Please tell me I’m not alone

Options
So , I totally have body image issues. Even at my smallest, I would have low self esteem about how my body looked . Social media doesn’t help I constantly see photos of fitness gurus and girls, which is seems their only job is working out and being beautiful . Living up to those images is tough . This is the first time I’m saying this to anyone, but here it goes : this year my resolution is to break out of that mentality and love my body and who I am . Working on myself, inside, as well as outside .

Replies

• ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, even as a guy. I know I look IK these days, but not if I compare to those in the media. I try to stay away from TV and this is my only social media. Forget about all that noise!
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone! I'm 51 and I feel like it only gets harder with age. Now, not only do I worry about weight but everyone seems so much younger! I plan on getting back into shape and not worry so much about the latter. Here's to a new year!

I wish you much success on loving who you are!
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    as a guy, i never worried about body self image. big just meant "jovial and fun" now I am desperate to be fit and in shape. i know and never considered that with being more trim, comes more internal chemical health....48yrs old. so hard now, but focused for 1st time iwth this basis, in years
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It gets better.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost fifty pounds and still see *that* person when I look in the mirror. (No one else does. I get constant compliments that make me uncomfortable. Body image is definitely a thing.)

Body positivity is less about appearance and more about how you feel about yourself. *hugs* and good luck.
  • NatalieHarr1993
    NatalieHarr1993 Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use to have the same mentality! I saw one of these "Famous" IG "Fitness Vloggers" in a gym I went to. She spent half the time looking at herself in the mirror and even more time on her phone. I'd say all in all she got a 5 minute workout done. I went onto her IG feed the next day & she had a video up of her in the same gym saying "Working my A$s off in the gym" followed by some inspirational quote. I quickly unfollowed her and all the other fitness vloggers I envied. This helped me a lot!
  • DocJayDee
    DocJayDee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nope you are not alone, I'm with you!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. I am fit and athletic and still have body image issues. When I look in the mirror I see my flaws before I see what looks good. I have gotten better over the years. When I do look in the mirror in my mind I see the flaws but out loud I say what I like about myself. I am now focusing on my strength as I will never be tiny. I love my muscles!!
  • KimmieCapone
    KimmieCapone Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this from time to time as well. I have to take a step back and remind myself that there will always and forever be someone smarter, prettier and funnier than I am. But, they'll never be me. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am 48 years old almost 100 pounds overweight. I have been obese for at least the last 18 to 20 years. The most important part of my kids lives as they were growing up... Wasted... Because I didn't have the energy to run and play with them to take them more places to do more things with them. I was too fat. I didn't like the look of myself I didn't want to leave the house. And now I look and I say yeah great if I lose the weight then I'm just going to have loose skin and I'm still going to be ugly. I have to battle this thought all the time.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone - we all compare ourselves to others and it's so easy to get discouraged and feel like you're not good enough. If these fitness gurus aren't inspiring you then maybe it's time to stop following them? That way you won't see the pictures and feel the need to constantly compare yourself to others. The only person you should compare yourself to is you. Perhaps you could put up an old picture of yourself next to your mirror to remind yourself how far you have come when you're feeling negative? Or make a list of your achievements and NSVs? After all, there's so much that you have done that no one else has :)
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You are not alone. I am 48 years old almost 100 pounds overweight. I have been obese for at least the last 18 to 20 years. The most important part of my kids lives as they were growing up... Wasted... Because I didn't have the energy to run and play with them to take them more places to do more things with them. I was too fat. I didn't like the look of myself I didn't want to leave the house. And now I look and I say yeah great if I lose the weight then I'm just going to have loose skin and I'm still going to be ugly. I have to battle this thought all the time.

i am almost exactly the same. but for me creeping on 150 mark. been 22years (pre-marriage) before was at goal. i agree with everything you have said
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Not alone, men feel it too
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    You are def not alone @redstickfitness Even most guys have it but most try and hide it.
  • vanessacheer3
    vanessacheer3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I have such low self esteem and I am so self conscious too, but I'm determined to fix that. Not just my body but change my perspective. So I'm with you girl, you're not alone.
  • pauliet7
    pauliet7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, the best thing i have done in a while is abandon social media. Being insecure and suffering with low self esteem i was always battling. Any progress was short lived because social media always plays to our insecurities. Its been over 18 months now and I don’t regret it one bit.
    All the best on your journey.