Ladies how do you exercise on your cycle?

Options
I know every period is different month to month, just wanted to see how do you deal? Any particular strategies?
I’m an avid exerciser but right before and during my cycle I’m so physically drained it’s hard to do any of my typical workouts. Not until CD3 do I feel back to my normal self.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A few rest days won't do any harm
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Potentially not the answer you’re looking for but I have the depo injection so I no longer have regular cycles and periods which means I’m free to exercise all month long. It COULD be something you want to look into depending on the rest of your circumstances of course!
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Potentially not the answer you’re looking for but I have the depo injection so I no longer have regular cycles and periods which means I’m free to exercise all month long. It COULD be something you want to look into depending on the rest of your circumstances of course!

Thanks Sara, but I’m actively TTC and also all the birth controls seem to just take away my sex drive. :( Something I really enjoy having...! I’m glad you found something that works for you though.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel while I have my cycle. If I feel crappy I take a day to rest. If I feel fine then I exercise.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I judge where I am. Bare minimum, I go for a walk and keep it light and try to avoid any about workouts. But I do try to get out since exercise both minimizes symptoms that I really hate (cramping and moodiness) and seems to help shorten my tom.

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I never feel like going but the pain relief from a good adrenaline pumping cardio session is always worth it so I force myself
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and wear Thinx.
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and wear Thinx.
    I wear thinxx too! Love them.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can't use BC and my 2nd day if my cycle is really bad. I keep it short those days and inside my house.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I no longer have to worry about this, but when I did, my most helpful things were iron supplements and caffeine. Particularly if you feel tired after your cycle consider iron. I recommend bifera which is easier to absorb.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As I have recently tracked and discovered, I have one week in 8 that I am absolutely floored with exhaustion because of the way my psych meds interact with my hormones and the pill. None of those things are optionals to stop so I just let myself not do anything if I can't. But I'm talking sleeping 14 hours a day and still feeling like death kind of exhaustion.

The other part of my cycle (I run 8 weeks because, as I joke, only one ovary hates me so symptoms are bi-monthly in variation) I just get a bit of cramping and feel a bit poop. That I'll just work through for the most part.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Same as always. But I have very minor symptoms during it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have two weeks where I am affected by all the hormonal stuff, ovulation and my period. That said, I deload my weights and increase my reps for my lifting. For my running, I just run the best I can and most times just getting the running started I find that I perform a little better than the way I feel. Being 50 this year means all that middle age stuff is going on and I just modify/adjust and keep going.
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift during my period. It helps with the cramps and moodiness for me. Cardio is not my friend those few days so I keep that lighter.

I also let myself eat at maintenance if I'm feeling super hungry.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I usually have one day with terrible cramps and fatigue. If I’m scheduled to meet workout buddies when it hits I try to push through and just move a little slower. I don’t like flaking on my friends. If it’s a home workout day I usually let myself slide and take an extra rest day
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I workout regardless - it actually lessens any cramping.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I only really get cramping one day a month so I will schedule it as a rest day. Side note, my cramping has really improved since getting a menstrual cup and I don't even notice it when I'm working out.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I too try to exercise as it shortens my cycle. But I can suffer from fatigue the first day particularly as I usually get a surge of energy the day before and sometimes over do it as often I'll use the surge to clean the house for hours on end. A walk on those days helps. Surprisingly my cycles have been a lot less painful and lighter since having kids, I now have short (25days) cycle with 3 days of flow usually. I understand its usually the other way around after kids.