What made you say enough is enough?

Options
I thought id throw it out there and ask the question. What was the turning point for you to say enough is enough. And how bad did you let yourself go before this turning point. Was it for health or family. Id love to hear some stories of how you finaly realised that you need to do something. Personly diabetes saved my life im sure of it. I let myself go to 150 kg and found out i had type 2 diabetes along with chest pain. My father has allready passed from a heart attack and my mum has had a heart attack. being diagnosed with diabetes has turned my life around. I was an emotioanal eater. I dont drink or smoke but turned to food in tough times.

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    when i had back boobs poking out from under my bra straps on the back:sick:
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    look under my pics in my profile. the one of me standing next to a fake mountie? THAT did it for me....
    about 3 months before that pic, i was slim and fit thanks to generally healthy eating and weekly indoor soccer games.
    now i am trying to get myself back down to "soccer weight" by my first game sept 9/10.
  • missolesky
    missolesky Posts: 40
    Options
    when I weighted my 5'4" self and weighed a glass of water under 200 pounds and remembered that was how much my grandma weighed when she was diagnosed with diabetes and my mother when they decided she had pcos. That was 2 months ago and it will NEVER happen again
  • aris2
    aris2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was fat and depressed. For me it wasn't necessarily a moment. I've been overweight for a long time with slimmer phases but overall it is my eating habits that get me in trouble. After my separation I go so depressed I let myself go completely. It took over two year for me to realize that life was worth living without him and that included taking care of myself and the way I looked so I started working on it :)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    When I turned 40 I started having "lady problems" and ended up in the hospital to have an operation. Found out I had high blood pressure and went on meds for it. Since then I've been more aware of my mortality. I've done Weight Watchers and NutriSystem and they worked fine until I went back to old habits. Now I'm trying calorie counting and exercise. I was 270 in 2000 now I am at 220 but my lowest has been 200, gonna go below this time and keep it there, I can feel it.

I just don't want to be one of those old obese people who have to ride the electric shopping cart at WalMart, piling it up with bacon and pie and ice cream. I want to be one of those old ladies who can still sling a 40 pound bag of dog food over her shoulder and go for 5 mile bike rides :bigsmile:
  • brapril714
    Options
    My son was born in January of 2010, at that time I was getting ready for back surgery also. The thought of not being able to play with him was tough. Well, back surgery came and went. I had a good bit of improvement, for a while. I got to where we could play and I could hold him. Come August of 2010, the back pain became unbearable and a 2nd surgery was needed. I know that my weight wasn't the direct cause of my back injury, but it didn't help.
    A light went off, I knew that I had to fix myself, on top of what the doctors did. I was scared to death I would miss out on so much of my sons life. I lost 50lbs before surgery, and another 50lbs so far. My back is not perfect, I still have bad days. But, I'm no longer afraid that I will miss out on anything.
    Also, when you start losing weight, you will gain something, confidence. Let it take control of you, run with it. You're going to screw up on your journey, none of us are perfect. This is your ONLY life. Live it to the fullest.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    In May, I saw a picture taken at Christmas. I was crushed. I could not believe how huge I was. And when I finally saw that Christmas picture, I had packed on 5 extra pounds. I could not believe it. At that moment I told myself "NO MORE". And 2 1/2 months and 17lbs later, I'm so happy I saw that picture
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I felt uncomfortable with how big I got for a couple of years. My nice work pants started to get tight one day. I was already horrified at the size they were (US 14) so there was no chance I was buying bigger pants. On that day I set out to find an app on my phone to help me count calories, which led me to MFP!

How bad did I let myself go? Well I am 5'7" and weighed 175 lbs. at my heaviest. I estimate I was a good 30 pounds overweight.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I hit the weight I associate with being the weight when my mother gave up.

I love her, I do not want to be her.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    2 things really nagged me enough to make a real effort and stick to it. The first one was that I couldn't sleep anymore - I felt like I had a hot fat cat sitting on my chest when I was in bed. I would twist my body in all different directions just to breathe at night.
    The second was that strangers kept asking me when my (nonexistent) baby was due. It was a very common occurrence.
  • sivan723
    Options
    By "enough is enough" I meant :
    I was tired of fighting my own conscience about NOT doing what I should've been doing
    I had enough with being fat, uncomfortable, having nothing fit right right
    Lastly, but not least at all, I was tired of fighting to get my sugar down without actually doing what I knew I should.....lose weight! :O)
  • llaurall
    llaurall Posts: 32
    Options
    Last year I felt very lethargic, irritated and flabby. I took a long, hard look at myself in a full length mirror and hated what I saw. Especially the two huge tyres around my stomach. But what really made me aware of my weight for the very first time was when I was a young teen. On the train a boy was teasing one of my friends and I told him to stop. He then proceeded to loudly announce to the entire carraige that I was "a big fat blue whale" (I was wearing a blue coat that time). I remember very clearly my friend's pitying looks and the fact that I cried all the way home but I suppose more good than bad came out of it since I'm now healthy and fitter than ever!
  • Lsmith7915
    Options
    I got diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes. It was lose the weight or have a stroke. I have a grandson I want to be here to enjoy. Easy choice.
  • chitniss
    chitniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the medical field, the light eventually went on when one of my patients saw me at a fast food joint. I had told that patient the day before to stop eating crap.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Pictures...... I love taking pictures but havent in forever because of how big I was. That fat neck and double chin is horrible. And I live in Florida 20 minutes from the Gulf Coast and hate going to the beach because I will not wear a bathing suit without some sort of cover up.

