Question to Short Girls ~100-130 lbs

dhk100
dhk100 Posts: 13 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
To girls who are 5'0-5'2:

Have you noticed a significant difference from when you were 115-125 to when you were 100-110 (maybe even less)? Were you 'smaller' overall? Did you see huge changes in body size, your arms, neck length, and things like that?

I'm 5'1-5'2 and my lowest weight has been ~115 (super long journey as I was overweight all my life) but I've binged back to 120-130. Actually, I might be in the high 120s atm. I'm going to check tomorrow because I'm a little scared haha.

I figured that I should be comfortable enough to call myself 'skinny' at the low 100s. But I wasn't small/skinny at all at 115 so I'm worried that I won't feel/look that way even if I exercise (cardio + toning through resistance training/muscle endurance programs) and diet my way to 100-110.

Replies

• Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    I’m 5’0 and arround 95lbs I have a very small bone structure and my weight genrallly falls somewhere from 95-98. Over the years my weight hasn’t changed much despite working out and eating a healthy diet. I had an eating disorder for a few years and even though my weight only dropped about 10lbs I looked way to skinny (looking back at pictures). It’s odd how body structure changes over the years. Before my ed I worked out a bit and was very lean at 95lbs. Now even though I’m at same weight I look much chubbier because I haven’t been working out very much this years. Would rather be toned and healthy then have my ed back.
  • dhk100
    I’m 5’0 and arround 95lbs I have a very small bone structure and my weight genrallly falls somewhere from 95-98. Over the years my weight hasn’t changed much despite working out and eating a healthy diet. I had an eating disorder for a few years and even though my weight only dropped about 10lbs I looked way to skinny (looking back at pictures). It’s odd how body structure changes over the years. Before my ed I worked out a bit and was very lean at 95lbs. Now even though I’m at same weight I look much chubbier because I haven’t been working out very much this years. Would rather be toned and healthy then have my ed back.

I see! So I guess the effects of toning are much more significant than I thought they were. I'm glad you were able to overcome the eating disorder though. Thank you for sharing :)
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    I'm 5'1, I weighed 105-110 at one point. Looking back at pictures, I was too thin. I looked awkward and unhealthy. I much prefer how I looked at 115-120.
  • dhk100
    edited January 2018
    I'm 5'1, I weighed 105-110 at one point. Looking back at pictures, I was too thin. I looked awkward and unhealthy. I much prefer how I looked at 115-120.

Interesting... I guess our body shapes (like body fat percentage and shape) differ a lot. Underneath my clothes, I still had a good amount fat everywhere so 115-120 doesn't work for me. It was/is also uncomfortable for me to wear short sleeve shirts 'cause my arms were/are thick. Even if I put some muscle on, I think I'll have to go down to ~105 to be somewhat satisfied. Worst case is ~100 with toning.

Thank you for sharing :D
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'm just under 5'2". I feel best at 100. Always have. And that was my weight through high school and most of my 20's. Once I'm over about 107 it starts to show on me. At 115 I look way different. I look overweight. I have always looked best anywhere between 98-102.

I'm also very small boned.

I've seen other women my height say they weigh way more and they look terrific. So I honestly don't know. I do think everyone's body is a little different. I am larger in the chest, so I also think that has something to do with it. I think smaller chested women look thinner with a little more weight on. I tend to gain in my boobs also if I put weight on and then I look even bigger.

The picture I posted is me around 100 for reference. I'm currently 114 and losing some weight.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    I'm 5'1.5" ( round up to 2) and agree with everyone that it's dependent on body shape and bone structure. I'm currently 142.5lb and I started at 175lb. I'm pear shaped, my upper is getting smaller everyday, I can see my ribs already but my hips/butt are very stubborn. I already look smaller. Personally the lowest I can go is probably 125-130lb and this is just to reduce the weight on my lower body. Anything lower than that I think that my organs in my upper body will be visible.
  • dhk100
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    I'm just under 5'2". I feel best at 100. Always have. And that was my weight through high school and most of my 20's. Once I'm over about 107 it starts to show on me. At 115 I look way different. I look overweight. I have always looked best anywhere between 98-102.

I'm also very small boned.

I've seen other women my height say they weigh way more and they look terrific. So I honestly don't know. I do think everyone's body is a little different. I am larger in the chest, so I also think that has something to do with it. I think smaller chested women look thinner with a little more weight on. I tend to gain in my boobs also if I put weight on and then I look even bigger.

The picture I posted is me around 100 for reference. I'm currently 114 and losing some weight.

Thank you for the reference! Your legs look great :) and it's relieving to know that you're comfortable with yourself at 100. Extra relieving because we're pretty much the same height and it seems at some vague number around 100, I'm a little more convinced that I'll be comfortable with my body fat.

I've been told that I didn't look 'overweight' at 115 but if I measured myself up behind actual skinny people, I could notice the difference in size (leg thickness/arm thickness/overall body width). And then there's also the fact that I still had extra fat on me lol so it's not simply psychological. My particular trait is that I have broad shoulders and a lot of fat in the shoulder/neck area so I'd need to lose a lot to lose all that fat at the top area.

Good luck with getting to your goal!
    I'm 5'1.5" ( round up to 2) and agree with everyone that it's dependent on body shape and bone structure. I'm currently 142.5lb and I started at 175lb. I'm pear shaped, my upper is getting smaller everyday, I can see my ribs already but my hips/butt are very stubborn. I already look smaller. Personally the lowest I can go is probably 125-130lb and this is just to reduce the weight on my lower body. Anything lower than that I think that my organs in my upper body will be visible.

