Oven-baked chicken fingers

anabellebf
anabellebf Posts: 43
edited September 19 in Recipes
Hi! I posted this already in another thread, but I thought it good enough to post on its own.

Step 1: Make your own bread crumbs with stale whole wheat bread. Cut the bread into chunks, put the chunks in a blender or food processor and mix until all crumbly. Spread on a baking sheet, put in the oven at 350 for 7 minutes (up to 10 minutes if you like them close to burnt). You can make a big batch and keep what you don't need in the freezer in a freezer bag... they'll keep forever.

For the chicken fingers, cut your chicken in strips of the size you like. Mix the crumbs with spices (I put paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dried basil - but you can really make up your own mix). In a bowl, beat 1 or 2 eggs (1 for 2 breasts, 2 for 4 breasts, etc...), or only whites if you like. Coat the chicken strip in the egg, cover up with the crumb mix and place in a pyrex sprayed with cooking spray.

I baked them at 350 for 40 minutes, and they were excellent.

You could also flavour the chicken beforehand, by letting them marinate in lemon juice, for example, overnight.

The kids won't see the difference between these and those you buy already frozen and full of bad stuff!

Replies

• Hi! I posted this already in another thread, but I thought it good enough to post on its own.

Step 1: Make your own bread crumbs with stale whole wheat bread. Cut the bread into chunks, put the chunks in a blender or food processor and mix until all crumbly. Spread on a baking sheet, put in the oven at 350 for 7 minutes (up to 10 minutes if you like them close to burnt). You can make a big batch and keep what you don't need in the freezer in a freezer bag... they'll keep forever.

For the chicken fingers, cut your chicken in strips of the size you like. Mix the crumbs with spices (I put paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dried basil - but you can really make up your own mix). In a bowl, beat 1 or 2 eggs (1 for 2 breasts, 2 for 4 breasts, etc...), or only whites if you like. Coat the chicken strip in the egg, cover up with the crumb mix and place in a pyrex sprayed with cooking spray.

I baked them at 350 for 40 minutes, and they were excellent.

You could also flavour the chicken beforehand, by letting them marinate in lemon juice, for example, overnight.

The kids won't see the difference between these and those you buy already frozen and full of bad stuff!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Great recipe I will definitely use it! Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • bump!
  • missyelliot22
    missyelliot22 Posts: 10 Member
    Hiya these sound lovely and atleast you know whats in them unlike some of those ones you get from stores.

Do you know the nutritional value of these? i.e calories and fat

shon x
  • It's hard to calculate the nutritional value of these since there are no exact measurements... the nv of oven-baked chicken breasts, add a little protein and fat from the egg coating (but so very little) and some carbs from the crumbs... but it's probably so very little that your regular oven-baked chicken nv would be close enough.

Does that help?
This discussion has been closed.