Both my better half and son are skinny so it is hard for me, I also had a hypothyroid that I am convenced I will fix on my own without medication.
  • aerodynamicvomit
    aerodynamicvomit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A friend of ours came to visit for a weekend, and I saw what he ate: all organic things, soft boiled eggs, etc., and he brought it all with him in a cooler. Anywhere we went that wasn't a real sit down restaurant, he brought his own food. He was certain of -exactly- went in to his body at all times.

It occurred to me that I am 100% responsible for what goes in to my mouth, at all times. Nobody has a gun to my head demanding I eat fast food.

Also I'm a nurse and see chronic condition patients and how miserable things can become, even just in your 40's and 50's if this doesn't change.
  • drk_diva
    drk_diva Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    About two months ago while looking through old photos (only from two years ago) and my daughter says, "oh wow Mom, You was skinny".....I was so floored. And at that time I thought I was fat then also....What I would do right now to get back there. But Hey, I'm working to get passed that size now.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm in the medical field, the light eventually went on when one of my patients saw me at a fast food joint. I had told that patient the day before to stop eating crap.

Interesting ... I always wonder how health professionals who are overweight reconcile their personal way of eating with what they know and advise patients.

Anyway, for me it was a combination of having a closet of clothes that were too small alongside a whole other bigger wardrobe that was getting too small, and the realization that with creeping weight gain I'd eventually end up being my Mom (nothing personal, Mom). MFP has helped me fix that :-)
  • patti229
    Options
    Yesterday I went to my doctor..got weighed..YIKES and then was told I had HBP..never ever had HBP..and I DO NOT want to take meds..so I am determined to eat healthier, exercise, lose weight and have normal BP. My niece just told me about this site and I just signed up. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Well... I started dieting, randomly, one day, i was dinking around on my new phone, thinking of things to download off the free market place, and i thought about i bet theres some stupid calorie counter, so i searched, and MFP was top of the list.. i ended up downloading it thinking how stupid it was, and well.. i havent missed a day in 150days..

But prior to this.. i started realizing i had a problem when Id have breakfast at home to save money on fast food, and by the time i got into town, i was hungry again and buying fast food that i was trying to not afford... Id buy fast food a couple times a day generally, and when my boyfriend would get into the car, hed be like "you went to mcdonalds...were going out to dinner"...i share a car with my mom, so id either use the excuse "its not mine, its from my mom" or "yea, but I went before work this mroning".. when id eat it after work, and i had to eat because i knew once i got to my boyfriends we might sit around for a couple hours, and i couldnt make it a couple hours without starving to death. That and the amount of money i was spending on food--- between eating out everyday a couple times, and then going out with my boyfreind a couple nights a week to dinners, i didnt have any money and had trouble affording anything at all, toher than food. .

Now I eat out occasionally with my boyfriend, but i make good choices when we do, and skip fast food, and dont leave the house without eating breakfast, and having packed 2 snacks and lunch. I can afford to buy food for the house now that im not buying fast food, and can get toilet paper and things that i need, and can even think about going on trips and such with excess money.

Also, not being able to stand naked, or take off my shirt, etc in front of boyfriend.. not changing in front of him, anything.. after being together for a year and a half... not being able to buy bras at the store cuz stores dont carry H cup.. (although now that ive lost 50pounds, im now a J cup, so i went up two cups sizes!! lol wtf!!), going into lane bryant and asking if they carry anything bigger than size 28 cuz theyre biggest pair of pants didnt fit me well. Buying clothes that i didnt like just because they did fit me... it taking a full day to find those couple of items that did fit me. Not being able to wear swim suits because of my inner thigh bulge embarrassing me too much. having high cholesterol, above average blood pressure, and dodging the bullet with diabetes (my grandma and sister have it, but somehow i never showed signs of it---but thought if i kept going the way i was, i would in no time). Having heart troubles (days of it beating too fast, etc, especially after a night of drinking).