lets you try a variety, while keeping the total to 30 oz or less usually.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ugh, 400 calories... I'd so rather not.

Then just don't...
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Volunteer to be the driver so you don't drink, plus everyone else appreciates your 'sacrifice' :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a water alongside, IMO - a pint glass at least (ask for it that way so they don't give you a mini glass). It's pretty easy to quaff that first tasty craft brew really fast, then you have an empty glass while you sit & talk a long time, and people are more likely to "encourage" you to have another if your glass is empty.

Try to time your water/beer drinking so you have at least 1/4 glass or so left when others reorder, enough so you can legit say "not quite ready yet". Others are more likely to ignore your empty(ing) glass at times when they're not looking for an excuse to reorder. Get more water if you need to..

If they ask about the water up front, if you must, just say something like "too dehydrated - no water earlier". Don't make a bigger issue of any of that than you absolutely have to.

And enjoy the heck out of that delicious beer. Get your favorite, not the low cal option unless you really enjoy that one. ;)
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just log it and move on. I love beer too much to give it up personally so I deal with the 'consequences'.

If it's become a health issue for you then hopefully you know to cut back or just stop altogether.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot. In fact, the past two months my drinking has more than quadrupled and I've still lost weight. Learn to make choices - do you want a big meal, or do you want a few drinks?

Also, know which beers are likely to be higher in calories. Luckily, I dislike stouts and porters or any darker brews. These tend to have higher calories anyways. I drink mostly IPAs which can be a little lower on calories.

If you are going to a brewery, do some research before and see if you can find some calorie counts online. Then you'll have an idea of how many calories to allot. If you really can't find anything, then put aside 500 cals and enjoy 2 or 3 beers (depending on the size).

Also, skip the snacks. You're going drinking to be social and enjoy a good beer, not to eat crummy crackers and bar snacks.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I limit my outings to one per week with a two drink max. For me, that means 2 glasses of wine per week or 240 cals that I have pre-logged. If there are other spontaneous outings in the same week (like right now) I stick to club soda with lime.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    How to handle breweries?

There's one about 1/3 of the way up the local mountain. I cycle from sea level to it, and back down again sometimes. There's a bit of a park around it so I might stop for a moment to watch the ducks. :)

But I've never been inside.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How do you all handle social drinking?

By placing my hand on the neck of the Don Julio bottle, and not letting go. The Don Draper diet is surprisingly effective....