Really confused need help

Options
I just don't understand what the hell I'm supposed to do I'm so aggravated! I'm 315lb want to get down to 200ish..I think I'm doing good I make a bowl of steel cut oats (2 servings) with a tablespoon of peanut butter, input the information into mfp and it says I have already gone over my carbs for the day.. WTH am I supposed to do?? Is anyone willing to stear me in what do I follow ie my calories or my macros

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When you're starting out, macros really don't make a lot of difference, unless you have some medical reason to restrict one or another of them. Stick to your calorie recommendation to start with.

Having said that, after a few weeks of logging you might find that you are more comfortable with more protein, or maybe more carbs. Only personal experience will help you find that out. The MFP default for macros is 50% carbs/30% fat/20% protein. It's not perfect for everyone; you can change it by grams or by percentage.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calories are made up of the macronutroents fat, protein and carbs. You can set macros as you wish, or ignore them. But if you track macros, keep the difference between percentage and amount in mind.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calories dictate weight loss.
    Macros may help in a very personal way with adherence to your calorie goal.

But trying to stick to strict macro percentages or restrictions may well have a negative effect on adherence and stress levels.

Personally I just tried to ensure I hit my protein goal as a minimum, fat really took care of itself but also regarded that as a minimum. Carbs fell wherever they fell within my overall calorie goal.

Agreed.

OP, start simple. Focus on hitting your calorie goals, and possible aiming for mostly whole foods; while you do this focus on foods that fill you up which will make it easier for you. As you get a hang of things, than add a bit more focus on proteins and fiber. And while you are it, slowly incorporate exercise.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont worry about the macros. worry about the calories. later, you can fine tune it.

also, use a food scale.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Your percentages are based on the food in your diary - if you've only entered one meal, which is predominantly carbs, of course you will have eaten a high percentage of carbs. This will adjust as you eat different foods made up of different macros. Try pre planning a whole day of food - focus on getting sufficient protein and fat, but focus more on your total calorie intake.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I want to reinforce the notion of just staying within your allotted calories as you get started. Keep it simple. Macros can confusing for someone who is starting. Again, keep it simple for now.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1. Calories dictate weight loss, focus on them first.
    2. I think you are misunderstanding percentages. Your macro % will fluctuate up and down throughout the day as you log food. You can eat a breakfast that is 60% carbs and a lunch that is 30% carbs and that could make your carb % for the day 45% (I'm just spit balling numbers here). I think most people find it easier to look at their macro goals in grams, if they pay attention to them at all.

Personally I just try to hit my protein and fiber goals and let the rest fall where they may. :drinker: