Water and Bathroom Breaks... HELP!

Options
My schedule has always been an inhibitor to drinking more water but my New Years Resolution is to stop making excuses so I HAVE to find a way.

My bladder must win a Guinness World Record for being tiny. I know that at the outset of my diet I'll be peeing more frequently until it stretches and gets used to my water intake but is there ANYTHING I can do in the meantime? I take an hour and a half bus ride to and from work every day and by the time I get off the bus I think I will explode. My boyfriend suggested lemon water but I heard that was a diuretic.

Is there anything else I can do or any strategy I can adopt (like timing my water intake to certain parts of the day) that will minimize the impact of frequent bathroom breaks, or do I just have to deal with it?

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you are peeing more than once an hour you should see a doctor just to make sure its not a problem, my doctor told me to train my bladder by only letting myself go once an hour.
    I do recommend lemon water more for taste and health benefits nothing to do with the peeing issue.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking in addition to other beverages?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How much water are your drinking? Just drinking enough to stay hydrated during the day is all you need to be drinking. Plus if you drink other beverages (coffee, tea, diet drinks, etc...) and if you also include foods we eat contain water as well, no need to drink so much extra.
  • Timetogetstarted
    Timetogetstarted Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am dreading going back to work tomorrow as it is a nightmare trying to find time to pee in between classes. It has been wonderful not having to fit bathroom breaks in between classes.
  • ViviOrnitier
    ViviOrnitier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My goal is to drink 64 ounces a day which is an increase from.... 0 ounces a day. I think I can safely say I was not drinking enough water before, even though my pee was not dark yellow.
    Although I appreciate the secondary advice, I'd appreciate any answers to the question I actually asked.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to drink 0 a day.. you'd have to not eat at all also
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just have a small cup of water when you wake up, have a pee before the bus, then once you're at your destination, resume drinking plenty of liquid.

I personally stop drinking any liquids by around 9pm, because I hate waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    My goal is to drink 64 ounces a day which is an increase from.... 0 ounces a day. I think I can safely say I was not drinking enough water before, even though my pee was not dark yellow.
    Although I appreciate the secondary advice, I'd appreciate any answers to the question I actually asked.

Try to drink 2 cups with breakfast, lunch, dinner and space in 2 more cups in between these meals.

Caffeinated beverages increase the need to urinate as well so there is always that factor.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A very salty snack. Like chex mix...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I guess the real question should have been how much liquid are you drinking, not just water. But yes, of course you can time your drinks so that they better fit your schedule. You could drink less overall to lessen the problem.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Maybe avoid drinking before you leave for work and then avoid drinking for up to two hours before leaving work?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add in the other liquids you are drinking - they don't count as zeros, and will definitely affect your ability to "hold in" water LOL.

That being said, I'm constantly sipping on water throughout the day. I have to make a bathroom stop before heading home, and often when I reach my destination. For other trips, I have to plan my fluid consumption. Don't down a big glass of water just before leaving for work - take some to go, and sip on it slowly during the trip home. That should help with that specific issue.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I limit water and avoid coffee when I will be in the car for more than an hour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Consider ramping up more gradually, rather than leaping from 0 to 64, since it sounds like you weren't suffering major dehydration symptoms on lower amounts?

When bathrooms are nearby (in case of emergency), consider trying to hold on progressively a bit longer before going?

I went through increasing my water consumption a few years back (to relieve hydration-related problems). I think I did adapt somewhat with time and practice.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the advice given by ISweat4This.
    Drink far less water/Coffee/Liquids about an hour before you will be on the bus or traveling (with limited bathroom access). Once you get to your destination, you can drink all the water to your heart's content.
    I drink 12-20 glasses of water a day and I have to visit the bathroom frequently due to all those liquids processing through my body. Overall, it's a good thing to keep your kidneys working that hard. It just gets uncomfortable sometimes in traffic.
    Recap: Stop an hour before and you should be OK during your transit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you're peeing that much then stop drinking so much. The point is just to maintain hydration.. not water log yourself. If your pee wasn't dark yellow before you decided to increase your in take you were already drinking enough

+1
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If your urine isn't dark, then obviously you're drinking enough liquids. If you feel you need to drink more water, just replace other drinks you have with water, instead of drinking it on top of. All liquids you drink count toward your daily water intake, except alcohol.