Carry Scope or Listerine with you

Options
Yes, brush your teeth better for about ten minutes before you eat. It can help you reduce the amount of food you eat. By thinking of how clean your mouth feels, your brain limits the intake of food. If you are out, carry mouthwash with you and hold it inside your mouth for a minute more of what you normally hold it for. The minty taste may clash with the food and help you reduce the amount of food.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hey, whatever works I guess.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It's an idea... I'd check with a dentist first.
  • CallMeRu
    CallMeRu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is an old trick that girls with eating disorders have always used. I agree to brush your teeth right after you eat so you don't continue to eat, but brushing before isn't a good idea. Mouthwash is another thing you should either do after eating, or preventing yourself from giving into a craving.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have personally found nothing mint like makes a difference, the taste mixture disappears after the first couple bites and the food goes back to tasting normal. although i don't brush before eating or whatever..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I guess its an idea to consider but not too sure I want to do this every single day or every meal, etc. For me its not teaching me much in regards to learning how to eat better and make better habits overall.

I am a pre-planner so my pre-set calories for my meals prevent me from consuming too much food.

eta: I am all for brushing afterwards, but the Listerine is way too strong for me.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i usually will brush my teeth after eating. For me it cuts down on wanting something sweet to eat after a meal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If I don't want to eat chewing mint gum helps me. I get the chewing action but also don't want to eat things because I have gum in my mouth and the mint flavor.
    I don't need to do this before every meal or every day.

Mouthwash and toothbrushing before meals seems excessive. Just take smaller portions or eat lower calorie foods?
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get cravings at night I brush my teeth in an attempt to kill the cravings...doesn't always work.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It’s actually bad to brush too often. Twice a day is the most needed. I do chew mint gum if I’m feeling peckish until the feeling goes away.