Easy lunch

Options
wazbamhat3
wazbamhat3 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all!
I work 10 to 12 hour shifts starting at 5am. It is mainly manual lifting and carrying. During that time I have 2x 15 minute breaks. Any suggestions on what to eat? I've gained a lot of weight through work mainly grabbing sandwiches/pasties/pies/cake because it's quick plus alcohol after work to recover from the day!
I need quick, healthy, diet food that's keeping my energy up while not taking long to prep or eat...TIA x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches
  • elcollins2809
    elcollins2809 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fruits, maybe some already made dinner, buy them before your work day. Thou don’t alway have frozen food because it can become unhealthy but it’s better than cakes or all that. I normally have them on my 15 minute breaks, you will be pushing a bit to finish but at least it’s quite healthy and filling.
    Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lose the idea of diet food and that certain, elusive foods are healthy (and everything else unhealthy). Eat what you like, you just have to eat less (fewer calories), but you have to do it consistently, and forever, so you have to eat food you like. Sandwiches are fine. Cake etc, on the other hand, is not the best fuel for work, low nutrent but calorie dense, and alcohol because you didn't fuel right, adds additional calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i typically eat leftovers from dinner the night before or a salad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food or drink.
    For health and stisfaction it is a pretty good idea to eat enough protein, fats and fiber. Including more fruits and vegetables in your diet is a great way to bulk out meals with lower calorie foods.
    You can eat a sandwich. Watch high calorie additions like cheese, butter, mayo, peanut butter.
    It is easy to go over calories with drinks. Watch what you are taking in.

Some other low prep foods besides sandwiches could be yogurt, cottage cheese, chese sticks, sausage, raw/canned/frozen fruits or vegetables, canned tuna or chicken, canned beans, hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeal, cereal, canned/prepared soup, frozen meals, granola bars, shakes or smoothies, salads.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've done the best making some sort of shake/smoothie to drink on my way to work...and I pack a ready to go soup and salad (I make a big pot of soup every 7-10 days and portion it out). I'll pack some things like fruits, cheese stick, etc and I'll pack an amount of food that leaves me enough calories for dinner/drink when I get out. If I don't get to it all (busy day), then I just eat more after
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I typically cook enough dinner to have leftovers to heat the next day at lunch. I really need to watch my sodium and this way I can control the sodium content of my meal. Frozen meals and canned soup contain way too much sodium for me. I would round that out with a protein/nut bar and a piece of fruit for your other break. And don't forget the water. Good luck.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My five minute to make lunch:
    1 salmon or tuna pack
    6 triscuits
    28 grams of mixed nuts
    apple or banana (or both)
    couple of handfuls of a variety of raw veggies: baby carrots, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, mini cucumbers, sugar snap peas, mini peppers. If I had, I would prep celery and cucumber.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can you take a thermos of hearty soup? You need something you can wolf down, and soup or something like stew or chili always works for me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if you have fridge or microwave at work. Peanut butter sandwiches take almost 0 time to make and last all day. Whole fruits.
    If you have fridge, salad, veggies. If you don't want to do prep, just buy individual salads on the weekend to last all week or individual packs of cut up lunch meat and cheese (lunchables) and bags of shredded lettuce. If you have microwave, soup. As others have said, tuna kits, TV dinners, if they work for you.