Breastfeeding and trying to lose baby weight?

Options
I'm 4 weeks post partum and am looking forward to getting back to exercise to start getting my body back, just curious about if anyone has experience in cutting calories but not effecting milk supply? Any tips? TIA!

Replies

• InspiredBrunette
    InspiredBrunette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a breastfeeding mom also
    Go to freedieting.com there's a breastfeeding calculator and it will tell you how many daily calories to eat to lose weight it worked well for me.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a breastfeeding mom also
    Go to freedieting.com there's a breastfeeding calculator and it will tell you how many daily calories to eat to lose weight it worked well for me.

Hey, thanks! It's coming back at 1855 which was my maintenance range pre pregnancy so that's nice and easy, have you noticed a change in milk production since watching your intake? Xx
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I had to eat 2200-2400 calories a day to not lose milk supply while nursing exclusively. But that was me. I still lost because I was obese (still am, but much less so although it's been almost 3 years since my kid was born). I suggest starting at maintenance and then either adding or decreasing calories 100 cal at a time depending on baby's diaper outputs and nursing behaviour. If it seems like supply is dropping, increase. If okay, safe to decrease if you choose.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor about exercise post partum and a timeframe for that? My doctor recommended no vigorous exercise for the first 6 weeks. I started walking at 6 weeks.

I also ate an extra 500 calories (500+ maintenance) while my kids were exclusively breastfed, reduced to 300 when they started solids, and 100 during weaning. I lost the baby weight in 8-9 months. It took 9 months to put the weight on, it won't and probably shouldn't come off overnight (if you are healing and breastfeeding).

I would talk to a lactation consultant if there is one available through your doctor/hospital or Le Leche League.
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    I was emergency c section so I may have to wait longer but at 4 weeks in I feel totally healed and have no pain left at all so I'm hoping to be signed off to starting to exercise and to drive again at my gp appointment soon! I know I won't be able to go back to my old workouts but just a little would be great!

Thanks so much for your help ladies x
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait until you are cleared by your doctor to start any exercise. Especially since you had a C-section you can cause serious damage if you start too soon.

Since you are nursing definitely don't want to start cutting cals before your supply is established (so typically around 6 weeks or so) even then I wouldn't go too low. I ate at maintenance (so for me that was about 2700-2900 cals) and I lost pretty reasonably
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    My flow is still pretty confused, I'm over producing for sure at the moment! Hoping to have it settle soon, the leaking is too annoying!!