Supplements/pre-workout

If you use any supplements I was wondering what you use and what brand? Currently anything I take is Douglas Labs products however I’m not the biggest fan of the pre-workout. Any suggestions??

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I just have a cup of coffee. Ive tried pre workout and i get itchy and i dont like how it makes me feel
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    I felt like that with previous pre work outs but this is the first one I haven’t got that feeling but i feel like it doesn’t give me the push in my workout anymore.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    A lot of studies are coming to light now that supplements basically do bugger all, and the supplement industry is highly unregulated. If you don't need one, there's really no point wasting your money on them.
  • RacheLoko
    A lot of studies are coming to light now that supplements basically do bugger all, and the supplement industry is highly unregulated. If you don't need one, there's really no point wasting your money on them.

The only supplement I’m required to take is iron and when i first started taking the iron it was crazy how positively it impacted me. So I’ve just been exploring with supplements
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I used to use C4 and I liked it. I did feel an energy boost, but you can get that from any caffeine. I liked the C4 because it tasted pretty good and it made me drink extra water before hitting the gym. If you take too much, you get that itchy/burning feeling. I started with just 1 scoop mixed in a 16oz bottle, sipped over about 20 minutes.
  • This content has been removed.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    That itchy burny feeling is Beta Alanine. See Examine.com. C4/etc generally underdose it. The tingling tends to subside after 6-8 weeks.
  • RacheLoko
    That itchy burny feeling is Beta Alanine. See Examine.com. C4/etc generally underdose it. The tingling tends to subside after 6-8 weeks.

Oh ok. I’ve been using the same one for months. do you have a brand you use?
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    RacheLoko wrote: »
    If you use any supplements I was wondering what you use and what brand? Currently anything I take is Douglas Labs products however I’m not the biggest fan of the pre-workout. Any suggestions??

Supplements are a touchy subject for me, because when you look at the actual research outside of the magazines, blogs, and "gurus"; many of the advertised supplements don't do crap or at most have inconclusive results.

If you want something to support resistance-training performance, a couple proven ergogenic aids include, Caffeine, Creatine Monohydrate, and Beta-Alanine. Keep in-mind these are not needed by any means, but can help improve performance.

A lot of the pre-workout drinks get expensive, so read the labels, and it never hurts to verify certain substances with the actual research. And if you do the research, look at the quantity of the substance being researched versus the quantity provided in the supplement. The sheer presence of a substance doesn't matter if enough of it is not contained.
  • stanmann571

Oh ok. I’ve been using the same one for months. do you have a brand you use?

I've used a couple of bulk brands, I order from amazon. I've been happiest with the one in a white/green bag. It seems to have fewer clumps.

You'll need to provide your own scoop, and determine based on your own research how much you want to use(therapeutic level is 4-8 grams) I use about 5 g mixed in with L-Carnitine and some GNC Amino Energy for caffeine and flavor.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    I take turmeric curcumin for joint pain- works amazingly well...and magnesium 400 mg. I also drink tea- caffeinated and non-caffeinated on the regular. I have tried pre-workout...speed stack from American Body Building- which is like an already pre-mix looks kinda like gatoraide or poweraide. LOVED IT. Drank it before going on my long runs during the summer and whereas I would've usually run/walked 5km, I was able to majority run 10 km. My body LOVED the stuff- and NO CRASH afterwards. Also would drink Protein2o as a recovery drink. Both just 1/2 a bottle per run. I would advise though, check and see your own reaction to caffeine. My body seems to just love it as I don't crash afterwards, but I also try to keep the caffeination at a minimum as it affects my eye pressure (I have glaucoma).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Caffeine - because I need a kick in the butt most mornings
    Vitamin D - because we get about 3 minutes of sunshine this time of year
    Multivitamin - because my diet is horribly unbalanced and I want the insurance
    Whey - because it gives me more freedom with the rest of my calories
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2018
    Aside from a daily multi-vitamin I do not use any supplements.

They are, aside from using as a meal replacement or for convenience instead of "real food", complete nonsense and a waste of money.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    The problem is you’re looking for the next hyped brand. When what you should be doing in researching workout supplements on your own time. Then cross referencing them with dosages and results in independent not supplement company funded studies.

The fact that you were taking a substance that literally caused a burning itchy feeling under your skin and you never took the time to find out what it was *kitten* amazes me.

It’s called parasthesia, it’s the random firing of your nerve endings under your skin. A side effect of beta alanine. How did you know it wasn’t a severe reaction to a chemical in the pre workout and weren’t going to end up in the hospital?

If you want an extra kick in the butt. Drink 2 cups of coffee paired with a banana 35-45 minutes before your workout. ($50 says you disregard this because coffee and bananas don’t have flashy bright labels raving about how incredible they are)

Your body needs a stimulant(caffeine) and a fast digesting carb source(banana) in order to truly fuel a workout. Many pre workouts run off of the placebo effect more than anything. If you get knowledgeable enough, maybe you’ll be able to order in bulk and dose your own pre workouts.
  • RacheLoko
    jessef593 wrote: »
    The problem is you’re looking for the next hyped brand. When what you should be doing in researching workout supplements on your own time. Then cross referencing them with dosages and results in independent not supplement company funded studies.

The fact that you were taking a substance that literally caused a burning itchy feeling under your skin and you never took the time to find out what it was *kitten* amazes me.

It’s called parasthesia, it’s the random firing of your nerve endings under your skin. A side effect of beta alanine. How did you know it wasn’t a severe reaction to a chemical in the pre workout and weren’t going to end up in the hospital?

