Why am I not losing weight??

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to lose weight for the past few weeks and no results!! I am doing adequate exercise and taking extra good care of my food intake. For eg- I run/brisk walk 4 kilometres in the morning and at least burn 300-400 calories in the evening with gym (strength+cardio). My diet is a yogurt(fat free) muesli breakfast in the morning, meal replacement shake (rapid loss) in the afternoon and a salad for dinner. I snack on some almonds and apples during the day and drink 8 glasses of water. Just checked my weight yesterday and to my surprise, I have put on another kilo. I am 5’ 4’ tall and weigh 132 pounds. Though I am well within the BMI, I aspire to lose at least 18 pounds. What am I doing wrong?? Feeling totally devastated!!

Replies

• Sonapadman
    Sonapadman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Malibu,
    It’s been 3 weeks now. I have a food scale and measure everything. Log calories in mfp and even have a fitness watch to track the calories burned during exercise.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You said 3 weeks. I usually bloat in the beginning around this time and put on weight. Keep up with it another couple weeks and it will go down if you are weighing food/tracking calories the way you say
  • Sonapadman
    Options
    My current intake is 1200 calories per day and I am using My fitness pal to track it!
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There should be a flowchart floating around. Measurements can be off, try weighing in first thing in the morning before eating/drinking anything. Then consider the food measurement- remember to log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you've recently started a new workout your muscles may be retaining water for repairs. Check your logging, stay under your calories, and trust the process!

Oh, and try measuring - at your size you may see more difference in the tape than the scale.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    5’4” at 128lbs (started at 140 going for 116) losing slowly but steadily on 1,200 - 1,300 over here. It’s doable, it’s just.. slow. I reckon you just need to keep at it and keep going.
  • Sonapadman
    Options
    Hi SteamPug,

How long did it take you to lose 24lbs?
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it the right way

It will go
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm also about 5'4". I've gone my longest without a "break" since February. I was about 170 then and I'm about 135 now. The first 25-30 lbs came off a lot easier, it slowed down a lot once I got around 140 and now I'm only losing 2-3 lbs a month. Losing fat when you're already in a healthy weight range is a slow slow process. It takes a while, but better to spend that time working slowly towards your goals than doing nothing.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sonapadman wrote: »
    Hi SteamPug,

How long did it take you to lose 24lbs?

Heya. I’ve only lost 12 so far, with another 12 to go. Honestly, it took me 4/5 weeks to lose 12lbs - as I was not doing it in a healthy way. I’ve since upped my calories, eating a minimum of 1,200. It’s suddenly frustratingly slow - but I’m forcing myself to do it right. I estimate reaching my goal around April.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    There are people on here with a lot more experience than me. But I started with 18-20 lbs to lose on here a couple of times (blush, don't give up once you hit goal weight, not recommended!) so speaking up.

What @malibu927 said: food scale. Pick your database entries carefully. The less we have to lose, the fewer calories we aim for, the tighter and more accurate logging has to be.

How are you estimating calorie burns? As I understand it, strength training calorie burns are not large and can't be measured well with a heart rate monitor, if that's how you are doing it. Search the forums for info on that, there is good reading out there.

Good luck on your journey.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    wh0fp1ytyk3h.jpg
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ^ That is the one!
  • Sonapadman
    Options
    Thanks for the flowchart. I think I will just have to be patient and keep working hard!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sonapadman wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have been trying to lose weight for the past few weeks and no results!! I am doing adequate exercise and taking extra good care of my food intake. For eg- I run/brisk walk 4 kilometres in the morning and at least burn 300-400 calories in the evening with gym (strength+cardio). My diet is a yogurt(fat free) muesli breakfast in the morning, meal replacement shake (rapid loss) in the afternoon and a salad for dinner. I snack on some almonds and apples during the day and drink 8 glasses of water. Just checked my weight yesterday and to my surprise, I have put on another kilo. I am 5’ 4’ tall and weigh 132 pounds. Though I am well within the BMI, I aspire to lose at least 18 pounds. What am I doing wrong?? Feeling totally devastated!!

Keep going. You are also building muscle and it weighs more then fat. That could be part of it.
    so much nope
  • whit_peav
    whit_peav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating only 1200 calories?? Do you refeed? As we lose weight, our BMR naturally slows down and our overall calories burned throughout the day are lower. It sounds like your body is adapting to 1200 calories. Find a BMR calculator or go find someone at your gym who can figure it out. You should never eat below your BMR as this causes metabolic damage. 1200 is LOW. Especially for your height/weight/activity level. Honestly, if I were you, I would focus on eating whole, nutrient dense foods and slowly increasing calories. Lift heavy, build muscle (you’ll also gain fat), but once you repair your metabolism, you can cut back down again and shed the fat while revealing the muscle you’ve built. Our bodies should go through a cutting/bulking cycle until you’ve reached your desired physique. I destroyed my metabolism by eating 1200/day for about a year. It was awful. Instead of how much you weigh, focus on body recomposition. Lift heavy, eat well and you’re not likely to ever have a problem.