Salad Toppings

Options
I love salads for lunches at work. Yet, I am tired of having the same exact salad all the time. I just don't know what else to really top my salads with.

This is my typical salad: Mixed Greens, cucumber, tomato, red onion, red pepper, occassionall pea pods and diced chicken breast. Low sodium Balsalmic Vinegarette.

Any suggestions for what I could do to change this up a bit?

Thanks!

Replies

• angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Legumes! Add garbanzo beans or kidney beans for a low fat protein instead of chicken. Hearts of palm or artichoke hearts are nice additions, also. Enjoy!
  • ScoutMom1
    Options
    if you like some texture you could add almond slivers or soy nuts.
  • 2009public
    Options
    I don't use salad dressing b/c of the sugar and vinegar and I'm too busy to make it fresh everytime.

salsa mixed with hummus.

i love using guacamole.

i used to love having dried cranberries.

HTH,
    Mary
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    parmesan cheese, broccoli, chopped nuts, banana peppers, or mix it up and make a mexican salad...avocado, salsa, jalepeno pepper.
  • MarshaElliott
    Options
    Try a few teaspoons of sesame seeds, they are low calorie. A few sliced strawberries change the flavor a litte and doesn't add a lot of calories. Also a few of the baby carrots are good. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. Lettuce, tuna, tomato, crispy onions, and a little vidalia onion vinaigrette. Or spinach, chicken, sliced roasted almonds, quartered cherry tomatoes, and raspberry vinaigrette.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i use fresh pineapple juice rather than dressing. It's super-good! Also, I put a little bit of 4 cheese italian blend on it, for flavor. Good luck!! :-)
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    Uuuuhm, how about

feta cheese and small meatballs (doesn't taste good with chicken),
    honey-mustard dressing and the chicken,
    thinly sliced italian ham and maybe some melon (but I'd leave out the tomatos and cucumbers then),
    more tomatos, mozzarella and pine seeds,
    orange filets, pineapple and chicken,
    cranberries, pumpkin seeds, any kinds of kernels ...

yum.
    I'm getting hungry ;-P

Have fun with your great healthy meals!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Beans are awesome lol also a very small amount of craisins or sunflower seeds. Barley is yummy. Also maybe you're just sick of the dressing? I get sick of dressing so fast currently I like anything with balsamic in the name lol but I'm sure it will change. Not sure how you feel about tofu also theirs different vegetarian meats by morning star that may add a unique flavor and is a bit more dense.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat a very simple salad... because I don't like weird stuff on my salad. I just put on 5 black olives and one strip of bacon and call it good.
  • Gabster453
    Gabster453 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some Ideas

dried cranberries (the organic one's, not craisins)

chopped pecans (they add a really nice crunch, plus a little protein)

a little crumble of goat cheese (don't get freaked, it actually tastes really good...it has a slight tart taste to it which surprisingly compliments the balsamic dressing...just use a little because I think it has a high milf fat (m.f.) content)
  • Dreamingirl80
    Options
    I love my salads, I will cut up a hard boiled egg on mine. I also shred carrots, or dice up oscar meyer deli fresh roasted turkey or smoked ham lunch meat.
  • cjcarson87
    Options
    i usualy chnage the dressings more than the toppings...i have like 13 bottles lol. right now im stuck on a seseame ginger one. YUM.
  • angelazurcher
    Options
    Spinach with dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and feta with balsamic dressing is my favorite salad! :tongue:
    Or chopped salamni and hard bolied egg.
    Any kind of bean, celery, beets, red onion, tomato, pine nuts
    Fruits like strawberries or melons are great too.
    Varying your dressing is also a great idea! I like strawberry balsamic and this dressing called "Jamaica mistake" it's so flavorful and very low cal.
    Good luck!