Smoothies

Options
elcollins2809
elcollins2809 Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I’m addicted to junk food at the moment but I’m here to ask; how do you guys make great appetising smoothies.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I find them a waste of my calories.
  • elcollins2809
    Options
    I don’t really have time in the morning before work. I know there are some out there that get up really early to make a great protein breakfast but I’m not just there yet. So I I can have smoothies rather than leaving home hungry and end up getting junk because I’m staving by lunch. That’s all
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’m addicted to junk food at the moment but I’m here to ask; how do you guys make great appetising smoothies.

Drinking my calories does nothing for me. I'd rather had an apple and a salad.

Try the recipe section for ideas
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don’t really have time in the morning before work. I know there are some out there that get up really early to make a great protein breakfast but I’m not just there yet. So I I can have smoothies rather than leaving home hungry and end up getting junk because I’m staving by lunch. That’s all

Prep the night before.

I saw your other thread as well and at the end of the day, if you want to lose weight you'll need to make some lifestyle changes to enable that to happen.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I don't find smoothies that great either - they don't do anything to fill me up, and when I had them I still wanted food!

You could prepare plenty of things in advance - overnight oats, yoghurt (a high protein one, or add protein powder, with fruit, nuts etc), egg muffins/frittata, wraps or sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, protein pancakes/waffles.
  • elcollins2809
    Options
    Tavisstocktoad, I actually never that of that, thanks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I’m addicted to junk food at the moment; how do you guys make great appetising smoothies.
    I don’t really have time in the morning before work. I know there are some out there that get up really early to make a great protein breakfast but I’m not just there yet. So I I can have smoothies rather than leaving home hungry and end up getting junk because I’m staving by lunch.
    I think you are making some odd connections and juxtapositions. Not your fault, I blame the diet industry, but they don't help you either way. You aren't addicted to junk food, you have a habit of eating certain things you like, maybe eating too much of it, because you like it, and who can blame you, they're designed to be irresistible, cheap and always available, marketed to appeal to our social as well as our selfish instincts; enjoying food is frowned upon; all these things combined gives us a fear of weight gain and health problems; trying to avoid the foods we like, makes us overeat.

Smoothies you like are appetizing to you. If you don't like smoothies at all, you don't have to make smoothies. If you're hungry in the morning, you need to eat. If you don't have time for "a great protein breakfast", a smoothie isn't the only alternative. A sandwich or a yogurt or a banana is fine. You don't have to eat junk for lunch. If you bring lunch, you can eat that.
  • me_doing17
    me_doing17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me i replace the breakfast with chia seeds. I put them in the water the evening before. This i chose because in the morning i do not have time to eat breakfast. I like to wake up late
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id rather eat my food than drink it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are Greek yogurt, protein powder, and fruit + water until I get the consitency I want. Blueberries & blackberry yogurt. PB2 + 1/2 a banana. Frozen mixed berries. I don't use recipes so I tend to go off my eyeballs and logging skills. I keep them around 300-400 calories.

Hunger and satiety work differently for everyone, so maybe we can let the OP play around and see what works best for them?
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I was another one who realized I was consuming a lot of calories in my smoothies. Here's one that is pared down a bit: 1/2 cup or so of vanilla almond milk, a banana, 2 tsp peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups or so of ice or water. I think this makes a large smoothie with less than 300 calories. Wishing you all the best in your journey to kick junk food. You can do it :)

It would probably be helpful to add some spinach, but I don't usually do that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I only do smoothies in the summer when it's hot. I buy greens when they're cheap and freeze them in zip lock bags. My smoothies are water, flavored protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen greens and blueberries.

Otherwise, I'll plan ahead hard boiled eggs, mini frittatas, overnight yogurt and oats, and usually add an English muffin.
  • geatoomer
    geatoomer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic 2 and strive to keep my carbs at 15 g per meal or snack. I shy away from most fruits due to carbs. I mix almond milk, ice cubes, maybe 1/4 of small banana and a scoop of protein powder. If I feel the need I mix in a couple tablespoons Greek Yogurt. Some days I throw in a small amount of mixed berries or a tsp. Of peanut or almond butter instead of the banana. It keeps my blood sugars under control and keeps me full until around 10:00 when I eat a small snack. I usually drink a smoothie as I drive to work at 5am.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are nice but ends up being caloric after you end up throwing in 3 different fruit and veggies. Doesn't stick with you either.
    Make a peanut butter and banana sandwich on lite bread.....much for satisfying! Easier than making a smoothie. You gotta clean up after your done with the blender....YUCK!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I enjoy smoothies sometimes, the ones I like are the same calories as my other common breakfasts. There are lots of super fast breakfasts if that's what you want.

I'm finally off my current smoothie kick, the cold weather finally got me. My current recipe (although it varies a lot) is protein powder (vanilla or plain), half an avocado, bunch of frozen greens, some roasted (and chilled) winter squash), and some berries (usually strawberries or blueberries), some homemade cashew milk (optional), and extra water to the right consistency.

When I was out of avocado I used banana instead.

I used to find smoothies not that filling, but lately they are as filling as any other breakfast (which means I'm good 'til lunch). I tend to enjoy them especially if I run first thing in the morning, since I often don't feel like eating right after. Going to do something warm tomorrow, though.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options

There are ton of meal prep smoothie sites/videos online. Google, "meal prep smoothie" you can prep for a week, really convenient.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    We make one every morning with homemade kefir, liquid egg whites, a banana, oatmeal (not cooked), frozen fruit, and a double handful of greens if I have some. Lately its been radish greens from the garden. The whole thing is blended in a blendtec and we end up with two 24 oz servings. I'd rather drink my breakfast then eat it. Its very large, protein comes from kefir, egg whites and oatmeal. I generally drink it in my home office, or driving to my office office.

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

I was another one who realized I was consuming a lot of calories in my smoothies. Here's one that is pared down a bit: 1/2 cup or so of vanilla almond milk, a banana, 2 tsp peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups or so of ice or water. I think this makes a large smoothie with less than 300 calories. Wishing you all the best in your journey to kick junk food. You can do it :)

It would probably be helpful to add some spinach, but I don't usually do that.

I make a similar smoothie!! I use homemade almond milk, banana, 1 tbsp of fresh ground peanut butter and about 1/2-1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa. I'm using a bit more peanut butter than you are, and less almond milk (probably about 1/3 cup). It actually keeps me full through a 45 minute walk and 2-3 hours of work!

Another quick breakfast is an apple with 1-2 tbsp of nut butter (depends on how many calories you have). This or just a banana would be my no time to eat breakfast.

My typical breakfast is oatmeal with 10 g of sunflower seeds, pomegranate seeds (blueberries or raisins), cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp of maple syrup. And a fried or boiled egg. I did find last week when I was out of eggs that eating a quarter cup (or weight in grams) of the sunflower seeds in the oatmeal kept me pretty full.

I buy the old fashioned oatmeal and cook it in my rice cooker in the morning. It does take a few minutes. You could buy the 1 minute oats, if you like oatmeal and eat that.

I don't eat yogurt but you could make some smoothies with plain yogurt and berries.

On another note a "smoothie" with ice cream to me is a milk shake or an ice cream float! A dessert.