Fellow Half Marathoners!?

Options
Brant904
Brant904 Posts: 31 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Running my first half in March - I’m extremely excited and ready to crush it. I’ve been training for about 2 months now and have gotten up to 6 miles.

I’m doing a mix of running and lifting - so I was just seeing if there were fellow first time runners that wanted to connect or any one for that matter. Feel free to drop me a FR or a word of advice, anything!

Wanting to keep the motivation going now that I’ve had to move the training indoors! Happy New Year all!

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Come into the Challenges forum and find the thread January 2018 Running Challenge. Lots of runners in there.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Why indoors? Winter isn't that bad is it?

You're already at 6 miles you will have no problem crushing 13.1!!!

Good luck.
  • Brant904
    Options
    Come into the Challenges forum and find the thread January 2018 Running Challenge. Lots of runners in there.

Awesome thank you!
  • Brant904
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Good luck.

Just got back from KC where the windchill was in the negatives. Cold isn’t that bad but I had to draw a line in the snow, if you must.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good on you for keeping it up indoors. I've run four half marathons so far and I don't think I'd do it if I had to train inside. I'd rather run in the snow.

You probably don't need fuel yet if your long run is 6 miles, but as your long runs get longer, you'll want to start thinking about what you'll eat during your race, and training with that fuel. It's important to figure out what your stomach can handle before race day. I ran my first half with raisins (which were delicious and I somehow managed to not choke myself), but now I prefer energy chews. Gu is a popular choice and is often available at aid stations if you don't want to carry your own, but check to see what your race offers.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You probably don't need fuel yet if your long run is 6 miles, but as your long runs get longer, you'll want to start thinking about what you'll eat during your race, and training with that fuel. It's important to figure out what your stomach can handle before race day. I ran my first half with raisins (which were delicious and I somehow managed to not choke myself), but now I prefer energy chews. Gu is a popular choice and is often available at aid stations if you don't want to carry your own, but check to see what your race offers.

I guess it depends on what time you think you're likely to do, and you'll learn your preferences on your own as your mileage increases, but plenty of people don't bother with fuel during half marathons. I find if I'm adequately hydrated and it's cool weather I don't even need water. But then there are people who take gels on a 10k so everyone's different.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I guess it depends on what time you think you're likely to do, and you'll learn your preferences on your own as your mileage increases, but plenty of people don't bother with fuel during half marathons. I find if I'm adequately hydrated and it's cool weather I don't even need water. But then there are people who take gels on a 10k so everyone's different.

I didn't fuel my first half, but these days I have a salted caramel GU or 2 for runs over 10 miles. they're delicious!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

I didn't fuel my first half, but these days I have a salted caramel GU or 2 for runs over 10 miles. they're delicious!

Oh salted caramel gus are the only fuel I can stomach. They are the absolute best (but I still don't have them for anything shorter than 32km cos I really really hate having anything other than water while running)
  • emele613
    emele613 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats! I've done 2 halves, a full, and a hand full of 5ks and 10ks and honestly my advice would be to enjoy yourself and have fun!! (As dumb as that sounds!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Brant904 wrote: »
    Running my first half in March - I’m extremely excited and ready to crush it. I’ve been training for about 2 months now and have gotten up to 6 miles.

I’m doing a mix of running and lifting - so I was just seeing if there were fellow first time runners that wanted to connect or any one for that matter. Feel free to drop me a FR or a word of advice, anything!

Wanting to keep the motivation going now that I’ve had to move the training indoors! Happy New Year all!

This is so awesome. I am currently training for 1/2 in March as well, this will be my 3rd year running this particular 1/2.

I actually live in a warmer climate in the US and December has quite cold with lots of rain and very windy days; an example of a serious cold snap is this morning it is 15 degrees, yikes.

I have taken my training indoors as well, not optimal but I can log necessary running miles until it warms up. Our running stores do not carry running gear ideal for running in frigid weather, so I have purchased some gear online so I can work with colder weather in case its still quite cold for the start of the race.

