Weight as you age

Options
I've been curious about this for a little while and I wonder what others might say to it.

When choosing my goal, I picked the weight I was most comfortable at (10 years ago) and then added 5- 10 lbs because I figured that was more realistic "at my current age". Obviously our bodies do change over time and as we age, plus we require less calories as we age which makes maintaining weight challenging (unless you change your intake accordingly I mean and most people don't) but technically there shouldn't be a reason why I can't be the same weight I was at 27 just because I'm 37 right? Does anyone else catch themselves in this mindset? Is it more practical to add a few pounds to goal weight as we age or is that just me being influenced by woo?

Replies

• shayanmowjee
    shayanmowjee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to increase your goal weight just because you're older now. It will be a tad more difficult to get down in weight as you age, but that's just how it all works. However, goal setting does become more manageable when you set smaller goals for yourself along the way. Set the long term end goal as your weight at 27 y/o! Set your short term goal weight at the +5-10 lb mark, that way you remain dedicated to reaching the long term!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for each individual. At 37 you will likely be able to reach and maintain the same weight you were at 27. Women's bodies do change during and after menopause and (for some) it is more difficult to reach that weight you thought was ideal in your 20's and 30's. I've known very thin women at my age, but many more who've become overweight or obese as they got older.

Personally, I've found a comfortable weight for me at 57 is about 10 pounds higher than when I was younger. It's a weight I can maintain through good diet and regular exercise. Caloric intake requirements did change for me, so I have to be much more thoughtful about food choices or else I start to gain. I cannot just eat the same things in the same quantities as before. I'm actually doing more intentional exercise in my 50's than I did in my younger years, so that balances things out somewhat. However, when younger I was also chasing kids around and working full-time so that likely bumped up the calorie burn.

You can always set your goal at the 5-10 pounds higher and see how you feel when you get there. I did that and once I reached it I realized I was still not where I wanted to be, so set a NEW goal for a lower weight. Nothing says you have to set a final weight goal and there's no changing it. Do what feels right for you!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I’m smaller and far more fit at 53 than I was in my 20s and MANY people on this site would say the same sort of thing, including postmenopausal women. Our metabolisms slow with ageing, largely due to slower muscle synthesis, but very small amounts and certainly not enough to justify 10 lbs between 27 and 37yrs old.

So, you’re smart in questioning your mindset.

That said, if your goal of 5-10lbs more than you weighed at 27 feels more attainable and less intimidating than your actual weight was at 27, then keep the heavier weight as your goal. You can always surpass it! Good luck!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think you are being realistic. I am 60yo and if I think back to what I was at 30yo and wanting to achieve that weight....I could...maybe....probably get there but would it be maintainable? No...I am NOT 30! Also my skin tells me I am not 30. Do what is comfortable and "maintainable" or you will be chasing that unattainable goal!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 this year and I weigh less than I did in my 20's/30's and I am definitely more fit, stronger and adjusting to middle age quite well, although approaching menopause does bring its own set of challenges. I attribute everything to diet and exercise and the ability to change my body composition.

However you feel is the best weight for you and if you can sustain that weight is the right weight for you. Age is not really a factor, how you handle staying healthy through diet, activity and exercise does.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I checked out the Smart BMI Calculator. It gives a healthy BMI range for various age, gender and ethnicity people. Supposedly they base their ranges on the health risks associated with under or over weight. I'm not vouching for their methods necessarily, but it did give me a more forgiving and maintainable range. Also, in my 60's, I look better with a little fat on me.

Anyway, why compare yourself to what you weighed in your 20's? Maybe you were under weight back then. I definitely was.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Isn't 135 very close to BMI 20? And you're taller than average. Would not deliberately aim for below 20 as a tall non Oriental person.

Plus what is healthier: a skinny BMI 20, or a strong and well trained BMI 21?

At some point within the normal weight range things other than weight (such as actual body composition) may have more of an effect on how you feel and look.