Advice for breaking the mental barrier?

Options
I have been hovering right at the 225-230lb mark for a few years now. I am an active person, not so much with working out but just on the go all the time and what exercise I do get comes from a few basketball leagues in the winter with a lot time walking in the woods for recreation. I always have intentions to drop 25lbs ore so and get to my 200lb goal (with my build I think that is my target). My main issue is I eat terrible, I never make good choices when it comes to food, plus I am a picky eater when it comes to veggies. I will tell myself to chose better options, but when the time comes I ALWAYS revert back to the worst items I can get. It is like a voice in my head steps in an takes over. I hate it. I really feel that if I can get over this hump I can reach my goals...any advice for conquering this issue?!?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? That tends to bring a sorry if accountability that helps some folks and is meaningless to others.

You don't have to eat every vegetable under the sun. Find yummy ways to prepare the ones you like, give up on the ones you don't. Take a multi vitamin if you don't eat that much variety.

What you want us to find an easy way to stay at or below your calorie goal. That's all, at least for now. Talking everything at once just makes it harder. Losing weight and still being picky about veggies puts you in a better place than you are today. Tomorrow you can work on trying new before if you feel like it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You just have to eat less.
  • dhayse32
    dhayse32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m another believer in actions over motivation. All of us can fail at self motivation but can still do what needs to get done. So think what is holding you back. Are you tracking? If not, start. If so, make sure you’re tracking correctly. If you don’t eat vegetables, ok. Find other foods that fill you up that you like. Maybe a broth soup before meals. Maybe switch a vegetarian meal of beans vs high calorie fast food (for ex). Or low calorie fish meals as a substitute. Drink lots of liquids through the day and before meals to fill up before eating.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this, and as others have said, it doesn't have to be incredibly painful. A week or two of meticulously (ideally with a food scale) tracking everything you eat will give you a good starting point to decide how and where to reduce calories. If you usually get a large order of fries, try ad medium and see how you feel. See if you could cut back on liquid calories somewhere - maybe make the 2-3 times a week mocha into a TGIF treat. It takes patience to take it slow, but if you can't make changes that will stick, you're just going to put that weight right back on.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    As far as eating good foods goes, don't eat out, plan your meals and don't buy any junk at the grocery store. Then make it and eat it. If your still hungry, eat some junk after. Just be at least disciplined to eat the good stuff 1st, then if you eat the bad stuff, you won't have as much room for it.

I started gaining weight at about age 33 and got up to 240 or so by age 45 or so (from 180), it just kind of crept up on me year by year (6'1"). I tried dieting at age 45 (I've always been physically active playing basketball or hiking) and lost to 211 but then had some injuries (complete acl tear playing basketball) and also had some gout issues and the diet wasn't all that sustainable and I gained it all back and go up to 256 by the time I was 54. I discovered IF at age 54 and was able to go from 252 to 210 doing that in about 5-months, I then maintained for about 1.5-years and then did another 15-lb push and got down to 195. For the last couple of months I've maintained between 195 and 200. Starting the new year, I hope to make another push and get down to 190 or so. You might give IF a try. It's only the second diet I've tried (the first not being too sustainable and the small meal thing a non-starter for me) and it has worked well for me.

Tracking can be eye-opening. If you haven't done it, it would be good to do it for at lease a month or so to learn what kind of calories the foods you eat have. After that, if you can make adjustments to lose weight without tracking, you might not need to continue tracking.

Good luck!
  • SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    It may sound girly to you but I find journaling helps. I am in a similar boat as you are when it comes to reverting back.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    dhayse32 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

The thought of having to change the foods I eat automatically makes me want them more.

Fortunately you don’t have to change ANYTHING you eat. Just eat 500 cals under your TDEE. You’ll blink and the weight will have come off by summer because it was actually sustainable.
    Not to mention you get that early whoosh which is a huge motivator and bonus.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Once I get started I do really well and I keep it up for awhile but if I get off track I stay off track for months.

What's helped me the most is just thinking about my age. I'm still youngish (29)...but I know I'm not like "young" anymore and after two kids I can't have a flat midsection by switching to diet coke for a couple days lol. I am also having more health consequences from my weight...my BP, my cholesterol...all going up and I remind myself that the older I get the less reversible those are (and the more residual damage). I think about that stuff a lot. I hate working out, especially cardio and now when I am really huffing and puffing when I would normally quit I remind myself how good this is for my heart and I tell myself that if I do that this workout is just one closer to healthier pressure and not dying of a heart attack in 20 years.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    DmaMfz wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

The thought of having to change the foods I eat automatically makes me want them more.

Fortunately you don’t have to change ANYTHING you eat. Just eat 500 cals under your TDEE. You’ll blink and the weight will have come off by summer because it was actually sustainable.
    Not to mention you get that early whoosh which is a huge motivator and bonus.

Agreed! Eat what you’ve always eaten, just less of it within your calorie goal. It’s the best kept secret of the diet industry because IT WORKS!
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to eliminate too much and the food you think you should eat feels like a chore, that's hard to sustain.

If you don't like most vegetables, then don't eat most vegetables (it's worth trying new stuff to make sure you're meeting your nutritional needs, but that's a whole different thing).

Figure out what options fit your calorie goals, lifestyle, needs, *and preferences*. If you eat terrible, figure out what swaps you can make to eat . . . less terrible. You don't have to eat perfect to lose weight, you just have to consume fewer calories than you burn. You can do that while eating smaller portions of "terrible" things while trying out new foods and recipes to see what else you like.

Great advice. I've been trying to make small changes that will add up. Like keeping track of food If I eat out. The other week I went to Burger King and got a whooper Jr, no mayo, instead of a regular whooper. Seems foolish, since it's still Burger King, but it's still a step in the right direction. Also, I've been trying to figure out which fruits and veggies I like best. I've been eating more sweet potato because I've realized I actually like it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My main issue is I eat terrible, I never make good choices when it comes to food, plus I am a picky eater when it comes to veggies.
    Same for me, but I still manage to lose when I put my mind to it.

It's not about *what* you eat, it's about *how much* you eat. Yes, you may need to tweak the *what* in order to get the *how much* sustainable and tolerable, but losing weight doesn't have to mean a tectonic shift in the types of foods you eat.

Tracking, along with weighing/measuring, is a HUGE must for me. The margin for error is a lot less when your diet is primarily calorie dense foods.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not about what you eat, so much as how much you eat.

granted, a balanced diet rich in nutrients is HEALTHIER, but as far as CICO goes, you could eat ding dongs within your calorie allotment and still lose weight (youd feel like *kitten* and always be hungry, but still lose weight)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Know that food manufacturers and fast food companies have an army of chemist's behind them to engineer their food in a way that guarantees you eat as much as possible, at the risk of your own health...

And read your nutrition labels, there's no bigger turn-off than looking at how much calories and how many servings and what other ingredients are in something