100 pounds to loose in 2018

Options
Hiya, I'm Jeri . I have a long journey ahead of me, and this is my last year before I turn 40. I REFUSE to start yet another decade fat and frumpy... I want to hit 40 FIT and FABULOUS. I have one year to do it. Looking for some friends to do it with, that are in the same boat? It was a hard toss up between low carb and low cal, but decided to go the low cal route this time round, clean eating, more exercise and trying my best to cut the alcohol out. I'm in Perth Aus, ;) xx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If 100 pounds is all you have to lose, you can't lose it all in a year - but you can make a big dent in it, if you stick to your calorie goal. This means that you can't force weightloss, so low cal is out. Just go with MFP's suggestion. Clean eating also means nothing, except virtuous eating, and that's not something that will help you stick to your calorie goal, which you have to, in order to lose - and maintain - weight. Other things you need, is sufficient, neutral and balanced information, so you feel safe and in charge, to have spotted the common weightloss scams, so you know how weightloss works, to be patient and knowing how to assess your results, a concrete day to day action plan, and some ideas of how to overcome the most common hurdles.
  • JeriBee33
    JeriBee33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kommodevaran :) I should have said calorie control, not really low cal.. lol. But absolutely on the clean eating, all processed, refined crap is out. Thank you so much for the encouragement :) xxxxxx Happy New Years. xx
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I’m looking to lose 80 pounds this coming year. It’s always been easy for me to start but keeping up with it’s hard. No one to answer to makes it easy to slip. If you find a away to stick with it let me know
  • Sharons114
    Sharons114 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to lose 100 lbs. I have absolutely NO support at home from my fiance. It's not that he likes me overweight (far from it), he regularly makes remarks about my weight. I have a difficult time overlooking his rudeness & he doesn't seem to care if my feelings are hurt. We all know what happens next ... hurt feelings = emotional eating. What a terrible cycle. I hope nobody else deals with this, but if you plz let me know that I'm not alone.
  • JeriBee33
    Options
    IanMoone30 wrote: »
    I’m looking to lose 80 pounds this coming year. It’s always been easy for me to start but keeping up with it’s hard. No one to answer to makes it easy to slip. If you find a away to stick with it let me know

I'm the same.. Been yo-yoing for 10- years now... and just bloody tired of 'always starting'.. feels like I give it my all, and then one slip up turns into putting right back to the beginning and then some. The thing is... I know what to do.. its just bloody doing it.. or doing it, and not UNDOING it. lol. Looking forward to seeing our journey this year. (we can do this ) xx
  • JeriBee33
    Options
    Sharons114 wrote: »
    I'm also looking to lose 100 lbs. I have absolutely NO support at home from my fiance. It's not that he likes me overweight (far from it), he regularly makes remarks about my weight. I have a difficult time overlooking his rudeness & he doesn't seem to care if my feelings are hurt. We all know what happens next ... hurt feelings = emotional eating. What a terrible cycle. I hope nobody else deals with this, but if you plz let me know that I'm not alone.

Oh Sharon hun, thats just awful, and how crap and hard for you. I'm lucky I have hubby who supports me, but then he is also my downfall, as he is battling weight too, and it just takes one of us too slip, the other one falls too.... So that makes it really hard. He works away (does three weeks away, then three weeks home), when he is away, I am so good, and its not hard, but as soon as he comes home, its lunches, holidays, dinners, nights out..... pure temptation round every corner, and then I end up undoing all the work I did when he was away. I haven't been in any pictures for about 10 years (a lot of my friends probably think I'm dead or something), I'm like a ghost in my life. I can't start the next 10 years like this. I worry that if I don't sort it out now... this will be me... old and obese... !!!! morbid.. I know.

I'm happy to listen if you ever need the support of motivation :) Sometimes the best way to beat a bully, is show them what you are capable of ;) xx
  • janis6331
    janis6331 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would like to be friends with everyone who commented above. I have 100 pounds to lose. For the past 5 years I have suffered poor mental health and for the past year I have really wanted to get my weight sorted out. When I was 32 I weighed 9 and a half stone I am now nearly 16 stone. I can't breath let alone do things. I hate it but I don't have the determination I once had. Could really do with some people to share this journey with.
  • zonnebloem69
    zonnebloem69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Your stories sound like me. I have 60 to loose and turn 50 Next year. It only gets harder the older you get so I have to get started “again”.
    I am getting more aches and pains due to the fact being overweight.
    Tomorrow back to work and a Good day to start.
    Good luck everyone
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    JeriBee33 wrote: »
    Thanks Kommodevaran :) I should have said calorie control, not really low cal.. lol. But absolutely on the clean eating, all processed, refined crap is out. Thank you so much for the encouragement :) xxxxxx Happy New Years. xx
    It's great to hear that you're going for calorie control, not low cal. Just bear in mind that that is hard enough, you'll be eating less, you don't need additional restrictions. Many modern man made foods have nutrients refined out of them, and are thus calorie dense, easy to eat and overeat - but that doesn't make them "crap". That makes them always available, as well as highly desirable foods that many of us have to be careful with. Demonizing them doesn't work. Demonizing only intensifes our desire. Calling the food you like, crap, is demonizing it. Calling the alternative "clean" should make that desirable, and it does, for a while, until the term has evolved into "foods I don't particularly like". You can eat foods you don't particularly like, for a while, but then you absolutely can't and your only alternative is "crap", but you need it, you must have taste and freedom, and you eat to get that, and overeat because you feel you have failed, your diet, yourself, everything.
    JeriBee33 wrote: »
    IanMoone30 wrote: »
    I'm the same.. Been yo-yoing for 10- years now... and just bloody tired of 'always starting'.. feels like I give it my all, and then one slip up turns into putting right back to the beginning and then some. The thing is... I know what to do.. its just bloody doing it.. or doing it, and not UNDOING it. lol. Looking forward to seeing our journey this year. (we can do this ) xx
    What you are planning to do now, is keeping up "always starting". "Give it your all" IS "always starting", because giving your all means trying to be perfect, and we can't be perfect, so any bump in the road means a slip-up. We want our roads to be bump-free, but they aren't, roads are built up by bumps.

You think you know what to do, you are certain that you know. If you did, you'd done it, and it would have worked. The perpetuated misconceptions of what it takes to manage our weight, is why the diet industry is a billion dollar industry. There is no money in eating less. Glorious promises and returning, desperate and self-loathing customers keeps this going. You can break the cycle. It takes a lot of effort to change your mindset, but with a different attitude, you'll actually succeed, and spend a lot less effort than you are putting in now.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Don’t mess yourself up over the time it will take to lose 100lbs.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Focus on just 1lb at a time my friend!
    One meal at a time, one workout at a time...

Even if you manage to lose just 40lbs or even 20lbs by age 40, you will have increased your quality of life and longevity by that much more
  • ssmarquits84
    ssmarquits84 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jeri I can relate. I have 90lbs to lose and the last thing I want is another year saying WHEN I GET IN SHAPE.
  • mcart15
    mcart15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat!
  • darthCP91
    darthCP91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 120 lbs. I’m tired of being tired all the time, and self esteem being in shreds. I’d like to have friends to help motivate so send me request if you are in same situation.
  • jorikaH1
    jorikaH1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Please send me a friend request. also need support to loose about 50kg. dont know.how many pounds it is.
  • rachita1
    rachita1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Corinne Crabtree’s phit-n-phat.com

Awesome instruction if you want to lose 100 or more lbs. Also, I’m one of her podcast junkies. Awesome program!