mozzarella cheese: any recipes?

Options
CatarinaF
CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
Hi!

i really like this mozzarella cheese you can find at sainsbury's (222 cal.), and i usually eat it with salad (lettuce, watercress, tomato, dill, balsamic and herbs)

but with this cold weather, i don't really feel like eating salads... :noway:
do you have any recipes with mozzarella (around 400 cal) or simply any ideas to use mozzarella in warm comfortable food?
i seriously lack imagination these days...:embarassed:

thanks !!
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CatarinaF
    CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi!

i really like this mozzarella cheese you can find at sainsbury's (222 cal.), and i usually eat it with salad (lettuce, watercress, tomato, dill, balsamic and herbs)

but with this cold weather, i don't really feel like eating salads... :noway:
    do you have any recipes with mozzarella (around 400 cal) or simply any ideas to use mozzarella in warm comfortable food?
    i seriously lack imagination these days...:embarassed:

thanks !!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am assuming this is shredded cheese? Helps me think of ideas.... I know what you mean about not wanting cold salads in cold weather!

Make your own pizza - you can use english muffins or tortillas for the crust! Grilled cheese or quesadillas!
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    I love parmeggiano: layered eggplant, tomato sauce (home made from canned tomatoes with herbs, union, garlic, etc), and mozzarella in the oven. Shouldn't be much more than 400 cals if prepared with low fat cheese.
  • ergodoc
    Options
    If you go to allrecipes.com and use the advanced search, then select low calorie, you can enter mozzarella as an ingredient to search for. It comes up with several good recipes and lists the calories to the side.
  • Dytari
    Dytari Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My husband loves mozzarella, more than me but here's a few things you can play around with.

Pizza
    Find a low calories base of your choice, I like a pita pocket split down the middle for crispy crunch. Then I measure out what ever Italian tomato sauce I have on hand, cheese, then veg. The total cals vary depend on what I have available. (bake 350 till cheese in melted)

Chicken Parmesan
    I usually use precooked frozen chicken (of you choice). Measure out the amount you want, microwave it. and then place in a small oven safe container, measure out some italian season tomato sauce, mozzarella nad parmesan and once agin bake till cheese it melted.

calories vary on quantity and products used
  • mommachag
    Options
    I buy the balls. one slice under a cup of spinach. i wilt the spinach on the cheese in the microwave. i will add eaither chopped eggs, tuna or chicken. its warm, yummy, and it has cheese!:bigsmile:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    i'm not great at cooking, so here is something quite simple even i can prepare :bigsmile:

mozzarella about 10oz
    4 red tomatos (average size)
    a bunch of fresh basil (i use dry one in winter)
    oil

Cut the tomato in slices, put a slice of mozzarella over each of the tomato slices and add some basil on top. Bake in an oiled tray at 350F for 10 minutes.

This is the original recipe and it's about 850cal for 2, so just use a smaller tray and half the products if you only cook for yourself.

ps: i have no idea what kind of mozzarella with 222cal you mean, if it's some low fat kind, then the calories of the recipe are less than my calculation