No Fast Food in 2018

Options
I have been overweight and on a roller-coaster ride all my life. I have been a yo-yo dieter since the age of 9. I have lost several hundred pounds during my life, but sadly it is the same 20-30 pounds over and over again. I was raised mostly on fast food and as an adult I have been addicted to it. 6 years ago I lost 65 pounds using MFP, only to gain it back after having my son. He is almost 5 and here I am still not where I want to be weight wise or health wise. My goal for 2017 was to lose 60 pounds. I lost 20 and have been maintaining my weight for the last 4 months (not gaining it back during the holidays was HUGE for me!). I've given up soda, chips, white bread, white rice, white pasta and energy drinks as my first steps to getting healthy. This alone has made me feel a whole lot better (and I sleep way better too). Now with the New Year at hand I am setting some new goals. My main goal is to eat healthy. I am determined 2018 is the year of change and that, for me, means NO FAST FOOD (along with other food changes, but this is my BIGGEST challenge right now).

Replies

• sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think at the end of the day the issue with fast food --for me---is that it is just not that satisfying in a lasting way. whereas I can make delicious meals from scratch with high satisfaction.... But it does take more time and planning and figuring out new things to eat.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    @Tami_in_Idaho - good luck, that's an impressive aim and you've got your history on your side which leads me to believe you might actually be able to do it! I, on the otherhand, have just ordered a takeaway to be delivered tonight for our NYE dinner :smiley: I've found a more powerful way of thinking for me has been to concentrate on what I CAN eat rather than what I can't! Often that's fruits, veggies, dark chocolate, nuts etc or in the instance of today for example, I will eat my takeaway and really enjoy it and not feel guilty about eating it. I prefer to use the method of crowding out the bad stuff by concentrating on the tasty tasty good stuff I can eat instead.

I wish you a happy and healthy 2018!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am going fast food free for 2018!! I don’t eat a lot of fast food usually, but I find myself stopping for donuts and coffee, or a bacon-egg-cheese biscuit more often and I need to lose weight, so I’m going to give it up all together. I’m planning to eat at home for the most part, and I’m keeping a bag of almonds and a bottle of water in my car so I won’t be tempted when I’m on the go. Cheers!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't like fast food (depending on what you mean, I do go to Pret sometimes, get a turkey sandwich from Potbelly's or salad from Protein Bar on occasion), so didn't give it up.

I think one helpful thing (for any New Year's resolution) is not to focus on "I won't" but on how you will bring that about.

One related question is understanding what will make it hard.

Do you get fast food because it's convenient and you are tired and don't feel like cooking? Then giving it up is probably a great idea. Figure out what to do in such situations instead -- can you make leftovers and have them ready to be reheated? Have some ideas of fast things to cook at home? Other "pick up a fast dinner" options that fit your new goals?

Or is it because you really, really like fast food (certain dishes, I mean)? If so, finding other things you like as well might be an important thing to do, but in this case 100% giving them up may be less of a good idea. Instead, you could fit them in occasionally but make sure it's not too often.

I find it helps me more to focus on positive things -- I will make sure all my meals include a good amount of vegetables, for example, or I will learn to construct a healthful and calorie-appropriate diet so that it feels easy and is tasty.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight and on a roller-coaster ride all my life. I have been a yo-yo dieter since the age of 9. I have lost several hundred pounds during my life, but sadly it is the same 20-30 pounds over and over again. I was raised mostly on fast food and as an adult I have been addicted to it. 6 years ago I lost 65 pounds using MFP, only to gain it back after having my son. He is almost 5 and here I am still not where I want to be weight wise or health wise. My goal for 2017 was to lose 60 pounds. I lost 20 and have been maintaining my weight for the last 4 months (not gaining it back during the holidays was HUGE for me!). I've given up soda, chips, white bread, white rice, white pasta and energy drinks as my first steps to getting healthy. This alone has made me feel a whole lot better (and I sleep way better too). Now with the New Year at hand I am setting some new goals. My main goal is to eat healthy. I am determined 2018 is the year of change and that, for me, means NO FAST FOOD (along with other food changes, but this is my BIGGEST challenge right now).

call me crazy, but why not just eat foods you enjoy within your calorie limits??

I guess because you have to change something and just eating less in quantity doesnt work for everyone - and cutting high calorie low nutrition foods like chips, sugary drinks, bread, rice is good way to cut calories as well as improving nutritional content of dietary intake
    (i agree colour of bread and rice doesn't make much difference except the wholemeal bread, IME, is more filling presumably due to fibre)

Its not as if OP is planning to cut whole food groups or foods of nutritious value or something with no apparent logic (no eggs or fruit or something)

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I mean, I am giving up fast food and eating out for the most part but it's mostly due to money.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do you get fast food because it's convenient and you are tired and don't feel like cooking? Then giving it up is probably a great idea.

Disagree. I think fast food is a great idea if you're tired and don't feel like cooking.

If OP is consuming it for reasons other than she really likes it, and chooses higher cal items than she otherwise would, then yes it's a good idea to find other options.

If she really enjoys it, it would make more sense to me to fit it in occasionally, but lots of times people eat high cal foods for other reasons.

Sure, there are some vegetables (not many appealing choices, IMO), and some lower cal choices available, and if that's what you tend to want from a fast food place, great, but OP may find that what she wants when she goes to fast food is something else, and a healthier alternative she would enjoy is more available elsewhere.

• Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think I like that challenge. I'm trying to cook all meals at home and not eat out at all. I don't know what they put in that food.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good luck! There are lots of health and financial benefits to reducing or eliminating fast food.
    I DO still eat fast food, not as often as I used to.
    But I knew that it wasn't realistic that I would NEVER eat fast food again (I'm on the road alot)
    So, my go-tos:
    Taco Bell:
    bean burrito fresco style
    2 chicken soft taco fresco style
    black beans and guac
    steak cantina bowl no rice

Wendy's:
    Jr. double no cheese (the one from the value menu, not the big one
    grilled chicken, no sauce
    chili
    jr. frosty

All of these are 300-400ish calories for a meal, and have high protein and/or fiber, except for the frosty, which I just really like and a junior frosty is 200 kcal

In other words, I knew I couldn't NEVER eat fast food, but I knew I could make better choices when I did.

Good luck to you!!