Pre Workout!

Options
Hello lovely people! Wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good pre workout options! There are so many and I’m unsure what is best! Thank you in advance ❤️

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Everyone responds differently to the stims in pre-workouts, so ultimately you'll just have to try a few and see what you like or don't like.

Caffeine is the most tested/proven stim, and probably the only one I'd really recommend. I've tried a bunch of pre-workouts and gotten to the point where the only thing that matters/benefits me is some caffeine and a bit of determination.

Sugar/cals are under-appreciated. Some toast with jelly, or fruit, or M&Ms or gummy bears or rice crispy treats... all good pre-workouts/energy "shots".
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Coffee, Black.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Everyone responds differently to the stims in pre-workouts, so ultimately you'll just have to try a few and see what you like or don't like.

Caffeine is the most tested/proven stim, and probably the only one I'd really recommend. I've tried a bunch of pre-workouts and gotten to the point where the only thing that matters/benefits me is some caffeine and a bit of determination.

Sugar/cals are under-appreciated. Some toast with jelly, or fruit, or M&Ms or gummy bears or rice crispy treats... all good pre-workouts/energy "shots".

Good words^^

I personally don't like PWOs. I usually just have a Monster Ultra Zero in the afternoon before I hit the gym.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty boring.. I just use espresso and candy
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I personally use C4 and I like it. I prefer the flavour options as I'm not a huge coffee fan, and I find that it works well for me.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just drink coffee
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like 1/2 scoop of Vortex 1MR in a cup or two of water. It gives me a kick in the pants without making feel jittery or tingly.
  • FrankenGene
    FrankenGene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pre-work smoothie: Whey Powder 1/4 C, Banana-132g, Almond Milk-12oz. Sweetener if needed - Pyura.
    Good Luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip: don't drink a lot of coffee on squat or deadlift days.

That said, yeah. Caffeine (tea on sq/dl days for me, as tea doesn't effect me quite the same as coffee), maybe a protein bar 90 minutes or so before (especially on the weekend, where I'd otherwise be lifting fasted), and a couple of lifesavers on the way to the gym.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    coffee.

without the coffee, im not going anywhere or doing anything lol

seriously though - i eat AFTER i work out. i want the food far more THEN , than before.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of coffee in a day plus take other stims. I normally don't take pre workouts. However I have taken carnabolic pre work out and have just started Pre4 to see how it goes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My option is no PWO.
    Never seen the point let alone a need...
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Black coffee and bcaas intra workout
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I began making my own about a year ago.

The dosages in most mass market PWOs, In my opinion, were wrong or at least didn't apply to me and the fillers gave me headaches. My own way is also a touch cheaper. So I buy Bulk, usually from amazon and mix one up when ready go. 5G creatine, 5G Beta Alanine, 8G L-Citrulline DL-Malate 2:1 and 200mg Caffeine plus a squirt of zero cal water enhancer from walmart (usually blue ras) as that is all very bitter without.

Do note that the creatine and beta alanine can be taken at any time as its a saturation point type supplement but its just the most convenient time to remember to take it. Non training days I skip the CM and Caffeine (maybe)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I began making my own about a year ago.

The dosages in most mass market PWOs, In my opinion, were wrong or at least didn't apply to me and the fillers gave me headaches. My own way is also a touch cheaper. So I buy Bulk, usually from amazon and mix one up when ready go. 5G creatine, 5G Beta Alanine, 8G L-Citrulline DL-Malate 2:1 and 200mg Caffeine plus a squirt of zero cal water enhancer from walmart (usually blue ras) as that is all very bitter without.

Do note that the creatine and beta alanine can be taken at any time as its a saturation point type supplement but its just the most convenient time to remember to take it. Non training days I skip the CM and Caffeine (maybe)

^^^^This!. The MIO aggravates my reflux, so I use the GNC Amino energy for flavor and caffeine.
  • Debra_LMB
    Debra_LMB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    High-Protein before exercise is important. Also, I have been doing a very low-impact warm-up that is very simple, but effective. You stand about arms length from a wall, leaving your feet in that spot (shoulder-width apart), lean in until your elbows are at 90 degrees. Hold this position for three minutes. You will be surprised at how much this will contribute to your warm-up routine. It also makes a good post-exercise cool-down. Hope this helps.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do a scoop of Vega Clean Energy before, but it low key tastes like poison and I’m just getting through the tub at this point.

It works, if nothing else.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I see no point. Eat when you're hungry.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a well timed carby snack. If I'm dragging *kitten*, a sugar free red bull.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a protein bar and some fruit does the trick for me. Then a shake or eggs or something after.