Planet fitness

Options
I rejoined planet fitness. It’s 20 mins from my work and 30 from home but I have to do it. I just can’t justify the expensive gym I was going to.

Replies

• lizzysan85
    lizzysan85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They also have a app to help you keep track of calories burned based on their machines. I'll start going again now that I'm cleared from surgery.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love my PF as well. So they serve pizza ONE day a month. If you don't want it, don't eat it. That doesn't make it a bad place. I've been to a couple of them and they are always clean, bright and well equipped. The locker rooms are nice with plenty of room. The one I use now has a 30-minute circuit and a 12-minute ab circuit. The biggest complaint I hear is from those who want to use free weights. The amount available varies from place to place. I'm not a weight person, so it doesn't bother me but if you are a bodybuilder, it could be a problem for you. I say whatever gets you moving is what matters. Good luck to us all in 2018!
  • vonveganstein
    vonveganstein Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined PF after taking a year off , due to moving and getting out of the routine. Feels good to go back. The haters can hate all they want, it works for me and that is what matters.
  • Nottaway1
    Nottaway1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Plan on joining this week. So looking forward to it!!!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Good for you. There are PF haters, (I'm not personally a fan) but that's fine. The biggest thing about working out is showing up. You will be a lot better off working out a PF 3-4 times a week for all of 2018 vs the person that goes into a hardcore gym once or twice a month during 2018.

Best of luck.
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this post. They are opening a new Planet Fitness about 10 minutes away from my house and I've been debating joining. I'm in a specialized orthopedic exercise program for people getting ready for surgery but they keep bankers hours and my job doesn't.
  • pilarslayer
    pilarslayer Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think I have only been to a planet fitness once but all I hear about it is the lunk alarm and how they like to kick people out.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If there was a Planet Fitness within a 30 minute drive of my home, I would join! My current gym is EXPENSIVE and has VERY limited hours! (I.E. - open only 9am - 2pm on Sundays, 9-6 on Saturdays, closes at 7pm on Fridays, and only open fairly "normal" hours M-Thur - 5:30 - 9pm).

I WISH we had a PF nearby - it may not be the GREATEST but it would be more usable for me than the one I currently belong to.
  • JacklynSullivan
    JacklynSullivan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my Planet Fitness. Very clean and everyone is always kind. I also love the 24 hour option since I often do not go until 10 pm or later! I also have a buddy that can't really afford even the $10 a month, so I pay for the black card so I can bring her for free!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I think I have only been to a planet fitness once but all I hear about it is the lunk alarm and how they like to kick people out.

I'm here now! Haven't heard the lunk alarm and I've been coming regularly (2-3x /week) since July.

I have a black card membership because it includes the massage beds, which are a nice treat. When I didn't want to exercise that was a great motivator! Also the trainer at the one I go to is excellent. Sometimes my husband comes with me, or my mom. Sometimes it's just me.

Today is pizza day so it'll probably be crowded this afternoon. So I'm working out now. But I'm totally coming by for some pizza later on, hahaha!
  • DulcimerRick
    DulcimerRick Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Been a member for over a year, and have never seen/heard any of this happen.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I love my PF membership. They get some hate, but I feel like it's unjustified. It's clean, has a nice assortment of gear and classes, and the price is right.

They caricatureize the fitness enthusiast all to perpetuate a stereotype of the gym being full of judgment (but their not) all while being the most judgmental gym around for the all mighty dollar.

I'd say the "hate" is pretty well justified, but the marketing plan is genius.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I love my PF membership. They get some hate, but I feel like it's unjustified. It's clean, has a nice assortment of gear and classes, and the price is right.

They caricatureize the fitness enthusiast all to perpetuate a stereotype of the gym being full of judgment (but their not) all while being the most judgmental gym around for the all mighty dollar.

I'll agree with this. Good if it works for you. But they seem pretty judgemental. If only to appeal to their client base.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lizzysan85 wrote: »
    They also have a app to help you keep track of calories burned based on their machines. I'll start going again now that I'm cleared from surgery.

Really? Sweet, I'll look it up.
  • jb050794
    Options

The ones by my house are ok. I 've heard the lunk alarm go off only once because someone dropped a heavy weight. I find the concept of that alarm unnecessary.
  • jb050794
    Options
    I love my PF as well. So they serve pizza ONE day a month. If you don't want it, don't eat it. That doesn't make it a bad place. I've been to a couple of them and they are always clean, bright and well equipped. The locker rooms are nice with plenty of room. The one I use now has a 30-minute circuit and a 12-minute ab circuit. The biggest complaint I hear is from those who want to use free weights. The amount available varies from place to place. I'm not a weight person, so it doesn't bother me but if you are a bodybuilder, it could be a problem for you. I say whatever gets you moving is what matters. Good luck to us all in 2018!

Very true. The two locations by my house have so little free weights.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near a Planet Fitness but I wish I had access to one because of those massage beds. They sound nice. I thought I was lucky to have the massage chairs at my gym. I use them nearly every day I go on my way out provided I am not in a rush.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I'll agree with this. Good if it works for you. But they seem pretty judgemental. If only to appeal to their client base.

See, when I went in and signed up, all I knew was that it was a gym that was one shopping center over from the grocery store we use regularly. We don't have TV other than Netflix, so I hadn't seen any of their advertisements. It was several months before I saw one linked to the MFP discussion boards. And it definitely played to people's assumptions about gym regulars.

However, my own experience at this particular gym has not been anything like the commercials. So I'd encourage folks not to confuse the corporate image with the actual mood. However, other locations may have a different vibe.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I want to join again. Our pf is like 5 min walk. So pretty much across the street.