What can I make with all these tomatoes!!!!

Options
My neighbor grows tomatoes. So i am always well stocked. I have about 20 right now sitting on my counter about to go bad. What can I make with them? How do you make tomatoe paste? Maybe i can just freeze it that way. i hate to waste them

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Bruschetta.
  • change_happens
    Options
    tomato salsa, stewed tomato soup, tomato puree and basil soup .... http://goodcheapeats.com/2010/05/what-can-you-make-with-tomatoes/
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We make Tomato Jelly, really good.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/1247/
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    You could make Gazpacho (a cold tomato soup) or some Salsa !
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Tomatoe bisque? Im addicted:) Its so good and I may make some as soon as I find a good recipe.
    You can make tomato and vidalia onion sandwich tomato and grilled cheese.Veggie soup.Brunswick stew
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thats what I was trying to think of lol
  • mommymeyersto2
    mommymeyersto2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I grow Romas and grape tomatoes. You can add bell pepper, onion and cilantro to make. Pico de galo (sp?) or I cut my Romas up rinse away seeds, chop them up and let them simmer on the stove. When they soften up I just purée in my magic bullet and season to taste. The homemade salsa (pico) is a great condiment!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Google canning and preserving.

Also, this pasta sauce recipe is easy and to die for. My hubby made it last week for a dish, and I just used up the leftovers last night to make a delicious pasta dish last with eggplant and zucchini thrown in.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/basic-tomato-sauce-recipe12/index.html

Mario Batali rocks.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When my tomatoes get ripe beyond my liking I slow roast them with olive oil, garlic and basil. They keep for a long time like that in the fridge.
  • burnettpat
    Options
    fresh salsa
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I eat them raw lol. you can also add onions and sour cream
  • trac30
    trac30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Salsa or pico de gallo
    Or Make a batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it for later.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wash, Slice, Put in freezer bags and use them this fall in stews!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Once I've had my fill of raw tomatoes (plain, in salads, caprese, bruschetta, salsa, etc), I blanche, peel, and freeze. They're fantastic for tomato sauces later in the year, when fresh aren't around anymore.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    When my tomatoes get ripe beyond my liking I slow roast them with olive oil, garlic and basil. They keep for a long time like that in the fridge.

I love tomato season. I slow roast mine with a little olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and some dried italian herbs. Roast ~ 2 hours at 275 degrees F. I stir about 1/2 way through. Then I put in freezer bags along with the scrapings of the baking sheet (I use a bit of water and liquify the carmelized bits and juice). They stack great in quart size freezer bags and the tomatoes are awesome in sauce, mixed with pasta or even added to a selection of roast veggies. Enjoy!
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I grow tomatoes in my backyard. I cut them up in 4 or 6, spread them on a cookie tray and freeze them. Once frozen, I scope it into a freezer bag. That way, whenever I want to use them, it is easier to use the quartered frozen tomatoes versus the whole ones.
    cheers!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Oh man, all these ideas are making me hungry, LOL I am a tomato addict.

One of my summer fav's for fresh homegrown tomatos is a raw sauce on hot pasta.

Skin the tomatos (cut an X on the top put in boiling water for a minute or so to get skin loose)
    cut tomatos up in bowl, add some fresh garlic to taste, fresh basil to taste, toss. Make pasta, toss in tomatos. Sorry i don't have any measurements, I always go by site.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Tomato Pie

1 Pillsbury pie shell (non-frozen best)
    3 Large tomato's
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
    2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese
    1 TBS Fresh Chives
    1TBS Fresh Basil
    Salt & Pepper to taste.

Bake pie shell according to the directions. Cool. Place sliced tomatoes between paper towels to absorb some of the moisture. Cover bottom of pie crust with tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine sour cream, cheese, basil and chives. Carefully dot this mixture over tomatoes. Bake at 400 in oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

*Serves 6
    Calories 265
    Fat 16
    Carbs 37
    Protein 12
    Fiber 8
  • cjcarson87
    Options
    omg that tomatoe pie sounds awesome