anyone w anxiety tried 5-hour energy or similar?

Options
Just wondering if it makes you an anxious wreck or if it is indeed only like a cup of coffee. THX!

Replies

• rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I've used it many times, never noticed it making me jittery. You can try a half a bottle to start out with to see how that affects you before taking the whole thing.
  • cjlapier
    cjlapier Posts: 29
    Options
    I don't know. I tried it a few times and found it a waste of money. Didn't really get all that "energy" that they promised.
  • JulietAshton
    Options
    I've taken them and haven't felt anxious at all.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I've tried it and I wouldn't use it again.. although I am sensitive to too much coffee as well.. I find the 5 hour energy is too much too soon and I get really antsy and find it really hard to focus on just one thing.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if it makes you an anxious wreck or if it is indeed only like a cup of coffee. THX!

For me personally it's more than just a cup of coffee...its a few. I'm sensitive to caffeine so that might be the reason.:drinker:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Before I got my anxiety under control I took one, just gave me some energy didn't make me freak. HOWEVER if you are on medication for it I wouldn't recommend it. You should talk with a pharmacist or doctor first.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a history of anxiety issues and what not. I tried the 5 hour energy shot last year for new years, and it made me so jittery I was freaking out a bit. It got to the point I couldn't even eat. I will never take one again. I now drink these energy drinks call FRS Healthy Energy Drink. Just the right amount of energy for me.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    They make me freak. I used to take them occasionally - within 45 or so minutes I generally end up having an anxiety attack. I tried half - and the anxiety was less - but I didn't have the energy either.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I've had them and they really didn't do a lot for me as far as energy goes. I am better off with a cup of coffee. If you have anxiety, I would just try a half of it and see.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use it, doesn't increase anxiety.
  • jaimevondawson
    Options
    I think it works awesome. It doesn't make you want to crawl out of your skin like others. But try 1/2 a bottle at first in case you are sensitive to the ingredients. Good luck!
  • LovingMe19
    Options
    They make me freak. I used to take them occasionally - within 45 or so minutes I generally end up having an anxiety attack. I tried half - and the anxiety was less - but I didn't have the energy either.

Same here.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a history of anxiety issues and what not. I tried the 5 hour energy shot last year for new years, and it made me so jittery I was freaking out a bit. It got to the point I couldn't even eat. I will never take one again. I now drink these energy drinks call FRS Healthy Energy Drink. Just the right amount of energy for me.

i second the frs! it has just a very little bit of caffiene, to help your body absorb all the other great stuff.... but won't make you jittery or nervous. my favorite is the powdered kind that you can mix with a bottle of water, but my husband likes the chews and the lite canned drinks. make sure if you try it you get the lite (or maybe it's low cal?) stuff because the other is HORRIBLY sweet.
  • LovingMe19
    Options

i second the frs! it has just a very little bit of caffiene, to help your body absorb all the other great stuff.... but won't make you jittery or nervous. my favorite is the powdered kind that you can mix with a bottle of water, but my husband likes the chews and the lite canned drinks. make sure if you try it you get the lite (or maybe it's low cal?) stuff because the other is HORRIBLY sweet.

I haven't seen the powdered version! Im going to have to look for in my store, that would be awesome for on the go. I've only purchased the Low Cal cans, and I love them! I love that I can drink an energy drink, but it tastes like im drinking a smoothie with all the fruit in it! The FRS is the first energy drink i've tasted and not want to spit back out lol.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I am prone to depression and for a while I was self-medicating with those energy drinks. They worked fine for me, short-term. But if you're already suffering from anxiety, I would think that adding a stimulant to your system is NOT a very good idea. I would definitely check with your doctor first if you're taking medications.
  • Mcdonaldfitandfree
    Options
    I haven't tried it before,but my mother in law has before and she said it didn't give her very much energy at all and she does have lots of anxiety. It also did make her jittery.

We now take a nutritional drink that gives us energy for pretty much the whole day and nutrition at the same time which does the trick. No jitters either.

I recommend doing what is best for your body and your situation and test it out.

I always say, just because it works or doesn't work for someone else doesn't mean it will do the same for you.
    The best way to know is to try.

Oh a tip too that might help you figure out what is best for you, is to take a look at your sugar intake, if you are wanting energy, focus on the energy part of it. If you take in too much sugar you may be kicking yourself in the foot.

Good luck
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i bought some FRS (low cal) per your suggestions. i'll let you know how it goes!! thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!! :flowerforyou:
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Not sure if you will check back here, but I wanted to let you yall know I tried the FRS and it works great. No jitters (though I'm usually exercising) and it keeps me going beyond my workout. Thanks so much for the advice!! :happy: