When is too late for a wedding dress?

Options
Im 5ft 2,weigh roughly 130lbs and goal weight is sitting around 110ish lbs
Only 20lbs left to lose (I started at 137lbs in October) and the wedding is in October but I'm not fussed if I don't reach goal weight in time.

Hopefully I'll be goal weight by the end of summer but is that too late for getting a dress? Im not going for a custom size but I'd hate to get it too early and go down another size but I also don't want to leave it too late.

Basically whens the best time to call weightloss quits and try on dresses?

Thank you <3

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the nice seamstresses at the bridal shop about your issue. A good seamstress has a lot of knowledge about what might be the best style of dress for you, how to accomodate your weight loss, and so on. She will also know which dresses will be easier to take in. Some styles are more flexible than others, and what flatters you will depend on your body type, and so on.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You need to ask the bridal stores - I found they were all different. You may also fluke finding your dress and size on the rack....

I had mine made - luckily my designer was really flexible and didn't start the real dress until 4 weeks before!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    if youre planning on buying off the rack and will likely need no or minimal alterations - id say anytime.

im getting married this spring, bought my dress earier this year. it will likely have to be taken in a little, and definitely hemmed shorter, but with the style of dress i bought, neither will be a big deal. ill wait till the month before.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The bridal store I used had to order my size in (they only stock sample size) and they needed 3 months for mine to come.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to the bridal shop. They can answer that best! You could also get a second opinion from an outside seamstress. I ordered 3 junior bridesmaids dresses for my kids through David's Bridal. They were in a growth spurt so I knew the dresses would need alterations at some point. David's bridal gave me a time frame of, I want to say 4-5 weeks. Our regular seamstress told me one week (and did a fantastic job.). And she was cheaper!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    I was 5 months pregnant when I got married. I bought a dress off the rack about 1 month before my wedding. It fit fine.
    I would say stop losing and start dress shopping at minimum 1-2 months before your wedding date. Depends on what you want. Talk to some dress shops or seamstresses and see what they reccomend based on how long it takes to get a dress or get something altered.

If it took you 3 months or so to lose 7 lbs and you have 20 lbs you sort of want to lose you probably will not be dropping dress sizes fast by August or September. I would think it would take at least 5 lbs to change your clothing size.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! <3
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Go shopping for your dream dress...then ask the shop on their policy... i've been married 19 years.. i remember buying my dress....then having it fitted a few weeks before the wedding..which was great because i was working out and lost weight. I bet things haven't changed much.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Definitely check the bridal shops well ahead of time. Most have to order the dresses, so I was told to order at least 3 months ahead if I wanted a formal gown. Since I didn't have that kind of time, and was planning an informal wedding, I bought one at a regular store that I could get in more quickly. It was the wrong size, so I ended up taking their try on model. Wedding dresses are sized weird. It is almost (?) a scam. They intend you to need alterations, which are expensive.

With only 20 pounds to lose, you might not change sizes much at this point. You could probably order now and just get it altered a few weeks before the wedding.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fussy you are. I bought mine off the rack a few weeks prior and selected on that needed minimal alterations.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    when your wedding is over.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I purchased a made-to-order gown so I needed to get it early (i ordered 9 mos early). The shop would only order it in my current size or I had to sign an agreement saying I understood I couldn't return it if I was still too heavy for it by my wedding (because it's custom). I lost 45lbs between buying my dress and my wedding. I found a good seamstress who made it fit like a glove for me and kept its shape. Reasonable price too. If it's stressing you out now, go shopping and get it altered a couple weeks before the wedding. I'd rather get the one I want than wait too long and have to settle for what is available in my short time frame.
  • katytreadwell
    katytreadwell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So I’m going to the bridal shop on Saturday to do an initial try on of my dress (ordered it back in July so took around 5 months to get delivered) and I have also made an appointment with the seamstress on the 16th March and another one 2 weeks before my wedding (5/5/18) and she said I’d have to stop loosing that 2 weeks before.
    Good luck!