No added sugar

Options
Does anyone know off an App that would scan products for added sugar?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food labels don't even differentiate between natural or added sugars
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a nice app to exist, but I don't know of any. I try to lower my sugar intake in general (I tend to eat a ton if I'm not being careful and I have blood sugar issues so this isn't ideal). Honestly if you do more things homemade you will cut down overall sugar content in general.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

In the United States food labels are not required to provide this information. I don't know how an app would get this information (it's not like there's a recipe on every food label). Even if an app could do this, how would it help you? Eating fewer calories is what is required for weight loss.

Instead of focusing on sugar.......focus on meeting protein, focus on getting fiber, focus on eating healthy fats. These things are filling, these things will help you keep calories in check.

Eliminating this food or that food (for a time) is temporary. How does temporary fit into lifelong maintenance?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you read the ingredients list, it's easy to tell. At least, I've always found it pretty obvious (and if I don't know what something is I normally look it up). Are there things that you are confused about.

Also, just be aware of what ingredients/foods have inherent sugar. That can help too if you combine that knowledge with the total amount of sugar in an item.

Things on the ingredients list are listed in order of predominance.
  • Chapmanwife
    Chapmanwife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    trying the whole food approach for myself.. Too frustrating any other way to figure out if what I am eating is in excess for the day. Everything is okay in moderation, including moderation.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

You could look at the food label, it will state if sugar is added in the ingredients list.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labels will start tracking added sugar soon. Some labels already reflect the change. So you won't need an app for that, specifically.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It is kind of unnecessary.
    If you are truly concerned, read labels and avoid processed, pre packaged foods. Processed foods have added sugars and sodium. Do your own cooking from scratch and you can control the ingredients that go into the food you consume.