Baby weight needs to go away!!

Options
JaylanT
JaylanT Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I had a baby 5 months ago. I used to be 145lbs and I am now 216lbs basically I would like to be 160lbs however it is hard to come to terms with such a drastic body change... is there any tips and ideas that anyone can offer. I would like to lose the abdominal fat and loose skin... qu3mg0nsclfv.jpg

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Honestly, excess skin doesn't make weight loss harder, unless I am misunderstanding that. Are you saying it's hard to deal with now having the sagging skin? I get that. Totally. It is hard to come to terms with.

Do you have a plan? Have you input your data in MFP to determine how many calories you need to eat?

Congratulations on your new baby. :)
  • JaylanT
    Options
    Lol so sorry for the miscommunication just edited the post... Yes I inputted my information but it is telling me to consume 1600 calories I feel that it is too much... it is harder to deal with since I never had that problem to begin with
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's too much. I started out at nearly 1600 per MFP and am probably much older than you (I was 48 at the time) and I think I was set to sedentary, and I lost weight.

Try it, see what happens.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    5 months isn't that long ago... for me it was probably a year before my body resembled anything close to my pre pregnancy shape. I still have some lose skin but it's a combination of both fat and loose skin.. when I get to my goal weight I'll know for sure what is loose skin. Drinking lots of water and bone broths helps but ultimately your body needs time after having a baby. Best of luck :)
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also had a baby 5 months ago and I'm in the same boat.
    Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’ve had 3 babies and it can take up to a year for skin to shrink back some but know that it won’t be exactly the same as it was pre pregnancy. Your body did an amazing thing by growing and birthing your Baby so love it for that. It took 9 months to grow the baby so it won’t be overnight to change it. 1600 seems like a good starting point. Start doing some weights and especially core work to help get back the core that got stretched out and weakened during pregnancy.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    At 5'5 and 170, MFP had me eating a little over 1700 and I was losing. Trust the system and get to work!
  • Otterlover81
    Otterlover81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Had my baby 3 months ago and am at my biggest weight ever of 226lbs (am also 5'9")! Am looking for motivation and new friends with similar situations to slim back down.
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby! I have an 8 month old and am also on the path to getting my body back.

One thing I'll ask since it hasn't been addressed yet is, are you breastfeeding? If so, you really need to take weight loss slow and eat more (about 300-500 calories) and shouldn't lose more than 1 pound a week. If you're not, you can ignore that advice.

Everyone above is correct, it takes time both for skin to shrink back and to get used to your new body. You'll lose the weight eventually as long as you stick with a calorie deficit, but your body probably won't look exactly like it did before.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It took me getting down to my goal weight to get my stomach flat after my kids. I just calorie counted on MFP and worked out at home during nap and bedtimes. Follow MFP's recommendation, and if you're not seeing results after a few weeks adjust it down a little bit until you find the amount that works for you. Good luck! :)
  • Itfiguresx
    Itfiguresx Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Im in the same boat. Currently 235lbs. My daughter is 6 months old now. I also have PCOS. Starting to do low carb high protein to tackle the insulin resustance, part of the pcos. Im going for the first swim in a year and half tomorrow. God help me, i feel like a whale. But i have and will loose weight again. My calorie goal is 1600 and its just right.

Starting too low in calories gives your intake no wiggle room when your body becomes used to your intake. I would stick with the 1700 and get working out, and strength training. Give it a few months you should change it up. Have a day 1800 then one 1400. You will get there trust it. Also starting too low would trick your body into thinking it is being severely starved, resulting on clinging onto any calories you put in. This also stalls weight loss. Sometimes eating more means loosing more. Have faith give it a go. Lets get rid of these mummy tummys! Xxx feel free to add me
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Also starting too low would trick your body into thinking it is being severely starved, resulting on clinging onto any calories you put in. This also stalls weight loss. Sometimes eating more means loosing more.

I'm sorry, but this statement is woefully inaccurate. Eating more calories than what your body requires leads to weight gain. Eating fewer calories than what your body needs leads to loss. It's called CICO.
    If our bodies "clung" to calories as you claim here, there'd be no starvation in the world (either in history or presently) because our bodies would magically prevent it. We know that this simply is not true because millions of people have starved or been starved to death. Likewise, if we apply this logic in the inverse, there'd also be no overweight or obesity problem because people would be able to eat more because this would then encourage weight loss. It just doesn't happen that way.

OP, Are you breastfeeding? If so, you'll need to take that into account when you calculate how many calories you need. Like you, I'm 5.5 months postpartum (second child). I'm still breastfeeding, and I had to closely track my calories on MFP and figure out how I could maintain my supply and use breastfeeding to create the deficit for weight loss. It took some tweaking, but I found that I was able to lose about .5-1 lb. per week (on average) while consuming about 1900-2200 calories per day (I'm 5'9", 153 lbs., and I work out almost every day). To give you an idea of what this looks like, my BMR is 1400 calories, but I'm fairly active and so my TDEE is usually about 2000-2200 per day, depending on the intensity and duration of my exercise. Since I'm breastfeeding I eat back my exercise calories. As of this week, I'm basically "back to normal" and within 3 lb. of my pre-pregnancy weight and haven't had any supply issues, though I did with my first child. You can do this!

• JaylanT
    Options
    I am not breastfeeding... I am working out everyday for an hour high intensity workouts. For example, I take classes at the gym, I also take kickboxing classes, and workout on my own.. I also just got a personal trainer so I can figure out some workouts to lead up to my goal. I want to be at least 160 pounds by August! Once I get there I would like to drop to 145lbs at my pre pregnancy weight. I would love for anyone in my situation to add me and let's work together ladies! We can do it! I feel so much more motivated now! A week in fitness about 7 more months to go!