Slimming pills

Options
I am starting again on my weight loss programme and for the first time ever using a slimming pill to give me a kick start. Has any one used them before, have any advice I may find useful. The side effects which was explained with the pills have not started yet and I was wondering if this was the calm before the storm or is it because I am keeping to the low fat diet as suggested?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Useful advice: Stop taking the pills.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you're going to have explosive Diarrhea...I mean like crap your pants poops
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    oh, plese don't use them, they will backfire on you in the end! Work hard and develop great clean eating habits. You will feel so much better about yourself..

:smile:
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If skinny came in a pill, no one would be fat.
  • reneepeg
    reneepeg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are about four women in my office that went to a "fat dr" and got some slimming pills. They lost 30-40 pounds each fairly quick. Fast foward 6-8 mths after they have stopped taking the pills.....they ALL have gained the weight back plus more. Every single one of them!!! Losing weight isn't a quick fix, it's a life style change. Pills are not healthy. Have pride in yourself, not a pill!
  • catsalive65
    Options
    If you're talking about Alli, it's not worth it. It basically is just a $60 way of getting you to eeat healthy... the whole gimiick is that if you eat over 15 grams of fat per serving, you **** your pants. So to not do that, you eat less than 15g fat per serving.

Which you can do on your own.

Without spending unnecessary money.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    If skinny came in a pill, no one would be fat.

LIKE!!!!

Seriously, between all us us here on MFP, we probably have about 10,000,000,000 + years of dieting experience. If there was a quick easy fix that worked, I'm pretty confident we would all know about it.
  • serhart
    serhart Posts: 27
    Options
    i take a diet pill, prescribed and controlled by my doctor. NOT ALL pills are bad, or worthless or will cause you to poop yourself. Over the counter ones, i have no experience with. However i have been on the one I am on for a while and it has helped alot. Please don;t clump them all together under one catergory.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Alli and Xenial (the double dose) take about 7 days to start taking effect.

Have used them before and while the effects ain't plesant if your careful and stay close to a toilet you'll do good lol!

I admit though I messed it about and didn't bother to eat healthy hoping for a miracle but still lost nearly a stone just over a year ago, I image the effects would be quite good with MFP to help.

People may slate you but if it's just for a kickstart and you ween off them you should be good and won't put it all back on! But I wouldn't recommed long term use.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Here's what you can do with the pills... and this is solid great advice:

Give me your money before you buy them next time. I'll do the same for you that the pills do.... nothing.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pills are not a lifestyle change they are a quick fix and even if you do lose the weight once you stop taking them you will gain it back.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Useful advice: Stop taking the pills.

This.

Most "slimming pills" are nothing more than caffine, green tea extract, and any host of poisons they use to fill up the rest of the space in that little cancer capsule.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Using Alli is basically about forcing you to eat low fat or you'll have explosive diarrhea. You can eat low fat without the pills, if you really want to, simply by exercising some willpower. And if you have a bad day and slip up you won't be forced to take a shower and change your clothes.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was also prescribed diet pills. There are really good ones out there and they just supress your appetite. Though I don't take them lol I have had a few friends take them and have had success in using them and have kept off the weight. The downside is they are habit forming. You still need to eat a balanced diet and exercise but you don't get the urges to eat. I agree though the best way to be healthy is to do it without pills.
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    Hi, what pill are you taking? Orlistat (Alli)? If you are, the side effects such as explosive diarrhea as one user put it, will only happen if you stray from your low fat diet. Orlistat is designed to limit your fat absorption, any excess fat is poo'd out, resulting in oily or lose poo. If you can manage a healthy whilst taking Orlistat then you can probably manage one without it unless need the poo scare tactics. I'm not against Orlistat but I know fat doesn't cause you to be fat, sugar does. So if you take Orlistat/diet pills and eat low fat but high sugar then you won't have any success. Feel free to message me for more info!

Knowledge/experince: Biology graduate, pharmacy assistant, nutritional adviser.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    What pills are you taking??

To all the people slating these pills...I've been on Xenical, as prescribed by my Doctor after many appointments with him and having tried various diet/exercise routines with NO results. They do NOT always (yes there will be some exceptions out there - after all everyone is different) give you the bad side effects if you stick to the rules of taking them...they've helped me so much with getting my eating healthy and I'm a much happier and healthy (both mentally and physically) person because of them. Yes they're not for everyone but sometimes there are some people that need a little helping hand at points in their lives.

I think some of you need to operate a little tact before you post you don't know the people asking for advice and you don't know the ins and outs of their situations...offer advice yes but try to do it in a nice way!!
  • serhart
    serhart Posts: 27
    Options
    I take Phentermine. I am not attacking anyone or telling anyone they are wrong, I am only wishing to point out that NOT all diet pills are horrible evil capsules of crap. Phentermine seems to help in lowering my appetite, and it is closely monitored by my family doctor.

I have no opinions or advice of over the counter medications, as I have never taken them.
  • tiggernic
    tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thank for the advice either for or against. I asked for it so I can't complaine for the comments left.

I do understand that there is no quick fix to losing weight. I have been trying for years so I am more than aware of this.

The tablets I am taking are Alli and the main thing they are giving me is the nudge in the right direction for healthy eating.

It is a tool that I am using until the habit of eating healthy is second nature. I am looking at using them for no more than a month or two.

They are also showing me which meals are working for me. I have had no bad side effects which would mean the food I am eating are the food to take forward for the rest of my life. I know that too much information sometimes is to much, but as you have all pointed out to me the main issue with the tablets is pooh!! Me personnally, have not had a problem (at the moment) first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

If they are changing the way I think about food and helping me to control what I eat (if I had self control I would not be the size I am in the first place) they can not be all bad as long as I take the lessons I learn forward once I stop taking the tablets.

I do thank you for your comments, the support is wonderful and like the tablets a tool to help me reach my goal. :smile: