need recipe for tomato sauce

Options
mandahq
mandahq Posts: 88 Member
I know this sounds kinda silly but Ive never made tomato sauce before and I cant afford all the sodium in store bought tomato sauce..... Can anyone help?

Replies

• armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook has an excellent marinara sauce recipe! I don't know it all off the top of my head, but you can probably google it!
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    google it!!! that is where I found the one I am using when I can my tomatos!!!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bump for more ideas but this is what I do:

I use Hunts' tomato sauce "No salt added"
    S&W ready cut tomatoes "No salt added"
    Lawry's Spaghetti Sauce spices & seasoning - there is a bunch of salt in the pkg so I use just enough to season.
    Fresh onions and garlic if you like them.

I also add ground lean beef or turkey burger.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can't give you exact proportions, because I kinda just do this to taste. It is incredible, however!!! You will need:

Herbs - basil (lots), oregano, thyme, fennel, garlic, parsley, whatever else floats your boat

Carrots, zuchinni and onion grated finely. (I usually use 2 carrots, a zuchinni and an onion)

tomato paste, puree, fresh tomatoes, whatever.

sautee dry herbs, garlic, and grated veggies in a little olive oil for a few minutes. Start off with the herbs, (fresh fennel if you have it), then add the veggies. Don't worry about cooking them down, that happens once the tomato sauce is in.

add the tomato sauce, and let simmer for a few hours -- you want the shredded veggies so thoroughly cooked down you don't even know they are there anymore. The carrot adds a nice sweet flavor without any sugar, and the zuchinni gives a nice light texture. Add any fresh herbs when you are almost done cooking. You will probably have to add more water many times while it is simmering.

This is seriously fantastic pasta sauce. Everyone loves it, and no one ever knows the veggies are there. It is especially good in veggies lasagna.
  • mandahq
    Options
    I can't give you exact proportions, because I kinda just do this to taste. It is incredible, however!!! You will need:

Herbs - basil (lots), oregano, thyme, fennel, garlic, parsley, whatever else floats your boat

Carrots, zuchinni and onion grated finely. (I usually use 2 carrots, a zuchinni and an onion)

tomato paste, puree, fresh tomatoes, whatever.

sautee dry herbs, garlic, and grated veggies in a little olive oil for a few minutes. Start off with the herbs, (fresh fennel if you have it), then add the veggies. Don't worry about cooking them down, that happens once the tomato sauce is in.

add the tomato sauce, and let simmer for a few hours -- you want the shredded veggies so thoroughly cooked down you don't even know they are there anymore. The carrot adds a nice sweet flavor without any sugar, and the zuchinni gives a nice light texture. Add any fresh herbs when you are almost done cooking. You will probably have to add more water many times while it is simmering.

This is seriously fantastic pasta sauce. Everyone loves it, and no one ever knows the veggies are there. It is especially good in veggies lasagna.

Ooooo That sounds really good.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bump!
  • mandahq
    Options
    So from looking at your suggestions, I just made my tomato sauce. Here's what I used

1 medium zucchini
    1 medium cucumber
    2 Tbsp Garlic powder
    2 tbsp Onion powder
    3 cups shredded carrots
    4 cans (each can has 3 cups) Primo Crushed Tomatos

makes about 17 cups
    per cup =
    calories 118
    carbs 23
    fat 0
    protein 5
    fiber 7
    sodium 65

I actually added the rest of the tomato sauce that was in my fridge so my sodium is almost twice that but its still good.