If you want an extra kick in the butt. Drink 2 cups of coffee paired with a banana 35-45 minutes before your workout. ($50 says you disregard this because coffee and bananas don’t have flashy bright labels raving about how incredible they are)

Your body needs a stimulant(caffeine) and a fast digesting carb source(banana) in order to truly fuel a workout. Many pre workouts run off of the placebo effect more than anything. If you get knowledgeable enough, maybe you’ll be able to order in bulk and dose your own pre workouts.

I have done a lot of research, the only thing I’ve liked is Douglas Labs, most reliable product and I get a good price. But the preworkout isnt agreeing with my body and I wanted to see what others took. BUUUT I know many people take supplements which could affect the preworkout which is why I added it in to my original post.

The preworkout gives me an ichy feeling WHICH lead me making this post to begin with
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I like the Amino Energy as well. It has BCAA's (which are basically worthless according to research), but the caffeine doesn't bother me (whereas coffee will often upset my stomach). And it tastes good and makes me drink more water. No itchy/burning sensations (a huge reason why I chose it).
  • stanmann571
    I like the Amino Energy as well. It has BCAA's (which are basically worthless according to research), but the caffeine doesn't bother me (whereas coffee will often upset my stomach). And it tastes good and makes me drink more water. No itchy/burning sensations (a huge reason why I chose it).

And most important it’s inexpensive
  • Anabolix - Freaked pre workout is AMAZING! It's pretty strong though, so start with just half a scoop your first time and see how you go :smile:
  • jessef593

I have done a lot of research, the only thing I’ve liked is Douglas Labs, most reliable product and I get a good price. But the preworkout isnt agreeing with my body and I wanted to see what others took. BUUUT I know many people take supplements which could affect the preworkout which is why I added it in to my original post.

The preworkout gives me an ichy feeling WHICH lead me making this post to begin with

You couldn’t have done too much research if you still refer to it as itchy feeling and didn’t know what was causing it.

Like I said. You owe me $50 now because I have you suggestions for a great pre workout but since it doesn’t have a flashy label you don’t want it
  • RacheLoko
    I mean honestly if you’re not going to be helpful you can *kitten* off. I did do my research i have the labels the the science facts on it, I DONT LIKE THE FEELING IT GIVES ME. Which is the point of taking it to give me a better workout. I don’t need a fancy *kitten* label i need something that give me the push for my workouts. I don’t even know anyone that uses the same brand i do.
    SO for the third time or so if youre not going to be helpful take yourself else where
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    I like the C4 line. I LOVE their Icy Blue Razz. BUT, the Cherry Limeade was on sale (2 for 1), so going to try that. It arrives Monday I think. I will let you know how that flavor compares to the scrumptious Icy Blue Razz. Also, if you ever get that insane itchy/tingling feeling...like another poster said, just take half or a third scoop to start with. Cheers to you and your fitness journey within the great year of 2018!
  • jessef593
    I offered something that would give you a push. Yet you disregarded it, despite my knowledge in this area and experience.

I’d suggest Gnosis Singularity but I bet you couldn’t find it nor would you “know” anyone that uses it.

You shouldn’t require a push in your workouts. Many of us work 10-12 hour days then crush our workouts using nothing other than food. If you’re too tired to finish workouts, maybe you need to get more rest, change your nutrition, or increase hydration. Maybe all three. You shouldn’t depend on chemicals to get through a workout. That’s the point I’m trying to get across.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Unless you are performing at an elite level you are not going to notice any difference in performance supplementation. At that point there is little difference between brands despite all the marketing noise to the contrary.

Even the classification "Supplement" means that the product is unable to confirm that it is effective.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Unless you are performing at an elite level you are not going to notice any difference in performance supplementation. At that point there is little difference between brands despite all the marketing noise to the contrary.

Even the classification "Supplement" means that the product is unable to confirm that it is effective.

That's not entirely untrue, which is why WADA exists and regulates what elite athletes can take and it's not limited to steroids or GH.

While I would lean more towards the side of anti-supplement myself, there are some supplements with supporting research that indicates a strong relationship between improved performance and that supplement (e.g. caffeine & creatine). With that being said, all brands are not equal either. Some brands may contain a supplement with proven benefit, yet provide a quantity that is less than what's required to achieve the desired effect. Some may even have too much and be unsafe. I saw something at GNC recently that had 400mg's of caffeine in a single serving. Guy behind the counter said he tried it and was having heart palpitations and was throwing-up; no *kitten* sherlock.
  • RacheLoko
    edited January 2018
    I offered something that would give you a push. Yet you disregarded it, despite my knowledge in this area and experience.

I’d suggest Gnosis Singularity but I bet you couldn’t find it nor would you “know” anyone that uses it.

You shouldn’t require a push in your workouts. Many of us work 10-12 hour days then crush our workouts using nothing other than food. If you’re too tired to finish workouts, maybe you need to get more rest, change your nutrition, or increase hydration. Maybe all three. You shouldn’t depend on chemicals to get through a workout. That’s the point I’m trying to get across.

I didn’t disregard you just weren’t being helpful.

I can also look I into that, you claimed I wanted the next big thing. No I wanted to compare what others use.

And I appreciate the advice. But I’m a medical student working two jobs and volunteering at a clinical site; I am tired, exhausted a lot of days but I still want to workout. So personally I do need the chemicals to workout.