Exercise disaster!

Options
Today I tried (and don’t laugh) a 7 min workout and couldn’t finish it.... anyone any advise on whats the best way to go???

I knew I was unfit but I didn’t think I was that unfit!!!

Replies

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I started out I used to remind myself that 0 multiplied by anything was still 0, so as long as you do something (however little) you are doing infinitely more than nothing!

I second the idea to do more walking - you'd be surprised how good a burn you can get, as well as getting to take in some scenery (depending on where you live) and have some time to think and destress. Maybe you can build up to include some jogging along with the walking or try a program like couch to 5k eventually. But don't feel the need to rush - take things at your own pace and listen to your body for how much you can handle. Don't be afraid to take time to rest and recover - these things are important for building muscle and fitness.

Keep trying, and keep doing a little more each time. It doesn't matter how long it takes - so long as you keep going, you will reach your goals eventually :)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So you did 3 minutes of it, or 5 minutes... at least you did it.

Next time try to do 30 seconds longer.

Also, walking is really good low impact exercise to get you moving.

This! Don't be discouraged, but try and go a bit longer each time.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Start and keep trying is the est way to go. Last year I started running. 1,1 km and I had to stop 3 times being out fo breath and I was totally sore - Now it is a year later and I can run 10km Just by keeping it up, not finding excuses not to and listening to what my body could do. That balance is critical important to avoid injuries.
    If a workout does not work due to sore muscles or something Most of the time a walk will take care of the muscle aches and still gets some level of workout done.

Always remember something is better than nothing.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Linzo, 7 minutes is 7 minutes longer than the people on the couch did!! Good job for taking that step. Keep it up and best of luck!
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great job. So this marks your starting point. Write that down and look back on it each month as you progress. That will give you a fantastic reference point to keep you motivated.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    linzo13 wrote: »
    Today I tried (and don’t laugh) a 7 min workout and couldn’t finish it.... anyone any advise on whats the best way to go???

Well what sort of workout was it?

Not all videos or programs are right for everyone. And "10 minute workouts" tend to be condensed workouts, not so good for people who need a more gentle, gradual approach.

Don't be discouraged. You have choices here:

* Get a different workout. There is NO such thing as one-size-fits all when it comes to fitness.
    * Use the same workout. See it as a challenge, to get through 30 more seconds each time until you get to 7 minutes. Or take breaks in-between and work towards finishing all 7 minutes.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Miranda Esmonde-White's Essentrics, who also does a great PBS program of Classical Stretch.

She has developed a series of 22-minute program that focuses on no impact strength, stretch and gentle cardio that is appropriate for all exercise levels. And seriously, she works with little old ladies and Olympic athletes. Great stuff. She may be on your local PBS station (in the US) which you can DVR for free.

http://www.essentrics.com/classicalstretch.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The glory of fitness goals is that they are much more consistent than weight (which fluctuates). You now have a baseline. Try the same routine after a day of rest and see if you get farther.

I’d also do ten minutes of stretching afterwards to work out the kinks.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this 7 min workout was quite high intensity? Try something easier to begin, like walking or Zumba, something you find enjoyable. Ease back into the higher instesity stuff when you have some cardio base built up. Modify as needed. Be happy with any progress you make, and just keep going.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    linzo13 wrote: »

Make this your first goal, and keep doing it until it is easy. This will turn discouragement into accomplishment.

Keep setting new goals, and taking the same approach.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm super unfit in the cardio vascular department and I usually throw in the towel because too high intensity gives me migraines....I've had to accept that a lower intensity was better than nothing. I'll do cardio for a few mins until I feel run down, switch/modify the intensity (walking March versus jog in place, walk instead of run, etc) until I catch my breath and feel more rested than go back up for a few mins again. After you get used to that and get in the swing you'll surprise yourself one day with how much of your workout was higher intensity versus the beginning!
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their starting point, it's okay. I say go low and slow and you will gradually build your stamina up.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It was probably a pretty intense workout. As other posters have mentioned, good to start slow. Just a few minutes at a time and add from there as you go. Your stamina will increase in no time!
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Great start, keep on going next time do it a little longer and so on. The body will adapt and get stronger and you will be able to go longer each time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Don't worry keep at it and you will be surprised as you get fitter

Good luck
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Write down the name of the workout, time spent, and date. Do this every day so you can track your progress.
    "What seems impossible today will one day be your warm up."