1200 calorie successes?

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    More successful than I realized. I’m down 40 ish pounds and MFP 2017 report tells me my average calories were 1195.75999... this year. I had about 6 days off (cheat days didn’t log).

Lol, I’ve written in these threads that I ate between 1000 and 1400, I’ve written I ate 1200 ish most days etc. Both true and both statements highly criticized for not being specific enough.

1195.75999 calories per day averaged in 2017. :* Not sure I could get any closer to 1200 if I worked at it specifically to be on the 1200 nose perfectly.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are some good threads in the sticky section titled "Most Helpful" posts that I suggest you give a glance. Particularly the one about TDEE and BMR. For most people, 1200 is way too low. For most people, they will lose muscle mass along with fat on so low a number, which is why some are suggesting that. If your short and sedentary, and you can sustain it, good for you. Good luck on your journey!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical when MFP recommended 1100 calories to me. I’m 5’7”. SW was 180 and I’m down to 150. Want to hit about 135. Regardless, it seemed low to me. I consulted my doctor and he helped me find a multivitamin to help with any nutritional vitamins I may miss due to such a low calorie intake. But overall, he was on board as long as I hit my fat and protein macros.

HI! May i ask what you have your protein and fat targets set to? Thanks :)
  • sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I lost a stone in 7 dedicated months with 1200 calories per day.

https://palegirlgoeseast.wordpress.com/2017/12/29/how-i-gained-and-lost-weight-in-china/
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying 1200 is too low or a default number.. I realize that it may be true for some. I've lost significant amounts of weight four times, once when I was 20 years old and the other three times after my pregnancies. I've been at this game for awhile and even at my highest weight, I don't lose on even 1500 kcals. The only time I can lose is on 1200 kcals. I was just looking for some motivation from others as I have to lose again.

I have found the same to be true since having kids (and being 41 now!). If I eat more than 1200 calories a day, I just don't lose. I am short too (5'2") and I see many others around my height have been able to lose on 1200 and stay around that many calories so that is inspiring.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I’m 5ft4 and on 1200 too. I lost 56lb a few years back on 1200, I did eat back 75% exercise cals. I got out of habit of tracking & put back on 21lb.. restarted at end November (1200 again) and have dropped 6lb so far. I don’t have that much to lose (15lb now). It’s definitely manageable, I really plan ahead and make sure I build plenty of exercise in, which gives a bit more flexibility. It does work & I find I can eat v well on 1200, but I don’t drink fizzy drinks, eat that much sweet stuff etc. First couple of days I did feel hungry, but I’d kind of expect that. I also make sure I drink 2l water a day which really helps. Good luck!
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    5'3 and 172 lbs here. 1200 is a great number for me. On days I work out it's definitely closer to 1500, but sometimes no. I lose about 1 lb a week when I am not "trying" and when I really stick to it, 2 lbs.
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    shannonprovenzano2812 Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Of course it can be done on 1200 calories a day. That's the bare minimum for women, so yes, you SHOULD lose something.
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am 5' (157 cm) and I lost nearly 30 pounds (13,5 kg) in 4 months.
  • sky2217
    sky2217 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost 6.4 pounds in one week I'm 5'4 but this is the third time I've done this diet without exercising and I've lost 30+each time I eventually lower my calories as my body adjusts to the calorie intake or if I'm in a hurry to reach a goal.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started at 1700 a day last spring, but by summer I was eating 2-2500 a day and still losing weight due to an increase in activity. I’ve gained 10 lbs back since Summer but that’s because I binged several times a month and was less active. Now I’m back on track and excited to lose the winter gain
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!