New Year's Resolution - 1 year on

Options
aemsley05
aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
Like many people, I started out 2017 determined to lose weight. Today marks 1 year since the day I started logging my food and exercising. We all know that resolutions often fall by the wayside when "normal life" kicks in later in January, so I wanted to share my story to show that, if you stick with it, you too can achieve your goals, lose weight and improve your fitness.

I'd always been overweight growing up. I come from a family of runners and, as the middle child who just had to be different, my "thing" was that I was the one who didn't run. All my hobbies were sedentary and, despite the great example of my mum's healthy home cooking, I ate pretty badly once I left home.

I'd lost weight a few years ago and finally got down to a healthy weight for my height but then gave up on exercise and went back to pizza and wine. By the end of 2016 I was uncomfortable, unable to sleep due to stomach pains, and felt like I was trapped under my layers of fat.

So what did I do about it?

I started out "running" - just short distances and stopping to walk often. Slowly I built up my distance and my pace. I started going to the gym across from my work at lunchtimes for 20 and then 30 minutes of cardio, which also helped to reduce stress and increase my focus at work.

I logged my food every day and learned how to log better - finding correct entries to use, weighing everything and using the recipe tool for homemade meals. I cut down on carbs because I didn't find them sufficiently filling for the calories, but otherwise largely ate whatever I wanted. My boyfriend loves fast food, so we were ate McDonalds, KFC, Domino's etc. every week. I learned to find the nutritional information online and to make sensible choices that fit my goals, without giving up the food I enjoyed.

I discovered the MFP forums and learned a lot about exercise and nutrition. I found motivation and support from reading the stories of others and seeing their successes. I joined in challenges and made friends, plus started resistance training and saw my body shape change and improve.

By the end of April I'd hit my original goal weight - just into the normal weight BMI category for my height. I'm 5'9" and started out at around 90kg/198lb, hitting 75kg/165lb in April. I decided that it wasn't enough to be "just" under overweight, so set a new goal for the middle of the normal weight BMI range at 65kg/143lb. I hit that at the beginning of September and have been maintaining my weight around there since then.

Losing weight and improving my fitness has transformed my life. I am happier, less stressed and less moody. I have more energy and am more active. I am closer to my family and share my exercise successes with them. Through my local parkrun I have met new people and have become part of the local community, as well as improving my 5k PB.

So if you're starting out just now and wondering if you can really do it, I say yes you can. Losing weight is simple (eat less, move more) but it's not easy. You need determination to keep going until your new lifestyle changes become habits. You need to find out what works for you so that any changes you make are sustainable for your life. You need to be able to pick yourself up after a bad day and keep going. You need to weather the tough stuff, because it is worth it in the end. Good luck: you can do this!

New Year's Eve selfies, 2016 vs 2017
tbtcid75ii4d.jpg

Christmas 2016 vs November 2017
rx3p2nnuzrt0.jpg

Starting out 2018 right at my local parkrun
2ic8bbvr89rv.jpg

Replies

• jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wowwww. Awesome. Wow. I am 5 9 too though starting out at 107kgs this year too. Thanks for inspiring
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! You rock!
  • Lusanda38
    Lusanda38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for sharing your story with us...I’m starting out my journey, again, and your story is a great motivation.
  • leannes1990
    leannes1990 Posts: 0 Member
    Options
    Congratulations thanks for sharing!
  • vkmango4
    vkmango4 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You look great. Well done!
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Amazing work and you look great. Thank you for sharing
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That's really inspirational, go you!
  • JEMQuilter
    JEMQuilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job--sounds like you did all the right things. I'm sure you feel great. You look wonderful, too.
  • aeb6551
    aeb6551 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great story, very well written. Congratulations & thanks for sharing!
  • rhames510
    rhames510 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done! Great story.. truly inspiring x
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    LatoriaMcAdoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    Like many people, I started out 2017 determined to lose weight. Today marks 1 year since the day I started logging my food and exercising. We all know that resolutions often fall by the wayside when "normal life" kicks in later in January, so I wanted to share my story to show that, if you stick with it, you too can achieve your goals, lose weight and improve your fitness.

I'd always been overweight growing up. I come from a family of runners and, as the middle child who just had to be different, my "thing" was that I was the one who didn't run. All my hobbies were sedentary and, despite the great example of my mum's healthy home cooking, I ate pretty badly once I left home.

I'd lost weight a few years ago and finally got down to a healthy weight for my height but then gave up on exercise and went back to pizza and wine. By the end of 2016 I was uncomfortable, unable to sleep due to stomach pains, and felt like I was trapped under my layers of fat.

So what did I do about it?

I started out "running" - just short distances and stopping to walk often. Slowly I built up my distance and my pace. I started going to the gym across from my work at lunchtimes for 20 and then 30 minutes of cardio, which also helped to reduce stress and increase my focus at work.

I logged my food every day and learned how to log better - finding correct entries to use, weighing everything and using the recipe tool for homemade meals. I cut down on carbs because I didn't find them sufficiently filling for the calories, but otherwise largely ate whatever I wanted. My boyfriend loves fast food, so we were ate McDonalds, KFC, Domino's etc. every week. I learned to find the nutritional information online and to make sensible choices that fit my goals, without giving up the food I enjoyed.

I discovered the MFP forums and learned a lot about exercise and nutrition. I found motivation and support from reading the stories of others and seeing their successes. I joined in challenges and made friends, plus started resistance training and saw my body shape change and improve.

By the end of April I'd hit my original goal weight - just into the normal weight BMI category for my height. I'm 5'9" and started out at around 90kg/198lb, hitting 75kg/165lb in April. I decided that it wasn't enough to be "just" under overweight, so set a new goal for the middle of the normal weight BMI range at 65kg/143lb. I hit that at the beginning of September and have been maintaining my weight around there since then.

Losing weight and improving my fitness has transformed my life. I am happier, less stressed and less moody. I have more energy and am more active. I am closer to my family and share my exercise successes with them. Through my local parkrun I have met new people and have become part of the local community, as well as improving my 5k PB.

So if you're starting out just now and wondering if you can really do it, I say yes you can. Losing weight is simple (eat less, move more) but it's not easy. You need determination to keep going until your new lifestyle changes become habits. You need to find out what works for you so that any changes you make are sustainable for your life. You need to be able to pick yourself up after a bad day and keep going. You need to weather the tough stuff, because it is worth it in the end. Good luck: you can do this!

New Year's Eve selfies, 2016 vs 2017
    tbtcid75ii4d.jpg

Christmas 2016 vs November 2017
    rx3p2nnuzrt0.jpg

Starting out 2018 right at my local parkrun
    2ic8bbvr89rv.jpg

@aemsley05 you look so great I hope to be able to do this I said last year by 2018 I would be at my goal weight but I’m not but this year I’m determined I’ve been logging in each day and exercising everyday I go to gym after work everyday since the 1st and I’m proud of myself you give me motivation thank you
  • Kothe1017
    Kothe1017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You glow girl!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!