Enjoy the training process in getting to your race and good luck with race day!!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Which half are you doing? Depending on where it is, you might reconsider running outdoors in the cold. For my first couple of years of running, I didn't run outdoors if it was below freezing. Then I ran our local half which is in early March. Daytime highs at that time of year are in the low to mid 30s, so I wasn't too worried. However at 8:00 on race day, the temperature was 17 degrees. I had never run in temps that cold and had no idea what to wear or what it would feel like. I survived, obviously, but it taught me a lesson about how important it is to run in all conditions, especially for the shoulder season races where weather can be very uncertain. I'm still bad about going out in the rain or if it's icy, but I don't usually let cold or heat stop me.
  • Brant904
    Options
    Which half are you doing? Depending on where it is, you might reconsider running outdoors in the cold. For my first couple of years of running, I didn't run outdoors if it was below freezing. Then I ran our local half which is in early March. Daytime highs at that time of year are in the low to mid 30s, so I wasn't too worried. However at 8:00 on race day, the temperature was 17 degrees. I had never run in temps that cold and had no idea what to wear or what it would feel like. I survived, obviously, but it taught me a lesson about how important it is to run in all conditions, especially for the shoulder season races where weather can be very uncertain. I'm still bad about going out in the rain or if it's icy, but I don't usually let cold or heat stop me.

That’s a great idea. I am keeping my weekend runs outside during the day, it’s a little harder with the week day schedule!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It's -13 out there today. I feel no shame about using the treadmill. I have an early April race that I always say "never again" because it is never above 30 degrees. It is not so bad while you're running, but the standing around for an hour in the corrals because you took the train and the timing is not optimal for this. I am on the fence about a 5k and Half Marathon in March - I ran the Half last year, and it was 40 degrees - perfection. But I'm Very Concerned about the weather. I have until the 10th before the price increases. I don't know how bad I want those Pint glasses.

I will probably not do any training for those races outdoors. Unless you count the 5k and Half as training for the 8k in April. I actually love my treadmill.

That 8k - last year, some people finally let me in on a secret. If you buy some warm loose stuff to wear over your race gear in the corral from the thrift store, you don't have to feel bad abandoning it at the starting line. Then you can be warm until you start generating your own heat. This particular race has collection boxes for that very purpose - they donate the cast-offs back to Goodwill, or something.

I've been trying to get into an earlier wave of the race since the first year I ran it. Last year, they finally announced that the cutoff for Wave 1 is a 9:30 mile, and I ran 9:15's. That's a half hour less standing around before racetime, and I should be done in plenty of time to enjoy my beer whilst still catching an earlier train home. I'm pretty excited about those things, since this year is so much colder than usual, and I am dreading the weather already.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'd love to connect with you! I am doing my first half in April. I'm at around 5 miles right now, but have slowed down on my training and probably won't pick it back up until the end of January (getting married January 20th, and then the honeymoon is that next week. I don't know that I'll be able to get myself to train at the beach). Good luck on your half!
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    And I actually live in KC, so I understand the desire to train indoors with this weather. Haha
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned earlier about nutrition during race. Make sure to eat something an hour or so before race. My pre race meal is bagel with peanut butter. Make the night before at home, take to corral in morning.

1/2's are fun
    If you enjoy look for a 26.2 in fall, you are have trained so keep it up
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned earlier about nutrition during race. Make sure to eat something an hour or so before race. My pre race meal is bagel with peanut butter. Make the night before at home, take to corral in morning.

1/2's are fun
    If you enjoy look for a 26.2 in fall, you are have trained so keep it up

Or eat the same as you've eaten in training. That might be a bagel an hour before before, or it might not.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Brant904 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

Good luck.

Just got back from KC where the windchill was in the negatives. Cold isn’t that bad but I had to draw a line in the snow, if you must.

Not trying to sound like a crazy person, but I've been running outside for the last 4 weeks up here in Toronto where the non wind chill temps are around minus 14 and often lower. Give it a try and you may just surprise yourself. If you cover your ears and neck and layer up winter running is surprisingly invigorating, especially first thing in the AM.