1200cals is this not too low? Thoughts?! Please add me!

Options
My PT says you should stick too 2000 as any less and your body will start storing fat not losing? I’m new to this and want to lose 18lbs. Any help or tips gratefully received!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? Did you set your weight loss goal to 2lb per week?

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try 2000kcal and see what happens. I lose on 2000kcal and I'm not alone in that. Do what your PT recommends and keep track of the results, and adjust accordingly. I'm sure your PT knows more about you, and your routine, than we do.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It’s entirely dependent on your TDEE on whether you’ll lose on 2,000 calories.

If your PT made a sweeping statement about everyone having a TDEE above 2,000, I’d probably just go with what MFP puts you at for a 0.5 lb/week weight loss instead.

If they were saying you personally need 2,000 based on your stats and activities, then that sounds fine to me!
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200. It's not a lot,but it's working so far. I had a good first week :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm confused. 1200 or 2000? 1200 might be too low or not depending on your activity. I'd like to lose 18 lbs too, for example, but I'd be completely starving on 1200 as I typically burn 2200 on a normal day (average 15k steps).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My PT says you should stick too 2000 as any less and your body will start storing fat not losing? I’m new to this and want to lose 18lbs. Any help or tips gratefully received!

No, your body will not store more fat if you eat less than 2000 calories. If you would lose weight on 2000 calories then you would lose faster at a lower amount.
    You certainly might need more than 1200 calories to fuel your body depending on your size and activity level.
    What is your height and weight? Put your information into my fittness pal and choose a goal of losing .5-1 lb a week and get a calorie goal to lose weight.
  • Nottaway1
    Nottaway1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try both, I would bet you’ll fall in the middle. Weight lost should dictate calories, Aim for 2 lbs a week. If you lose more than 2 lbs, increase 100 calories. If you don’t lose, decrease by 100. I start at 2k and lose 2-3 lbs/week. After 6 months or so, I’ll drop to 1750 to maintain 2 lb lost.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Based on this I'd say your PT doesn't know what he/she is talking about and it might be a good idea to find a new one. In the meantime plug in your stats on this website, set a reasonable loss goal and eat to that number MFP gives you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't store fat if you eat too little. Unfortunately many PTs know nothing about nutrition.

With ony 18 lbs to lose, you should set your goal to no more than 1 lb per week. Put in your stats and MFP will give you a calorie goal. Log your exercise and eat at least some of this calories back. Log accurately and consistently, choosing the database entries carefully (as many have been incorrectly entered by users). Get training guidance from your PT if you want, but ignore their diet advise. I am 5'4 and 130 lbs lightly active, and I would gain a lb or two a month eating 2000 cals. I lost weight eating @1500 cals.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If PT says 2000, but you think 1200 is too low, why not try in the middle? Try something like 1800 cals for a week or two. If the scale doesn't budge, try 1600 for a couple weeks, etc.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you can hone in on your hunger cues, you will know the right amount of calories you can eat to gain, maintain or lose. Every body is different.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2300, meaning I can eat that much without gaining. Find out what your TDEE (maintenance calories) are. 1200 is very low. I tried that once and was dizzy & weak before I found out what my maintenance was. I'm on 1660 now and it works. I'd try 1600.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you can hone in on your hunger cues, you will know the right amount of calories you can eat to gain, maintain or lose. Every body is different.

That works for some people, and works with practice for some more, but it's not always true for everyone.

A lot of times, people in the 'honeymoon' phase of weight loss post something along the lines of, "1200 calories is too many. Do I really have to keep eating if I feel full at 900?" Chalk it up to being highly-motivated at the outset, eating foods that are more satiating, drinking more water, etc.

In my case, I eat at a moderate deficit and generally walk about 2 hours a day and strength-train three days a week. Two months ago, I had surgery. On medical orders, I was forbidden to lift more than three pounds for a couple of weeks. And, because I had a catheter bag for the first five days, I didn't want to leave the house. (I was worried about the bag showing and I was worried about the need to check discreetly whether it needed draining.) Now, I had MFP set up for me to lose 1lb a week prior to the surgery. I was eating back half my exercise calories. After the surgery, I reset it to 1/2-lb. I figured, even though I couldn't exercise, I also wouldn't need the extra calories because there was no workout to fuel. And, for the first time in nearly a year, hunger was big problem for me. Okay, it was only for those five days, until I could start walking again, but it was the only time that I found it hard to stick to the program.

It's not exactly news to me that exercise helps reduce my hunger pangs (within reason! Like I said, I eat back half my calories to fuel those workouts). But I hadn't expected such a dramatic difference when I had to go five days without it. But for those five days, my hunger cues were pretty unreliable.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your PT is wrong. Commenters saying that 1200 is never appropriate for anyone are also wrong.

1200 is the minimum number of calories recommended for women. It is appropriate for a small group of people (no pun intended), such as very short women. I am less than 5 feet tall and I lost weight eating 1200 calories plus exercise calories.

MFP, however, gives most women the minimum 1200 calories if they put in a weight loss pace of 2 lb. per week. However, if you aren't in that "very short" category, you can likely lose weight at a slower pace by eating more than 1200. Try calculating your calorie goals with a 1 lb. per week weight loss instead.