Toning up

Options
Hi, need some help, I am trying to find some work out classes I can following at home, have lost around 5st and have excess skin that needs toning up, I Cycle at least 4 times a week this being indoor with BKOOL but need to tone up, can anyone recommend classes I can follow online... thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You cannot "tone up" excess skin. If you have excess skin, it's because it expanded to due carrying excess fat on your body.
    It's either going to retract on it's own (up to 2 years), or it's not. Sorry, but that's the truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tinaknight30
    tinaknight30 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for that, what about classes for tighten abs, planks etc will that not help reduce and tighten the skin?
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen people’s skin tighten up over the next 6 months after weight loss. Sometimes it can take longer for the skin to catch up!
    Although any toning you do will enhance your shape and therefore possibly improve your skins appearance! I enjoy looking up different free weight exercises on Pinterest to add to my strength training routines. I’m also a big workout at home person!
  • briananicole86
    briananicole86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if links are allowed, but I have a story and a couple suggestions.

A few years ago, I went from 220 to 145 quickly using MFP, but I was unhappy with the resulting loose skin around my midsection. It was then that I spoke with a friend who is a nutritionist and she told me that my rapid weight loss was partially to blame. It turns out that it is super important to incorporate exercise and lots of water from day one of any weight loss. Taking these steps after the fact can help the 'bounceback' over time, but it does not seem nearly as effective as putting them into practice while losing weight in the first place. It can also help to avoid fats and sugars, in addition to the increased water intake.

LiveStrong has a great article on steps you can take both during and after weight loss to help your skin improve, and I highly recommend it. (https://www.livestrong.com/article/456408-how-to-lose-weight-without-sagging-skin/)

Sadly, I gained most of my weight back, but I am taking it as an opportunity to lose the weight the right way this time (rather than simply food restricting) in hopes that the results will be more satisfying and (hopefully) put me on a healthier path.

Best of luck to you! I hope some of this info helps :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you cant tone excess skin.

its .... skin. not a muscle.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I went from 220 to 145 quickly using MFP, but I was unhappy with the resulting loose skin around my midsection. It was then that I spoke with a friend who is a nutritionist and she told me that my rapid weight loss was partially to blame.

Loose skin can take up to 2-3 years to snap back, so losing weight slowly creates less looseness during those 2-3 years - which led to the myth that losing slowly prevents loose skin. But 3 years after losing the weight, the results are the same regardless of the speed of loss. :+1: