What do you do to fight temptation and/or quitting?

Options
I'm feeling very motivated right about now, but I know that the toughest times are ahead.

Needing wisdom! What do YOU do (or tell yourself) when you're tempted to binge, skip the gym, etc.??

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I never step foot in a gym but I always make myself get my running gear on. If I'm fully dressed then still don't feel like it then maybe I'd stay in. It's never happened though, I think it's the can't be bothered to get ready feeling really.

As for temptation I don't find that I have a problem. I eat everything I like just in quantities that fit my calories. If I want a meal out I'll keep 200 calories a day for a few days before then eat it without guilt.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to make mistakes and I know that as long as I stay with it that's the best I can do. This is such a mental game and the things we tell ourselves when we have a less than perfect type of day can affect the process and create unnecessary drama. You cannot have all good days. Good and bad are just aspects of the same mental judgement.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    fill your cupboards and fridge with healthy foods that are low calorie and high fiber . so that even the treats are good for you treats . and there are loads of tasty foods that will satisfy and not throw you off track . I make soups with lots of onions and celery and carrot as the base using home made salt free chicken stock and adding a variety of pulses and whole grains so there is lots of fiber to keep me full freeze in 1-4 serving containers there are so many ways to make a vegetable and broth based soup that they do not get boring , ( add a half sandwich or a salad and you have a great meal ) make sure to keep your meals interesting do not allow it to get boring . make room for favorite foods . if you love cheese burgers , as I do , bank calories so you can fit it in once in a while . and do not set your calories so low that you will constantly feel deprived . I did 1140 for a couple months but got cranky I moved it up to 1480 it slowed down the weight loss but allowed me to feel more satisfied which allows me to stay motivated . try to get in 25-30 g of fiber each day it is good for weight loss and keeping you healthy.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale EVERY morning. Reminds me what I am fighting.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You keep a diary? I never tracked exercise but many people do. When tracking food (I did for about 6 yrs) I tracked everyday. Not just the good days. If somehow I managed to forget, I went back and filled in what I had eaten best I could.

If you let the tracker drive the process, the only way to fail is to consciously decide to quit.

And sooner or later that voice in your head will tell you to quit. Not at first. First it will tell you it’s too slow or your losses are too small. (Really the same thing) Or it’s boring or your legs are still fat.
    Then the voice will say it’s too hard. Then it will ask Why bother? Then it will say quit. Fight back.

You can’t really stop the voice. But you don’t have to act based on what it says. Just keep tracking.
  • jvando74
    jvando74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how great I feel both during and after my workout (I run, no gym membership at this time). I find the the immediate mental health benefits to be more motivating than any of the physical goals I have. Good luck, you can do it!
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My supplements seem to always work as a motivating factor. If I take them and don’t exercise, then it seems like a waste of money. My consistent exercise helps me justify the cost.
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Positive self talk may sometimes seem contrived, but if my inner voice is going to talk regardless, might as well give it something good to say or at least combat the ridiculous stuff it comes up with.

"I don't eat my feelings" was one that I used very successfully for a good long while. It never became completely part of me even after a year, so it can slip away if not paying enough attention. I did have to find new ways to deal with feelings and that was a bit tricky at first (the eating was holding back anger).

Pre-logging can sometimes help, as can giving myself permission to eat all the way right up to maintenance if I feel like I need to.

With exercise, I do better if I make some sort of effort toward physical health every single day, even if it's just a walk around the block or a 10 minute exercise video. No excuses.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    With food, I plan my indulgences. A treat isn't a cheat, it's a choice. And if I know that there's going to be something high-calorie on the horizon that I'm going to want, I make up my mind whether it's worth eating a bit lighter, working out a bit harder, etc.

I don't belong to a gym, but I do take long walks, use a fitness glider, and have dumbbells and other equipment in my basement. And yeah, sometimes I do get tempted to skip. But I find that I'm always hungrier when I do. And I'm bored. And my moods suffer. So, sometimes I really feel like working out. Sometimes, I don't, but I push myself anyway. (I'm sort of used to it. I write as a hobby and my 'breakthrough' was remembering that in university, nobody asked for an extension on a paper because, "I had writer's block." "My muse wasn't cooperating." "I just wasn't in the mood." Somehow, when writing had to get done, it got done. I applied that to my creative writing and told myself that it didn't matter if inspiration hit or not. I was writing a scene every evening, even if it was *kitten*; I could always fix it later. So, with the exercising, it's along the lines of "being in the mood is great. But whether I am or not, I need this. It curbs my appetite, my emotional eating, my boredom eating... and we're not even getting into the improved walking speed, the visible delts, the increased strength, etc. That workout is getting done. End of.") I may not always enjoy the workouts, but I always love that feeling at the end when I get to stop!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    On the days I have a morning gym class, I put on my exercise clothes before I go into the kitchen for my first cup of coffee. I do the same on the days I plan to run. Then I have no excuse, I’ve already taken the first step, so I walk out the door and go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I look at my progress pics and past journal entries of accomplishments. If you’re just starting, post a before pic with a blank space next to it for your first progress pic. Set lots of mini goals besides the scale. Like trying new foods, new recipes, new exercises, steps, etc. that way a few things are always going well even when other areas are slow.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    To me, it's really about loving the process. If you only picture the end result, it may be tough when you're mind starts creating doubt. If you find a way to enjoy the grind, it becomes that much easier.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Never shop hungry! Avoid walking down trigger aisles. If you are wavering, think about now many calories you have available and actually consider now to fit it into your "budget" instead of why you "can't" eat something. I notice that if I actually calculate and decide if a food is it's calories price and how I'll feel physically afterwards, I am less likely to buy it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When I started and I had a bad day I'd comb the motivational threads on MFP and it always picked me up. I also took my measurements weekly and kept a journal. When the scale didn't move, I'd go to my journal and see how many inches I'd lost--that always set me back on track.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have a picture of Candice Swanepoel standing next to a more regular looking person. I ask myself if I'm satisfied looking like the one person or want to look a little more like Candice tomorrow. I know it's silly, (Since I haven't won the genetic lottery) but it works for me.