First, congrats on your weight loss! And whew...your post further shows that everyone's body is so different Dx I personally would like to lose arm fat and neck/shoulder fat but they're the most tricky for my body.

I hope you feel comfortable at the 125-130 lb range when you get there!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I'm 5ft. At 90lbs I'm a bit small, but I prefer myself at 95lbs. ( I'm a few pounds heavier right now) I like the sharpness in my bone structure and I find the bones that are visible, really pretty. I lose my bust, but that really doesn't bother me as I'm not into larger breasts.

My body might not be to everyone's taste, but it's my body and I'm not trying to please everyone.
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    I am 5'1 and at my smallest I was wearing size one/ zero but still weighed 118 at that time. Currently my goal weight is to be at 130-133 but I still feel like I look pretty good at 142, where I am now. Maybe I carry my weight differently but I do feel a bit insecure when I see that women who are much taller than me are trying to get to 130.
  • dhk100
    I'm 5ft. At 90lbs I'm a bit small, but I prefer myself at 95lbs. ( I'm a few pounds heavier right now) I like the sharpness in my bone structure and I find the bones that are visible, really pretty. I lose my bust, but that really doesn't bother me as I'm not into larger breasts.

My body might not be to everyone's taste, but it's my body and I'm not trying to please everyone.

Ahaha, indeed. The 90-110 lb range seems healthy for your height, especially if you have a small build, so I wouldn't worry about what other people have to say. I like the confidence/strength your last sentence exudes!
    nvasquez41 wrote: »
    I am 5'1 and at my smallest I was wearing size one/ zero but still weighed 118 at that time. Currently my goal weight is to be at 130-133 but I still feel like I look pretty good at 142, where I am now. Maybe I carry my weight differently but I do feel a bit insecure when I see that women who are much taller than me are trying to get to 130.

Hey, I understand what you mean by feeling insecure about (much) taller people having the same or lower goal weight. I've seen 5'7 women who want to be 110 or 120, and that has made me consider lowering my goal weight more sometimes lol. But it's better to not think about posts like that. You've said it yourself that you might carry your weight differently and that you feel good at your current weight (which is awesome!). People look different at different numbers and it's really all about body fat percentage, as we've seen here from all the posts. The people with similar or lower goal weights than you might have to get down to that weight to be satisfied with their proportions and stuff like that.

In short, don't let numbers discourage you because they don't mean everything. The most important thing is feeling good about yourself!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Think about your muscular build too. If you have a good muscular build, you might weigh more but look tighter/leaner. I'm 5 foot 9, so quite a bit taller, but I weigh 135lbs and look leaner now than I did when I was 125lbs because I bulked and then cut back down. The number on the scale is a good way to measure weight loss, but it won't show you body composition, which is more important for aesthetics. So, the number that you liked before might not be right anymore if you muscle to fat ratio has changed too.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I’m 5’1” and I think I look very different at 105 than at 115. I much prefer myself at 105, and am working on making my way back there. About 5lbs left to lose. Being so short, 5-10 lbs makes a big difference and is very visible, IMO.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I'm 5'1" but a larger frame and look best between 118-120. My profile pic was at around 120 but I'm 127 now after eating at maintenance and working out 5-7 days a week. I think I look better at 120 or below but was as small as 105 when I was in college and looked very thin. I too feel as if I should be losing when I see or hear much taller women who have my current weight as their goal weight. However to lose I basically have to eat 1200 and not eat back exercise calories, which is a struggle.
  • darlibby
    darlibby Posts: 37 Member
    I’m 5 feet even and weigh about 98 lbs currently. The heaviest I’ve been is 130 and 98 is the smallest I’ve been.

Most recently, I went from 113 to 98. This was SIGNIFICANT even though it was only 15 lbs. I wear things I’ve never worn before and others notice my weight loss as well. I am apple shaped and carry a lot of my weight on my top half; my face is now thinner. I have a very small frame. I did not look good at 130s or even 120s. 113 was okay, but still had a fairly large stomach at that size. 98 is good for me, no ribs or bones show, I don’t look too thin and still carry a little extra fat on my arms and stomach. No biggie though.
  • Fatimahasnain
    Fatimahasnain Posts: 91 Member
    I weighed 110 lbs in 2014-15 n I looked thin now I m 120-125 lbs ( varries) n I don't look smart :neutral: .. height 5'1".. really want to lose these last 10lbs.. need motivation.. :smile:
  • cameramom21
    cameramom21 Posts: 4 Member
    Not new to MFP but new to the community! I'm 35, 5'0 and approximately 123 pounds. The lowest weight I have been as an adult was 102 pounds three years ago. I had been over 120 then but lost more than twenty pounds in one month due to life issues at the time. Not recommended. I've gained all the weight back in the last three years and I'm trying to lose it the healthy way this time. I look back at pictures from when I was 102 and for me I looked way too thin. My body looked good (dang...miss that body) but my face was way too bony and just didn't look like...me. I felt the most comfortable and think I looked my best at about 108 - 110 so getting back to that is my goal right now. The difference between where I am right now and getting back to 108-110:

-actual cheekbones
    -no love handles
    -smaller arms
    -thinner legs

The strange thing though is my pants size doesn't change. Whether I'm 110 or 123, my pants size seems to stay the same but my tops get tighter as the weight comes back.